What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Embree noticed the lack of effort by some on the team today

Hilarious.
What's hilarious is you and the rest of our fan base that expect this staff to turn years of ****tery around in one ****ing season. We have played against the best teams in college football. It doesn't matter what the score was. We SHOWED up. The schedule was brutal. And don't get me started on the injuries. I don't think that Vic Lombardi, reincarnated, could have done jack **** with this team. I don't even know why you guys pretend to be buff fans. Any true fan would clearly understand the challenges to this staff. I don't know where you have been, or not, but I have been to every home game for the last three seasons. Maybe then you will understand. But it's clear that you don't.

Do you not not know what may not be not happening with the support of fans not like you?

This thread makes me want to VOMIT!!! Buffs fans picking us to win no more than 3 games next year. One thing about college football, is every year is unique. Next year we will have a new QB for sure but that new QB could easily be a former highly ranked recruit that transferred here and has had this entire season to sit and watch and practice with the team. A QB can change everything for us. Look at Baylor, Look at Texas, where would Stanford be without Luck. If Wood isn't the guy, then the bluechip HS kid may be our guy. Point is, there will be a TON of change on this team next year. No way anyone can accurately predict next year's outcome.

My guess is most PAC schools next year will also be breaking in new QBs with 3 of them currently slated as first round picks in the draft, UCLA will probably be working on a regime change, and we get a much easier schedule. 6 or more wins is not out of the question. Just imagine if this team beat Cal this year. My guess is the season takes on a fairly different shape.

I am as much a kool-aid drinking optimist as anyone around here. I am also intensly loyal to the Buffs and will stick with them though thick and thin, and this year has been very thin.

I don't see a problem with being honest and realistic in looking at 3 wins next year. Our program is in a hole, getting out is going to take time.

There is no doubt in my Buff loving mind that we are on the right track and will eventually be contending for conference titles and more. At the same time to acknowledge that it will take some time doesn't mean I don't support the team and want them to win every game. Hey, I even hoped in the back of my mind last year that we were all somehow wrong about Hawk and that he would somehow turn it around. Reality told me that he should have been fired the year before and that we were going further down the tubes with him but I would have gladly been wrong.

I will be very happy to be wrong next year if we win a bunch of games but I don't think it changes the fact that I support the Buffs fully through trying times, even when my head says they aren't ready to win yet agains certain teams.

Have you watched a single game this year?

Every game, and that is my point. This year is this year and a total disaster. Next year is a whole new year with significant amount of turnover which is what college football is all about.

Look at Washington, how were they able to turn it around. I recall they went 0-12 a few years ago. College football is a revolving door. We just need to accelerate the revolving which as far as I know, we are losing alot of current players next year.

There is a real possibility that 2012 CU will be worse than this year. I don't think you've been watching these games. :wow:

So you are predicting 0-12 next year or either that we win one of our remaining games next year? Yeah, it is possible, but more likely is we win more games next year than this year. No trip to Hawaii, a bye week, easier OOC, fresh start with injuries, there are far more things to point to next year that show improvement than decline.

I am just curious but what makes you think we will be worse next year? I can see the argument of losing a veteran QB, maybe some guys on the OL, but what else is there?

Every game, and that is my point. This year is this year and a total disaster. Next year is a whole new year with significant amount of turnover which is what college football is all about.

Look at Washington, how were they able to turn it around. I recall they went 0-12 a few years ago. College football is a revolving door. We just need to accelerate the revolving which as far as I know, we are losing alot of current players next year.

Washington went 0-12, fired their head coach, and the new coach went 5-7 one year later. ONE YEAR!! TWO years later they won a bowl game!!

Crazy!

This team is going to be mostly Sophmores and Freshmen next year. I think next year could be as ugly as this year, unfortunately.

I think next year will be greatly improved but still only 4-5 wins. I look to 2013 to be a breakout year for us. I like the kids Embree picked up last year and I believe we will all like the results of his recruiting. That said, it will take a few years before those recruits are collectively able to make us into championship contenders.

