What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Email Todd Saliman About Transfer Rules

I’m going to email Sailman this week. Guy used to be the CFO right? I’m gonna tell him he’s about to waste another $15m if he doesn’t get these 4 year school transfer rules fixed.

Is there a possible loophole? I'm just completely spitballing so pardon me if this is a stupid idea but are the requirements less stringent for say, UCCS? Could a player transfer their credits to UCCS and then have their credits in the CU system and them transfer more easily to CU?
If you can believe CU Admin is even more stupid than we believe, my best friend from college's little brother went to CU for his first two years. He was having a hard time with things there and decided to transfer closer to home to UCCS. He's ready to go back to CU now but he will have to go back with fewer credits than he earned at UCCS because CU won't accept a lot of business school credits from UCCS into CU even though the schools are apart of the same campus system lol. So no, that loophole wouldn't work.

100% agree with this-
I think we need someone 'lawyer' like who can present the info with specific examples in a precise way without boring the recipient.
If said form letter can be posted then we can fire away with e-mails to Saliman. Should they also be sent to George ? I honestly think
Mr. Magoo DiStephano is the issue.

I agree with the sentiment, but I don't agree with the presentation being "detailed." DiStephano has heard all the detailed arguments. No doubt, he has a staff of lawyers that parse the various rules, regulations, and statutes that regulate his job.

Instead, I think there is an internal hypocrisy in his position: he wants all of us to bear the burden of his comfy elitism by way of supporting the "student-athletes" with our "CU pride" and money. Sure. We should show up and pay for all the amenities of a real football program, as he sits on his lofty administrative throne looking down at all of us doing so, secure in the coffers of his position.

Someone (or a group of someone's) needs to tell him that we get the gig, and the gig is up. We may be slow to learn, but we understand the con now. The ultimate problems of the football program do not rest on the players, coaches, or even AD (they just take all the blame and all the firings). The problems are greed and a bad faith intransigence from he and his ilk.

So, here's the deal, Phil, we don't show up, pay for tickets, etc. based on his false loyalty plea.

We show up when he does. When he shows up with some actual skin in the game, some real changes, some real commitment to understanding the world AS IT IS NOW, not at it was post-reconstruction.

Future CU players and coaches will thank us.

Signed,

CU Fan Base.

A random person's beliefs about what drives policy at CU (whether accurate or not) are irrelevant and often harmful. In what world is it persuasive to call the President or Chancellor of a university "a false elitist?"

I get it. Many people cannot get past their own biases, even when it's necessary to make a persuasive argument. It's fine for anyone to shake their fist at the perceived "false elitism" of the academy in general and CU in particular, but it's not going to move anyone involved in that institution. What will move them is framing the issue as a challenge to economic and racial diversity--something important in their sphere and something they must at least pretend to address. CU's transfer policy effectively makes it more expensive for transfer students (athletes or not) to attend CU as opposed to other, peer institutions.
This ^^^^

If you can believe CU Admin is even more stupid than we believe, my best friend from college's little brother went to CU for his first two years. He was having a hard time with things there and decided to transfer closer to home to UCCS. He's ready to go back to CU now but he will have to go back with fewer credits than he earned at UCCS because CU won't accept a lot of business school credits from UCCS into CU even though the schools are apart of the same campus system lol. So no, that loophole wouldn't work.
Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

CU campuses are a loose federation that likes to compete with one another

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

CU campuses are a loose federation that likes to compete with one another
I think Saliman has a lot on his plate. This is an issue he will likely want to fix- bringing the system together. The last hire for president didn’t work out and left a void so now we have a guy who I think is the right person for the job. I think he will fix CU athletics as one priority. Can’t help but he impressed that several days after he gives Brian Howell an interview the HC and DC are fired. Whether he was responsible for that or not, his quotes in that article said he expects excellence and it likely sent a clear message to those who work for him.

A random person's beliefs about what drives policy at CU (whether accurate or not) are irrelevant and often harmful. In what world is it persuasive to call the President or Chancellor of a university "a false elitist?"

I get it. Many people cannot get past their own biases, even when it's necessary to make a persuasive argument. It's fine for anyone to shake their fist at the perceived "false elitism" of the academy in general and CU in particular, but it's not going to move anyone involved in that institution. What will move them is framing the issue as a challenge to economic and racial diversity--something important in their sphere and something they must at least pretend to address. CU's transfer policy effectively makes it more expensive for transfer students (athletes or not) to attend CU as opposed to other, peer institutions.
Great point. Love to see you pile on with your input to Todd. Please share when you do. Not being an ass but we really do want to get in their ears. My approach was one and I know there are others who may be even more effective. Let’s get them all on their way to him

My hope is that we are able to negotiate with a coach based on Phil leaving after the year.

