What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Email Todd Saliman About Transfer Rules

Obviously time will tell but the fact that he seems willing and active in making changes is welcome news.

Saliman seems to be a breath of fresh air so far
Yeah I guess he’s not going to say, “I agree, DiStephano and George need to go now and I’m pushing them out the door”, so this is probably about as good as can be expected.

We'll see. However, that comment would contradict what Distefano said at the press conference. Ultimately, he is getting hammered about this from fans and alumni. I think he is taking the right approach.

We'll see. However, that comment would contradict what Distefano said at the press conference. Ultimately, he is getting hammered about this from fans and alumni. I think he is taking the right approach.
We need to stop referring to the comment DiStefano made at the press conference as anything relevant. The guy thought the transfer question and issue were about JUCO. He's clearly out of the loop on everything, nearing retirement, and it's obvious he is highly unlikely to have much input on football matters going forward.

We need to stop referring to the comment DiStefano made at the press conference as anything relevant. The guy thought the transfer question and issue were about JUCO. He's clearly out of the loop on everything, nearing retirement, and it's obvious he is highly unlikely to have much input on football matters going forward.
The fact that he's even included in any of these public pressers is an abuse of the concept of professional courtesy.

I hope you're right

The fact that he's even included in any of these public pressers is an abuse of the concept of professional courtesy.
He's still officially the Chancellor of CU Boulder and firing the highest paid state employee in history requires that person to be present and field questions. He is an empty vessel at this point

I am imagining Phil sitting in his office wondering why people are so pissed off at him.
Im Out GIF

This is how I imagine Phil every day

I’m very confused by this response. It appears he realizes there is a problem with transfer admissions and is talking (maybe doing something) about the problem.

this is not how dysfunctional CU operates.
I think it hit home when fans and media started piling on about how fvcking ridiculous it is that it's easier to transfer to Cal than Colorado. There's no way to justify or defend the policies which have created this reality and changes are being forced.

Keep up the pressure. It is working.

Just realize that the issues go beyond transfer rules. The modus operandi of CU is to address one issue and then pretend there’s nothing keeping them from success. Look at the multi year assistant contracts as an example. That was an issue, but certainly not the only one. Transfer rules are one issue, but not even close to the only one.

Just realize that the issues go beyond transfer rules. The modus operandi of CU is to address one issue and then pretend there’s nothing keeping them from success. Look at the multi year assistant contracts as an example. That was an issue, but certainly not the only one. Transfer rules are one issue, but not even close to the only one.
What other issues are you referring to?

It must have been "clean out the inbox day" for Salliman because I got a response to my email, too (emphasis mine):

Dear [Denver_SC],

Thank you for your email. I am as disappointed as you with the way football season has gone and think the recent changes made with the leadership of the program were necessary. I have high expectations for the Buffs. We must do better. I expect leadership on the campus and in the athletic department to bring forward ideas and actions on how we can improve, including in the areas you cite. You and many others have shared your thoughts on the program, which I appreciate. I hear you. Clearly, our fans are passionate, which is a significant asset to CU. We are focused on improving and I am confident we will do so. In the meantime, I intend to continue to support our student-athletes.

Sincerely,

Todd Saliman, President

It must have been "clean out the inbox day" for Salliman because I got a response to my email, too (emphasis mine):

Dear [Denver_SC],

Thank you for your email. I am as disappointed as you with the way football season has gone and think the recent changes made with the leadership of the program were necessary. I have high expectations for the Buffs. We must do better. I expect leadership on the campus and in the athletic department to bring forward ideas and actions on how we can improve, including in the areas you cite. You and many others have shared your thoughts on the program, which I appreciate. I hear you. Clearly, our fans are passionate, which is a significant asset to CU. We are focused on improving and I am confident we will do so. In the meantime, I intend to continue to support our student-athletes.

Sincerely,

Todd Saliman, President
I got that same response last week. I think this direct response about transfers was because the poster's email to him was short and direct about the transfer issues.

