What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Facilities Plans...

Time to upgrade the CEC and get the basketball facilities up to an elite level. Lord knows Tad could use all the recruiting help he can get.

anymore upgrades on the horizon? I would love if they matched the west side of the stadium to look similar to what they did on the NE side and the champions center.

Sound System upgrades at Folsom are the next upgrade. Coors will be getting media upgrades as well I believe. West side renovations are going to be down the road quite a ways unless we get a power donor to help pay for it.

No, sorry. We needed 20 in capital and 85 in endowment. We're at like 32 and 66. But that's really good because they can use the interest gained on those accounts to fund things.
you got those flipped i believe.

edit: yeah, we are at 66 capital/34 endowment.

Not our favorite writer but she didn't take any shots at CU in this article. I couldn't get the link to work so I copied the whole article. Hope that's cool.

UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO
Folsom Field honing its private event game
Weddings just got more athletic
BY SARAH KUTA STAFFWRITER
Though Eric and Alessa Blackwell first met at their on-campus job while they were students at the University of Colorado, they didn’t start dating until after graduation.
Their first date? A CU basketball game and dinner on Pearl Street.
The two tied the knot in June and even had a special guest stop by their wedding reception: Chip the Buffalo.
Their wedding venue was extra special, too. The Blackwells held their ceremony at a brand new rooftop terrace and lounge at Folsom Field.
“We looked in various places around Boulder and ended up back on campus,” Alessa Blackwell said.
“We both enjoy going to football games and being a part of the university as alums, so it was a nobrainer for us. “For us, it was kind of a college reunion, a way to bring everyone together to share why the campus is so special to us, why being at the stadium meant so much to us and starting our future together in the place that we met.”
You don’t have to be a CU football fan to take advantage of one of the newest wedding and event venues in town.
The CU Athletic Department has long held non-football events at its stadium. But the recent $166 million renovation and expansion of CU’s athletic facilities has renewed and expanded the department’s focus on hosting events at Folsom Field.
The construction project, which wrapped up last year, renovated existing spaces and created new venues so that events could serve as a reliable revenue stream for the Athletic Department.
At weddings, corporate Christmas parties and other gatherings held at CU’s new rooftop terrace and lounge, guests can look out
Please see FOLSOM, 11A
Image_3.jpg

Brandon Leimbach, from CU athletics, gets food in the rooftop venue. A reception is about to start at the Folsom Field/Champions Center rooftop terrace on Thursday. March 2, 2017
Photos by Cliff Grassmick / Staff Photographer
Image_4.jpg

The view of Folsom Field from the terrace. A reception is about to start at the Folsom Field/Champions Center rooftop terrace on Thursday.
Copyright © 2017 Longmont Times-Call , your Hometown Newspaper. All rights reserved. Please review new arbitration language here. 3/5/2017
Powered by TECNAVIA

Last edited:
UCF Athletics Director Danny White is absolutely right when he says a lazy river and miniature golf course are absolutely imperative if the Knights expect their football team to compete for championships....
A few days ago, White released his vision for the future — a plan for $25 million in upgrades that would enhance UCF’s football and other sports facilities.
On the surface, this all might seem like wasteful spending, but in today’s world it’s actually necessary if you want to be competitive for the top recruits. These days, college football programs are building indoor laser tag facilities, bowling lanes, barber shops and smoothie bars. Colleges are not only luring recruits by showing them where they will eat, sleep and train, but also where they can kick back, relax and enjoy themselves.
"We want it to be kind of like an Olympic village. That’s why we came up with the leisure pool, the lazy river, some putt-putt golf and other amenities to make it hopefully the most unique athletic village in the country.”
orlandosentinal link

I think a lot of that is a distraction from football and academics that only further insulates athletes from being part of the university community. It creates a football factory culture that I don't think is good for the young men in the program. I actually think that will backfire rather than help achieve success.

I think a lot of that is a distraction from football and academics that only further insulates athletes from being part of the university community. It creates a football factory culture that I don't think is good for the young men in the program. I actually think that will backfire rather than help achieve success.
Isn't that basically what Alabama is at this point; a football factory? Same thing for Ohio State and many of the other blue bloods? Kids are tossed to the curb, medically retired, recruited over, crimes and rule violations covered up, cheating, etc solely in the name of winning football games. Very few players go to those programs to get a degree and be part of the university community. They go for the same reasons high school kids go to IMG or any other football factory "high school"... To prepare themselves to make a living playing football.

Isn't that basically what Alabama is at this point; a football factory? Same thing for Ohio State and many of the other blue bloods? Kids are tossed to the curb, medically retired, recruited over, crimes and rule violations covered up, cheating, etc solely in the name of winning football games. Very few players go to those programs to get a degree and be part of the university community. They go for the same reasons high school kids go to IMG or any other football factory "high school"... To prepare themselves to make a living playing football.

Yep. And the market may support about a half dozen programs like that. There are only about 280 or so NFL job openings every year.