Saliman can negotiate transfers and academic issues with the coach in good faith because he’ll be installing a chancellor that agreed with his vision. So maybe it’ll be tougher year one, but then we’ll be able to make the changes you need and you’ll be more settled in.

All the more reason to put the screws to Todd as hard as we can so he hears us. Focus on how the rules negatively impact diversity and disadvantaged kids. He’s a CFO, so also focus on how paying this buyout will ultimately be worthless without more change and cause another big payout down the road.

Everyone keep the heat on him, we can do this

The thing
If academic rankings are important to Phil, why are they declining at CU?
the thing he’s not considering, but everyone here knows, is that a successful and thereby visible football program increases applications adding to the selectivity of applicants. That and the overall perception of the university make for higher rankings.

it’s like Phil doesn’t understand how USN&WR rankings work, something the Chancellor should know well

My hope is that we are able to negotiate with a coach based on Phil leaving after the year.

Saliman can negotiate transfers and academic issues with the coach in good faith because he’ll be installing a chancellor that agreed with his vision. So maybe it’ll be tougher year one, but then we’ll be able to make the changes you need and you’ll be more settled in.

All the more reason to put the screws to Todd as hard as we can so he hears us. Focus on how the rules negatively impact diversity and disadvantaged kids. He’s a CFO, so also focus on how paying this buyout will ultimately be worthless without more change and cause another big payout down the road.

Everyone keep the heat on him, we can do this
I don't think a coach takes this job contingent on a "wink wink nudge nudge" kind of assurance that obstacles will be removed. I think any coach coming into CU would want that kind of thing in writing, like MacIntyre had with the facilities. Basically, transfer hurdles will be removed or he can resign, with the school still owing him full buyout number or something along those lines.

Or, Saliman is able to institute a special exception waiver to CU's rule that is athlete specific.

I'm very interested in Howell's follow up to his conversation with Saliman as he specifically said they talked about transfer hurdles, financial investment, etc and Howell said "I can assure you, CU has a VERY pro-athletics President".

I don't think a coach takes this job contingent on a "wink wink nudge nudge" kind of assurance that obstacles will be removed. I think any coach coming into CU would want that kind of thing in writing, like MacIntyre had with the facilities. Basically, transfer hurdles will be removed or he can resign, with the school still owing him full buyout number or something along those lines.

Or, Saliman is able to institute a special exception waiver to CU's rule that is athlete specific.

I'm very interested in Howell's follow up to his conversation with Saliman as he specifically said they talked about transfer hurdles, financial investment, etc and Howell said "I can assure you, CU has a VERY pro-athletics President".
I’m reduced to hoping for this because I’m not confident it’s fixed the right way. Definitely don’t think it’s the best option

I’m reduced to hoping for this because I’m not confident it’s fixed the right way. Definitely don’t think it’s the best option
Without some serious public/political pressure from the state, pointing out the motivation behind their rules (unnecessarily gouging transfers for more $$), I can't imagine CU is going to change their policies and forego the extra money associated with them.

Since transferring athletes are on scholarship, and that extra money the University makes for more credits needing to be taken is just coming from the AD anyways, they are just robbing Peter to pay Paul anyways, so a special exception for athletes would make the most sense.

I posted in another thread that this is purely a money grab by CU. They routinely don't count credits unless required by the state to do so. Even for classes that are functionally the same, but don't have identical curriculum. This has been going on since at least the mid 90's. And it affects all students, not just athletes. It needs to change, for the benefit of all students that are trying to obtain a degree.
I just commented about this in a personal anecdote in the #firephil thread. It’s bull**** posturing that is really just CU shooting itself in the foot in regards to academics altogether.

Without some serious public/political pressure from the state, pointing out the motivation behind their rules (unnecessarily gouging transfers for more $$), I can't imagine CU is going to change their policies and forego the extra money associated with them.

Since transferring athletes are on scholarship, and that extra money the University makes for more credits needing to be taken is just coming from the AD anyways, they are just robbing Peter to pay Paul anyways, so a special exception for athletes would make the most sense.

This is right in the range of the point I was making earlier: the only force for change will come from the bottom line. When the football team stops drawing fans to the point where it really impacts the administration, they may reconsider "changes." I wish the players weren't collateral damage in all of this, but that's exactly the position CU admin has put them in.