What other issues are you referring to?
Academic support systems, admissions, the issue of charging the AD out of state tuition for every scholarship athlete are three examples I can list off the top of my head. What I’d really like to see is a comprehensive peer analysis to find places where we are putting ourselves at a disadvantage when compared to peer institutions. I believe we would be surprised to find there are a lot of things our peers are doing (or not doing) that put them in a position to be more successful than we are.

Academic support systems, admissions, the issue of charging the AD out of state tuition for every scholarship athlete are three examples I can list off the top of my head. What is really like to see is a comprehensive peer analysis to find places where we are putting ourselves at a disadvantage when compared to peer institutions. I believe we would be surprised to find there are a lot of things our peers are doing (or not doing) that put them in a position to be more successful than we are.
To my knowledge, the only real admission issues have been pertaining to transfers, JUCO and from normal Universities. I don't believe CU has trouble getting HS kids in as long as they qualify, or at least CU is fairly on par with peer institutions there. Good call on the academic support systems and in/out of state tuition, though. I have to think the academic support systems are kind of part of the support/operational staff for football that the HC basically builds out.

Unfortunately it and he is not irrelevant as he continues to be a mouthpiece that is counter productive and while he may be wrong or mis-informed, he still holds that role within the CU Campus. That is damaging in and of itself and needs to be addressed by the Todd Saliman. Either keep him out of the limelight and remove him from public appearances or if the Chancellor is going to have that role, make sure the person holding the role is competent. Regardless if you think he is relevant, he can and will do more damage with his incompetence.

Academic support systems, admissions, the issue of charging the AD out of state tuition for every scholarship athlete are three examples I can list off the top of my head. What I’d really like to see is a comprehensive peer analysis to find places where we are putting ourselves at a disadvantage when compared to peer institutions. I believe we would be surprised to find there are a lot of things our peers are doing (or not doing) that put them in a position to be more successful than we are.
As Yak mentioned, there's no issue with prep kids getting in. Academic support systems and tuition are definitely issues, but I feel like the transfer portal restrictions are the last major hurdle CU has to get over. The other two aren't great but they aren't hamstringing CU like transfers and the multi-year contracts are/were. Is CU going to put effort in to being competitive again? That would remain to be seen but if transfer restrictions are relaxed, the self-inflicted issues will be out of the way.

As Yak mentioned, there's no issue with prep kids getting in. Academic support systems and tuition are definitely issues, but I feel like the transfer portal restrictions are the last major hurdle CU has to get over. The other two aren't great but they aren't hamstringing CU like tuition and the multi-year contracts were. Is CU going to put effort in to being competitive again? That would remain to be seen but if transfer restrictions are relaxed, the self-inflicted issues will be out of the way.
Out of State Base Tuition Rate (excluding room and board on campus) is around $41,500/year * 85 scholarship players = ~$3.5m/year the AD pays to the school
In-State Base Tuition Rate is around $13,300/year * 85 scholarship players = ~$1.1m/year

Giving the AD $2.4m/year back to invest in the program instead of paying for artificially high tuition costs would be a big deal in putting together a quality staff, providing the academic resources, tutors, counselors, building a recruiting infrastructure, etc.

So, I agree the transfer stuff is the last real self imposed hurdle that can be removed and put them on par with other programs, the tuition issue would also really help. However, money in general is always going to be a hurdle that will keep CU below many peer institutions, unless Saliman and the Regents decide they are going all in with building the program back up and allow the University to help fund it with the idea that they will get paid back ten fold if the program succeeds.

As Yak mentioned, there's no issue with prep kids getting in. Academic support systems and tuition are definitely issues, but I feel like the transfer portal restrictions are the last major hurdle CU has to get over. The other two aren't great but they aren't hamstringing CU like transfers and the multi-year contracts are/were. Is CU going to put effort in to being competitive again? That would remain to be seen but if transfer restrictions are relaxed, the self-inflicted issues will be out of the way.
Didn't the basketball team just have a HS kid they couldn't get in?

Didn't the basketball team just have a HS kid they couldn't get in?
If they did, I am not aware. I'm not great at following basketball recruiting. What I do know from my sister working in the recruiting department under 2 different head coaches; if you can't get into CU out of high school academically as an athlete, you are going to have a hard time getting into most P5 schools not named Nebraska.

Last edited:
Back