For the east side, I think that Wisconsin's Camp Randall Stadium is a good model for the west side press box.
Fball_IU_stadium11_7231.JPG

Camp%20Randall%20Stadium%20Seating%20Chart.jpg

CU could do something very similar with upper deck seating and a new press box without blowing things up with height and compromising the spectacular views of the flatirons.
Current:
20120824__25dcsfacw_500.jpg

fb-map.jpg

The plans we saw during the Bohn era tried to keep the Balch facade on the west side, but I don't see how that's in any way ideal. Balch is not a facility that needs to be maintained. But the concepts did bring things in the direction I'm talking about.
20120825_123402_side1_edited-1_500.jpg

20120825_123434_west_edited-1_500.jpg

I'd like to imagine the same concept without the Balch facade taking up so much real estate. It's a waste. When Wisconsin added that upper deck to its west side, it yielded about 15k new seats. I believe that CU could get something approaching that out of its west side. Even if more space is used for suites & club seating and the NW corner is rounded off and used in a way that doesn't maximize capacity (similar to NE corner), it seems reasonable that capacity can increase from the current 50,183 into the 62k range. Importantly, the entire addition would be either cheap seats or premium seats. The last thing Folsom needs is more tickets in the same price level as the East sides's 100 level (which is kind of a ripoff unless you're in the bottom rows).

With modern stadiums, the idea has to be: 1) affordable seats that pack the house with passionate, loud fans; and, 2) premium seats that give businesses and well-heeled individuals something special. To get the money from #2, you have to create an electric atmosphere through #1. Forget the mid-range. So, to me, that even means that on both the East and West sides the stadium's 100 level seats need to become more special (full seats in the lower half, bleachers with backs in the upper half), sold at a higher dollar amount, and then the East 200 level seats need to go down a bit in price. Net gain in dollars per seat while being better configured for modern fans. I think that this type of work can be done first, with the West side upper deck & NW corner project being more of a long-term concept.

I'll never understand why people feel the need to have a view of the Flatirons during a football game. Pre-game? Sure. During the game? Why?

You sit on the east side with a view of the flatirons. Don't you just sit back during a game every once in a while and take everything in then say to yourself "this is so ****ing awesome" ? That's why.
That's what people have been doing the last 10 years because the flatirons were better to look at than the play on the field.

You sit on the east side with a view of the flatirons. Don't you just sit back during a game every once in a while and take everything in then say to yourself "this is so ****ing awesome" ? That's why.
Honestly, no. I never look at the mountains during a game. I do not understand that. Don't get me wrong, I will do exactly what you describe during the tailgate, but not during the game itself. I guess I'm an outlier, but I don't care about the view from inside the stadium.

Honestly, no. I never look at the mountains during a game. I do not understand that. Don't get me wrong, I will do exactly what you describe during the tailgate, but not during the game itself. I guess I'm an outlier, but I don't care about the view from inside the stadium.
I sat in a suite once in the first few years it was open (corporate suite of a buddy's company - they had an extra ticket). The view of the flatirons was better than any of the other amenities they provided.

What the heck is wrong with looking at the flatirons when the commercial breaks are 10 minutes long and all we do during those breaks is show some donor holding up a check (that you can't, by the way, hear anything about because the audio SUCKS!)

I'll never understand why people feel the need to have a view of the Flatirons during a football game. Pre-game? Sure. During the game? Why?
Why wouldn't you? It's the best view from any college stadium in the country. Part of what makes Folsom so unique. And there is more than enough time during time outs, commercial breaks, halftime, change of possession etc to take it in for a bit.

I go to football games to watch football, not admire the scenery.
What's life like as a perennial curmudgeon? I love you in person, but your virtual persona is pretty much the definition of what the millenials call "a hater."

I know you think you're just a realist but taking a pessimistic view of everything isn't 'realism.'

I can then assume you stare at your wiener while at the urinal? Never an appreciation for paper posted on the wall? just stand there glaring at your dick the whole time? weird...

What's life like as a perennial curmudgeon? I love you in person, but your virtual persona is pretty much the definition of what the millenials call "a hater."

I know you think you're just a realist but taking a pessimistic view of everything isn't 'realism.'
I'm not being a curmudgeon. I just don't care about the view during a football game. I don't think the view should be a consideration in future facilities construction.

I'm not being a curmudgeon. I just don't care about the view during a football game. I don't think the view should be a consideration in future facilities construction.
I am the same as you when I go to a football game. But there are other considerations here. We want the good press that comes from being mentioned every time anyone writes something on the best places to see a college football game. We want recruits to be blown away. We want casual fans to have a special experience. The Flatirons is the type of asset that money can't buy, so you don't compromise that view with something money can buy anywhere in the country. You and I wouldn't complain at all if CU was playing football in an abandoned rock quarry, there was no video board beyond telling us the play clock/ game clock/ score/ timeout situation, no audio system, no seats so we had to stand the whole time, and the only concessions were vendors walking the aisles to sell us beer/soda/water. But diehard football fanatics aren't gonna fill 50k+ seats.

Back