I couldn't have been more agitated by the Chancellor's plea for the FANS to step up and support the players. Of the three people at the press conference, two admitted to needing to do better and discussed ways that they could improve within their limited sphere of influence. The other person said so such thing. The Chancellor merely fell back on the same argument his has--no doubt--made to every AD and coach who have ever worked under him: Nothing I can do. Not my problem: "you are only allowed to consider a small subset of players that will "fit into" the limitations I'm giving you, and that should be enough for you."

That made me irate.

I was listening to LA Radio today, and they have no real interest in talking about CU Football, obviously. But, discussing the firing, they went on a tirade about how embarrassing CU is to the PAC12!! The PAC!2!! They talked about how the AZ game was "our close" game, losing by 22 points, and how there are some real teams ranked, which are being dragged down by the AZ's and CU's of the conference.

I wish I could send that to CU Admin. They are responsible for CU becoming a national laughingstock. Good job, guys!

This is right in the range of the point I was making earlier: the only force for change will come from the bottom line. When the football team stops drawing fans to the point where it really impacts the administration, they may reconsider "changes." I wish the players weren't collateral damage in all of this, but that's exactly the position CU admin has put them in.

I couldn't have been more agitated by the Chancellor's plea for the FANS to step up and support the players. Of the three people at the press conference, two admitted to needing to do better and discussed ways that they could improve within their limited sphere of influence. The other person said so such thing. The Chancellor merely fell back on the same argument his has--no doubt--made to every AD and coach who have ever worked under him: Nothing I can do. Not my problem: "you are only allowed to consider a small subset of players that will "fit into" the limitations I'm giving you, and that should be enough for you."

That made me irate.
"You're either coaching it or allowing it to happen" is a common phrase used that I think applies to the CU President and Phil DiStefano over the years.

The hope is that we now have a President who is going to correct the behavior of his flagship Chancellor, or take matters into his own hands.

The hand wringing about transfer rules misses the bigger picture, IMO. We need to be conducting a large scale peer analysis to see what our peers are doing across the board. Transfer rules are only a small part of the overall picture. If we believe that Washington (for instance) is a peer organization, we should be analyzing what they are doing at an institutional level to help their program. That includes transfer rules, but also includes things like academic support systems, majors, financial support from the school, etc. I have very serious doubts that we have ever done anything like this. It would take more effort than Phil is willing to put forth. Cancer won’t cure itself.

The hand wringing about transfer rules misses the bigger picture, IMO. We need to be conducting a large scale peer analysis to see what our peers are doing across the board. Transfer rules are only a small part of the overall picture. If we believe that Washington (for instance) is a peer organization, we should be analyzing what they are doing at an institutional level to help their program. That includes transfer rules, but also includes things like academic support systems, majors, financial support from the school, etc. I have very serious doubts that we have ever done anything like this. It would take more effort than Phil is willing to put forth. Cancer won’t cure itself.
The transfer issue is merely a case-in-point, one that we have some form of access to seeing. We are able to use it has a cudgel in the darkness against the unyielding walls that oppose us. But we absolutely need to do as you suggest, and it's astonishingly negligent if it hasn't been done already. I assume the highest ups have a real appreciation for what other schools are doing and simply chose to do things their own way--for reasons passing sanity.

Here's what I just sent:

Hello Mr Saliman-

I'm reaching out as a concerned alumnus.

As a graduate who has relocated to North Carolina, one of the ways I remain connected to the university is through athletics. CU athletics have accomplished a number of successes recently in which alumni can take pride. Football, however, towers above all of those sports in the national consciousness, and I was glad to see the actions taken by Rick George and Phil DiStefano yesterday to demonstrate that the performance level of the football program is not in line with the expectations of the University of Colorado leadership.

You mentioned in a recent interview that athletics create an "an informal way to talk about the work of the university," and in that vein I heard a question posed to Mr. Distefano in yesterday's press conference about the transfer of credits; it made me think about how it might impact transfer students in general. It seems like CU's credit transfer rules create artificial barriers for transfer students. I am proud of CU's vision to "be a premier, accessible and transformative public university that provides a quality and affordable education...CU will expand student success, [and] diversity."

My concern is that these self-imposed credit transfer rules may create barriers to access, and to reduce the potential pool of CU scholars to those from the most wealthy backgrounds that can afford to repeat multiple credit hours. It is also concerning as it seems like it might also make it more difficult for the athletic programs, including football, to be competitive for athletes looking to transfer from their current program. Chancellor Distefano's answer to this question concerns me; it seems to be out of alignment with the vision of the university to be accessible, affordable, and diverse.

