What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Denver Post Editorial: Time to fire Mike Bohn

Thanks for your candor. Your comment about having no Plan B is what has infuriated me the most about how "coaching searches" are conducted. They aren't searches at all, which is why we're in this predicament. The Jones experience is embarrassing. We're a better program with higher expectations than all this. "Plan A" should always be this: Find a circle of candidates who are legitimately interested in taking this job. With our understanding of what it takes to succeed here, pick the one who is the right fit. They might all be good in their current jobs, but that doesn't mean they're the right fit for this place. These guys take a "Ready, Fire, Aim" approach to hiring, and it just leaves too much to chance.

I'm just not convinced that Bohn and the others understand what it takes to be successful here. I hope they nail it this time, but I'm kind of cringing about what's about to happen. They really, really need to take their time and do this right, finally.

Well...it's business 101 to not put all your eggs in one basket for anything. There should have been a LIST. You go for your #1 and if there are problems you start moving your way down the rest of your list. If there was no list...this is a failure of epic proportions (and I don't think that's an exaggerated statement here folks. I mean...this is very basic stuff. Anyone can be forgiven for not getting their #1 choice. If you have made no contingency plans for what to do if you somehow DON'T get your #1 choice...that's a basic, basic business failure that scores you an "F" in business school).

Obviously we don't know if this is true...but if it is, not only is Bohn nowhere near the guy I had hoped a CU A.D. would be, but the people that hired him and worked with him aren't either. I really, really hope this isn't true. If it is...I am going to have to jump on the fire Bohn bandwagon (because if he really made that basic of a mistake...he's going to make a lot more down the road. That's really unbelievable if he just assumed he would get his 1st choice when everyone was scrambling and competing for the best coaches and we had no plan on who to get after BJ backed out...:bang:. )

C'mon Bohn...prove this wrong...:ahhhhh:

I'm sorry, but I highly doubt that Bohn has been sitting on his hands since Butch turned us down. I also highly doubt that they didn't have a 'list' that they've been working on.

I think we're going to have to get our **** together real fast, then pull an inside straight. The Butch betrayal was shellshocking. There was no Plan B. There wasn't much movement in the 48 hours after Butch reneged. I'm not sure of any movement this weekend. It is possible that things are being handled so deftly and surreptitiously that a hire could be rolled out to everyone's surprise this week. But that level of dexterity and sealed lips has not been on display at any point in this process or any other. What makes this process so different is the bunker mentality that is shutting out so many people and University aspects that are normally part of the process - so, it is possible that things are moving. I just don't think it's happening, given all the givens.

Biosonic - not aware of any such inquiries from existing coaches, but there are alot of channels that those come through, I only get wind if they happen a certain way.

Buffedup - my wife will tell you "bad"

Is Solich's inexperience part of the problem, since he's the one conducting the search?

Bohn said he wanted to hire a coach "ASAP." He has an unusual definition of ASAP. I'm sure Bohn has a list now. But his list at the start was

1. Butch Jones
2. Butch Jones
3. Butch Jones
4. Butch Jones
5. n/a

It's not a hangin' offense to lose your first choice. But what is another black mark on Bohn's resume is that it's known by everyone that we were turned down. Now, whichever coach takes this job is seen as our second or third choice.

The dog and pony show we put on for Jones just didn't seem necessary. If it's George Solich who orchestrated that, well all I can say is that his heart was in the right place (and his wallet), but his head was not.

To the comment on whether Bohn has sitting on his hands - no way. I'm critical of his end product, but there's no question that he's working hard to get this right. I just don't think he knows how. And given the presence of our biggest booster in these recent stories, it doesn't sound like Bohn controls this situation at all. That does not bode well for his future here, in my view.

Bohn said he wanted to hire a coach "ASAP." He has an unusual definition of ASAP. I'm sure Bohn has a list now. But his list at the start was

1. Butch Jones
2. Butch Jones
3. Butch Jones
4. Butch Jones
5. n/a

And you got this directly from that doper at KGNU, correct? Seems right to me.

Is Solich's inexperience part of the problem, since he's the one conducting the search?

Where was that reported?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this is what's gone on:

1. CU is united in a vision on building the football infrastructure (at least in concept, if not in details).
2. The selection of a coach and who has authority to select is challenged by numerous factions (CU is way too political).
3. Solich and attached boosters have stepped in to try to take politics out with the Golden Rule (he who has the gold makes the rules). But Solich is not the only booster with a voice and this is not a united group.
4. With a salary in the $2.5 million range and a 9-figure facilities project on the table at a BCS program that has shown it could win a national championship and located in one of the best college towns in America -- there are lots of coaches who are interested.
5. After screening the list, Jones was the clear #1 choice (within budget, BCS coaching success, clean resume w/ academic priorities).
6. Jones backing out of a done deal caused CU to scramble. Do they go to a less desirable/less expensive candidate who carries more risk or do they find the money to hire someone who was as high or higher on the list as Jones but may cost more than what they thought was the max budget?

