What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Do we fire Mac?

Regarding assistant changes, I agree that quick hooks and speedy replacements are so far from what he’s done previously. In fact, the guy is a complete turtle when conducting searches. I’m also loathe to consider Lance or Rick riding in like white knights to save the day. However, I think this is a time when the AD does step in. Could be wishful thinking, but I see the circumstances as different this time.

Regarding replacing Eliot, hard to think you attract a quality DC under these circumstances if you hear the head coach is floating his name around, and the last guy got one year replacing 8 starters on D. The same holds true for position coaches, but they are much more likely to take the risk than a coordinator.

Did Mac mail it in? I don’t know, could be. Also might be that he is mightily frustrated by the team’s performance and it comes across as disinterest. Players seem to like MacIntyre a lot in the past.

Then there is this: Effectively in the offseason, he got a formal reprimand in a situation where he feels he did nothing wrong. If you were formally reprimanded at your job or got a performance improvement plan, how would you react? I know that if I got one, I’d be looking too. I’m not sure how toxic that situation is. You could manage around it, by saying it’s mostly PR crap on the fine, don’t worry about it.

If it is toxic, then perhaps you do a negotiated buy out as others have suggested. Take $5 million now, and go coach Rice.

ASU just fired a coach that was 6-3 in conference, going to a bowl and has 43 months and over 11 million left on his contract.

Off season weightlifting will begin at 6:30 a.m., instead of 6:45 a.m. Working harder will be the difference.
Speaking of that, our O and D lines were manhandled this year. I’m not impressed with Drew Wilson so far. Hey, that’s it! Fire Drew! That’s the answer!

Then there is this: Effectively in the offseason, he got a formal reprimand in a situation where he feels he did nothing wrong. If you were formally reprimanded at your job or got a performance improvement plan, how would you react? I know that if I got one, I’d be looking too. I’m not sure how toxic that situation is. You could manage around it, by saying it’s mostly PR crap on the fine, don’t worry about it.

If it is toxic, then perhaps you do a negotiated buy out as others have suggested. Take $5 million now, and go coach Rice.

There definitely could be something to that. Or it could be icing on a cake.

Leavitt was a head above Eliot. But rumor has it Leavitt and MM butted heads. Maybe Leavitt left for that (and the money). Maybe Leavitt saw the writing on the wall. MM seems to have had trouble targeting good assistants. Or maybe he just cant attract the good assistants because they dont want to come here because of him or because of other reasons.

With CU I am always suspicious that there are factors behind the scenes that make it harder to here. We dont let just anyone in anymore. We dont hold special classes in the AD building for football players like the SEC does. We cant control Boulder PD (Baylor) or even CUPD for that matter. On the hand at least we can now offer multi year deals to assistants and JC transfers now have a better chance. And you cant say facilities are the issue anymore either. I dont know...

There definitely could be something to that. Or it could be icing on a cake.

Leavitt was a head above Eliot. But rumor has it Leavitt and MM butted heads. Maybe Leavitt left for that (and the money). Maybe Leavitt saw the writing on the wall. With CU I am always suspicious that there are factors behind the scenes that make it harder to win here. We dont let just anyone in anymore. We dont hold special classes in the AD building for football players like the SEC does. At least we can now offer multi years to assistants and JC transfers now have a better chance. And you cant say facilities are the issue anymore either. I dont know...

F58C08BC-88AF-4FBC-B483-D4CD8229831D.jpeg

Regarding assistant changes, I agree that quick hooks and speedy replacements are so far from what he’s done previously. In fact, the guy is a complete turtle when conducting searches. I’m also loathe to consider Lance or Rick riding in like white knights to save the day. However, I think this is a time when the AD does step in. Could be wishful thinking, but I see the circumstances as different this time.

Regarding replacing Eliot, hard to think you attract a quality DC under these circumstances if you hear the head coach is floating his name around, and the last guy got one year replacing 8 starters on D. The same holds true for position coaches, but they are much more likely to take the risk than a coordinator.