This thread makes me want to VOMIT!!! Buffs fans picking us to win no more than 3 games next year. One thing about college football, is every year is unique. Next year we will have a new QB for sure but that new QB could easily be a former highly ranked recruit that transferred here and has had this entire season to sit and watch and practice with the team. A QB can change everything for us. Look at Baylor, Look at Texas, where would Stanford be without Luck. If Wood isn't the guy, then the bluechip HS kid may be our guy. Point is, there will be a TON of change on this team next year. No way anyone can accurately predict next year's outcome.

My guess is most PAC schools next year will also be breaking in new QBs with 3 of them currently slated as first round picks in the draft, UCLA will probably be working on a regime change, and we get a much easier schedule. 6 or more wins is not out of the question. Just imagine if this team beat Cal this year. My guess is the season takes on a fairly different shape.

I picked the Buffs to win six or seven this year and we see how astute that was. There's a solid basis for feeling the Buffs will win three or less next year. They haven't proved a thing this year other than the fact that the program is in a deep hole that will take some time to crawl out of. Hopes for next season are all pie in the sky until it is in the books. Hope is a wonderful belief but it isn't reality.

And having slept on it, I'm with Vamos. It occurs to me that these young men are going to be criticized for the rest of their lives. By family, peers, bosses. And if they ever play in the NFL the criticism has just begun....EX: Tebow and Orton. Fans questioning the efforts of players is nothing new and in the grand scheme of things will mean so little coming from this board. We take ourselves way more seriously than anyone else does. Uninhibited bashes and character denigration no, wrong, but if they aren't giving their best on the field week in week out they are contributing to the failure of this program and the fans, their fans aren't wrong to raise some questions about their drive and motivation...even by name.

Was bound to happen. If true maybe excuse them from football to focus on their classwork, but we probably couldn't field a practice squad then. Sympathies to Embo if that's where we are at. The more experience he can give the young guys, the better.

I don't think that Vic Lombardi, reincarnated, could have done jack **** with this team.

vic_lombardi.jpg

He's a decent enough sports guy, but I hardly think he'd be qualified to be a head coach at a D-1 school.

He got injured during the season. He still played in a few games. I don't know how it is different. One year after losing every game Washington went 5-7 (granted with a different coach).

LOL you're right. A top 10 pick at the most important position actually playing doesn't make a difference

Another thing to remember is that the college football world has a VERY short memory. It is being evidenced right now, as our program is being judged solely on how bad we are right now without a nod to our overall success. When we turn this thing around, we'll be relevant again just as quickly.

LOL you're right. A top 10 pick at the most important position actually playing doesn't make a difference

Not sure exactly the point you're trying to make.

Washington went 0-12 in 2008. Jake Locker played in the first four games.

Are you saying with Locker in the lineup Washington would have gone 8-4 in 2008? I didn't realize Locker played defense - that's the unit that gave up 44 points to Oregon, 55 points to OU (both games locker played in btw), 48 points to Arizona, 34 points to Oregon State, 56 points to USC, 33 points to Notre Dame, 39 points to ASU, etc.

My point is - a big time turnaround IS possible - what UW did from 2008 to 2009 is proof of that. The question now is - will Embree and Co. be able to engineer such a turnaround at CU?

vic_lombardi.jpg

He's a decent enough sports guy, but I hardly think he'd be qualified to be a head coach at a D-1 school.
The Vic thing was intentional. That post was an attempt to wear a least favorite Allbuffs poster costume for Halloween. Guess I just looked stupid instead.