I don't believe there was a clear Plan B. I think there was a plan for a Plan B that they never thought they'd have to implement.

Where was that reported?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this is what's gone on:

I don't believe there was a clear Plan B. I think there was a plan for a Plan B that they never thought they'd have to implement.

Well if that's true, that's the failure right there. That's what contingency plans are for… Planning for what you don't think will (or hope won't) happen.

Again, let's hope that's not the case. Because if it is, we're going to have a lot more problems than just hiring the latest football coach with this athletic director…

6. Jones backing out of a done deal caused CU to scramble. Do they go to a less desirable/less expensive candidate who carries more risk or do they find the money to hire someone who was as high or higher on the list as Jones but may cost more than what they thought was the max budget?

This is the part that perplexes me. How could they have seen Butch Jones as a "sure thing" hire? Yes he's a fine coach, but we all know that's only part of the formula here.

Did he show a burning fire to coach at CU? Did he rebuild a faded power into relevance? Does he know anything about building a winner in a TRUE power conference? Does he know anything about the recruiting landscape in the West / Southwest?

No to all of the above. The fact that HE's the guy that was considered low risk is why this process has me very nervous.

Bohn wanted Dunlap, was dead set on him. Boyle only got the interview because of all of the impossible-to-ignore references coming in. Then he crushed the interview.

I've haven't been posting this week, mostly because what I know I can't share, and what I know is making me lose my mind. I'm also pretty sure that if I put anything out there, it's going to get leaked. I know it's only because we all desperately want to know what is going on, and because we care so much.

In every sci-fi show, there is inevitably the episode where the main characters get placed in an alternate reality, and almost immediately someone (who they are friends with in normal reality) runs up to them, pointing a gun in their face, shouting "What faction are you?!?!?"

This is what Buff Nation feels like right now. There are divisions and factions. Critical of Bohn? Buffs4Life scum. Tuned out? Not a real fan. Blindly supporting whichever candidate is going to be hired? Part of the problem. I kind of just want to know which faction I'm in, so when one of you asks me at gunpoint, I'll know how to answer.
And you'd better have the right answer, mother ****er!

This is the part that perplexes me. How could they have seen Butch Jones as a "sure thing" hire? Yes he's a fine coach, but we all know that's only part of the formula here.

Did he show a burning fire to coach at CU? Did he rebuild a faded power into relevance? Does he know anything about building a winner in a TRUE power conference? Does he know anything about the recruiting landscape in the West / Southwest?

No to all of the above. The fact that HE's the guy that was considered low risk is why this process has me very nervous.

He did say 'Yes' on Monday and again on Wed, so it is somewhat understandable that they were caught off guard when he backed out

He did say 'Yes' on Monday and again on Wed, so it is somewhat understandable that they were caught off guard when he backed out

Ok let me clarify: I'm just very disappointed that they settled on the guy in the first place. To me was very far from the profile of our next coach.

To your point, sure, I can see why they were blind-sided. It's unfortunate that it happened but I hope we're smart enough to avoid being left at the aisle a second time. What is needed is a smarter approach to screening out candidates who don't really and truly want this job.

Yep.

It's not like other coaches weren't being contacted prior to the Jones negotiations. Those negotiations for the week leading up to his interview and the week of back-and-forth that followed amounted to almost 2 weeks of not pursuing the other options.

I can imagine that when you get consensus on a candidate and then reach agreement on a candidate, that it's damn hard to have had "if this doesn't work, here's who we're targeting" in place. Even having that conversation within the framework of the various factions at CU would have risked breaking up the consensus on Jones.

This needs to play out the right way. This happened once before at CU with our women's basketball coach. The candidate was lined up, the deal was done, he back out... and an absolute disaster of a hire in Kathy McConnell-Miller was rushed. Let's not make that same mistake again.

I do not know what to think because I have no clue what the truth is. Looks like Bohn thought he had his man but didn't realize his man was using CU as, one, a backup plan and, two, leverage with Tennessee. So, who do you get pissed at here? The guy negotiating in good faith but being naive or the guy using you to get his dream (nightmare?) job? I go both ways with Bohn. He really tried to step up to the plate and got used by a Bourbon St. shyster. Do you blame the sucker or the shyster?

I have been under the assumption that, out of just plane good sense, Bohn had been talking to others just in case. If he hadn't been and got totally sent back to "start," then he is a moron and CU should, probably, take a long hard look at him. Thing is, after this coach is hired, Bohn is back on cruise control for at least a couple of years. Unless firing him would heal the wounds that now permeate CU. Maybe a new guy/gal would be a way to re-unite Buff Nation. Hell, I don't know anymore.

Yeah for three days CU thought their coaching search as done because the candidate they offered the job to said YES. There wasn't any reason to go do more interviews or search out more candidates - the search was done. They had confirmation straight from the horse's mouth.

That all blew up when Jones decided he was going to pursue the Tennessee job after he had verbally agreed to accept the CU job multiple times.

I'd rather they take an extra week and get the RIGHT coach rather than just get the next guy who says yes.

Back