As Mike Sanford said in the same press conference, change is scary, but "change is also an opportunity." The change of leadership within the football program and the change of of the university's presidential leadership presents an opportunity examine the admissions rules of the university, especially how they compare to peer institutions. I would deeply encourage you to act on this opportunity.

Thanks for your time and consideration,

Denver_SC

Class of '06

Here's what I just sent:

Hello Mr Saliman-

I'm reaching out as a concerned alumnus.

As a graduate who has relocated to North Carolina, one of the ways I remain connected to the university is through athletics. CU athletics have accomplished a number of successes recently in which alumni can take pride. Football, however, towers above all of those sports in the national consciousness, and I was glad to see the actions taken by Rick George and Phil DiStefano yesterday to demonstrate that the performance level of the football program is not in line with the expectations of the University of Colorado leadership.

You mentioned in a recent interview that athletics create an "an informal way to talk about the work of the university," and in that vein I heard a question posed to Mr. Distefano in yesterday's press conference about the transfer of credits; it made me think about how it might impact transfer students in general. It seems like CU's credit transfer rules create artificial barriers for transfer students. I am proud of CU's vision to "be a premier, accessible and transformative public university that provides a quality and affordable education...CU will expand student success, [and] diversity."

My concern is that these self-imposed credit transfer rules may create barriers to access, and to reduce the potential pool of CU scholars to those from the most wealthy backgrounds that can afford to repeat multiple credit hours. It is also concerning as it seems like it might also make it more difficult for the athletic programs, including football, to be competitive for athletes looking to transfer from their current program. Chancellor Distefano's answer to this question concerns me; it seems to be out of alignment with the vision of the university to be accessible, affordable, and diverse.

As Mike Sanford said in the same press conference, change is scary, but "change is also an opportunity." The change of leadership within the football program and the change of of the university's presidential leadership presents an opportunity examine the admissions rules of the university, especially how they compare to peer institutions. I would deeply encourage you to act on this opportunity.

Thanks for your time and consideration,

Denver_SC

Class of '06

This is excellent. I like how you bring up barriers to access for all transfer students and tie those polices to CU's stated vision and still tell the truth about what motivated you to write.

Last edited:
I wrote Saliman last week and this was his reply just now. Seems that he used part of the canned response that went out a week or so ago, but at least updated the beginning to include the recent events.

Might copy @Denver_sc e-mail as a template and put it in my own words for a reply.

Dear Mr. Alabaster Yak,

Thank you for your email and apologies for the tardy reply. I am as disappointed as you with the way football season has started, and the move we made yesterday with Coach Dorrell was necessary. As a CU alumnus, I too am a fan with high expectations. As president, I provide important financial support to the athletic department in general and the football team in particular. Clearly, we must do better. I am looking to those closest to the situation – Athletic Director George and Boulder campus Chancellor DiStefano – to bring forward ideas and actions on how we can improve, particularly with the coaching hire. In the meantime, I intend to continue to support our student-athletes.

Sincerely,

Todd Saliman, President

Likely true and agree. But that issue is too big. Strike while situation on transfer impediments and leadership failures are open. Be brief. Don’t show your mastery (or lack there of) on letter. He understands issue and situation. Volume of letters is more important than volume in letters.

I wrote Saliman last week and this was his reply just now. Seems that he used part of the canned response that went out a week or so ago, but at least updated the beginning to include the recent events.

Might copy @Denver_sc e-mail as a template and put it in my own words for a reply.

Dear Mr. Alabaster Yak,

Thank you for your email and apologies for the tardy reply. I am as disappointed as you with the way football season has started, and the move we made yesterday with Coach Dorrell was necessary. As a CU alumnus, I too am a fan with high expectations. As president, I provide important financial support to the athletic department in general and the football team in particular. Clearly, we must do better. I am looking to those closest to the situation – Athletic Director George and Boulder campus Chancellor DiStefano – to bring forward ideas and actions on how we can improve, particularly with the coaching hire. In the meantime, I intend to continue to support our student-athletes.

Sincerely,

Todd Saliman, President
I think Mr Saliman has his veto pen warmed up and will not permit RG and PD to do anything reckless or stupid with this hire or the AD. When you use the words “bring forward”, that means don’t do anything stupid without approval fukktards

Back