Embree has been dealing with this since arriving back in Boulder "lazy and un-motivated players that don't mind losing" -
this is going to be a hard process to turn around - chicken/egg or recruiting/winning - whatever it is, it is going to be a slow and long process here in CU I am afraid

I guess we'd better hope Connor Wood turns into Jake Locker. :lol:

....dangit! I forgot that we shouldn't expect anything good from Wood. He's probably going to suck. Oh well.
[video=youtube;v4jGSvxCRp4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4jGSvxCRp4[/video]

Last edited:
I guess we'd better hope Connor Wood turns into Jake Locker. :lol:

....dangit! I forgot that we shouldn't expect anything good from Wood. He's probably going to suck. Oh well.
[video=youtube;v4jGSvxCRp4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4jGSvxCRp4[/video]

:lol:

We need to recruit some freshman starters....shouldn't be hard to sell that point, just show them film of this year and how bad the play has been.

Listened to Jon on KOA this morning. He calls in at 7:50 every Tuesday AM. Talk about sounding less than thrilled to having to do an interview! You can tell he is always on his cell phone doing other stuff and barely paying attention to the questions. I don't have a problem with it, but he comes across sounding disinterested when, in actuality, he probably has much more important things going on.

Listened to Jon on KOA this morning. He calls in at 7:50 every Tuesday AM. Talk about sounding less than thrilled to having to do an interview! You can tell he is always on his cell phone doing other stuff and barely paying attention to the questions. I don't have a problem with it, but he comes across sounding disinterested when, in actuality, he probably has much more important things going on.

I have noticed the same - I do think he needs to show a little more emotion on this interview as bad as he might not want to do it.... the one thing hawk did that I liked - was his "GO BUFFS!" just before they would disconnect...

Embo doesn't seem to like the interaction with media portion of the job. Hopefully, he will get some guidance and direction from his boss on the issue. We have seen poor PR skills do in one coach, I would hate to see it happen to Embo....

I have noticed the same - I do think he needs to show a little more emotion on this interview as bad as he might not want to do it.... the one thing hawk did that I liked - was his "GO BUFFS!" just before they would disconnect...
Hawkin's last year or so he knew he was a dead man walking. You could tell he hated doing those interviews. The other thing that struck me about Jon was that he doesn't aknowledge Mark Johnson. Instead of, "Thanks Mark" he just gives kind of a terse "thank you. Click." You'd think that since they do the weekly Tuesday night show and other stuff that there would be a little more cordiality. Makes me think the losing is really eating at Jon, which is understandable.

Hawkin's last year or so he knew he was a dead man walking. You could tell he hated doing those interviews. The other thing that struck me about Jon was that he doesn't aknowledge Mark Johnson. Instead of, "Thanks Mark" he just gives kind of a terse "thank you. Click." You'd think that since they do the weekly Tuesday night show and other stuff that there would be a little more cordiality. Makes me think the losing is really eating at Jon, which is understandable.

Just more on the job training. JE has never had to deal with the media. He has no polish and is still figuring out what it means to be the guy in charge. The losses are clearly weighing on him. I hope he isn't taking this same attitude into recruits' living rooms. This will be the first time he is the closer after a full less than impressive season.

Just more on the job training. JE has never had to deal with the media. He has no polish and is still figuring out what it means to be the guy in charge. The losses are clearly weighing on him. I hope he isn't taking this same attitude into recruits' living rooms. This will be the first time he is the closer after a full less than impressive season.
I think he is being pretty guarded in the public eye. I'd imagine when it comes to meeting individually with kids, he is full of fire and enthusiasm. Allthough, I suppose "full of fire" and "enthusiasm" are the same thing.

I think he is being pretty guarded in the public eye. I'd imagine when it comes to meeting individually with kids, he is full of fire and enthusiasm. Allthough, I suppose "full of fire" and "enthusiasm" are the same thing.

I think he learned a lesson from his media outburst "when is it enough?" After that blowup he said we could all expect more boring media interviews and he was right. But at the same time, what he says to the media is most of the public's only look inside the program. And when he sounds disinterested or annoyed it really isn't all that comforting. I don't expect him to be doing handstands or be "full of fire" all the time but at least be engaged.

Back