Did Mac mail it in? I don’t know, could be. Also might be that he is mightily frustrated by the team’s performance and it comes across as disinterest. Players seem to like MacIntyre a lot in the past.

Had the Tumpkin stuff happened now instead of last year, he's fired for cause. Look at the climate we're in-there is ZERO tolerance for anything that can be perceived as mistreatment of women.

I have to say, I felt bad for Mac getting dragged through the mud in the whole Tumpkin mess, I'm sure having you're character questioned like that was not fun.

But that is no excuse for this season's performance, give me a f**king break. He's a grown man in a profession where you are criticized for everything you do on a daily basis - get over it. He's in for a rude awakening if he thinks fleeing to the SEC will be easier than dealing with folks in Boulder who were not nice to him. This business requires a thick skin - does Mac have one?

I'm disappointed in Chev too. The blackoutboyz were very inconsistent, dropping wide open passes etc. The whole team seemed to lack focus all year, with the exception of the Cal game.

I'm disappointed in Chev too. The blackoutboyz were very inconsistent, dropping wide open passes etc. The whole team seemed to lack focus all year, with the exception of the Cal game.

Those fools were too busy posing for pictures acting like wanna be thugs. Only Jack Kroll can save CU football now.

They aren't still paying off the buyout of the previous two coaches.

CU is not either. Hawkins left 7 years ago with 2 years left on his contract. Embree's contract was chump change. Embree made $742K per year and had 3 years left - less than MacIntyre makes in a year. The narrative that CU is hampered by old coaches contracts is worn out and untruel

Absolutely everything you need to know, to answer the question. From Oliver:
"I don't know if the week off was more of a detriment than it was a help," CU junior cornerback Isaiah Oliver said. "It kind of seemed like we didn't really know what to do offensively and defensively. We were trying to figure it out on the sidelines, different schemes and different things to attack them with, but it seemed like we couldn't really get anything to go our way, to go right. It's unfortunate for the seniors and for this team."
That's telling. Wow.

"I don't know if the week off was more of a detriment than it was a help," CU junior cornerback Isaiah Oliver said. "It kind of seemed like we didn't really know what to do offensively and defensively. We were trying to figure it out on the sidelines, different schemes and different things to attack them with, but it seemed like we couldn't really get anything to go our way, to go right. It's unfortunate for the seniors and for this team."
He might have gone to the NFL anyway, but anyone believe he stays next year having heard this?

Just so I’m clear, the only reason we’re keeping Mac at this point is because we can’t afford the buyout, right? Great.

I have a feeling in the pit of my stomach that next year is gonna be some Embree-era ****show without Phil and if MM stays for a lame duck year. God I hope I'm wrong

The Bowl Game Counter on the home page is optimistic as hell. Whoever is in charge of that needs to lay off the kool aide.

I think we all need some perspective here-but a quick point first. Given this current political climate, Mike MacIntyre was fortunate to keep his job after all the Joe Tumpkin drama last year. I keep reading he is bitter and that that instance somehow damaged his relationship with his employer, and I think that is ludicrous. In my opinion, if he is bitter and has any balls whatsoever, he should do the same thing Gary Anderson did.
As far as the Ole Miss chatter.......Jens brought up a good point in an exchange I had with him on twitter. As much of a failure as this season or even last night was, using it as a microcosm for MacIntyre's tenure here is fairly short-sighted. I think we all remember where this program was when he got here, and what a disaster his predecessor was-he's done a really good job here. Its not hard to see why he makes sense down there, especially if they get hit hard (which I think happens)-he's worked there before, and he relishes in taking on challenges like the ones he's faced at SJSU and here. If he goes, it would make sense to me-and I for one will be appreciative of the work he's done here, and I'll probably root for him at Ole Miss as a result.
If he stays, this is basically a Brian Kelly type of off-season. Chev is the only assistant IMO who is safe-only because getting rid of him would do too much damage in recruiting. Of the 18 commits we have, he's listed as the primary recruiter on half of them IIRC (24/7 sports). Given Todd Graham is now on the market, I'm calling him about our DC job TODAY.
You had me right up until the end. ASU’s defense is hot garbage.

Back