What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Facilities Plans...

If they are discussing turning Carlson into a 400+ seat auditorium, it is definitely mutually exclusive.
No it's not. It's just a matter of how the auditorium is configured. Have hallways on either side of the auditorium and it'll be fine. Have an access tunnel under the auditorium and it'll be fine. There are lots of ways to make it work.

As much as I agree with you, it isn't happening. The university has already issued RFP's to convert that space into academic space, including a large (400+ seat) auditorium.

@Buffnik, Balch needs to be gutted. Besides the stands on the south side being borderline condemned and the opera boxes being about 40 years late in terms of needing renovation, the press boxes are an absolute joke. I don't think it would be out of the question to gut the building entirely, while retaining the north and south facades. You could even keep the aesthetic look of the large windows at the corners facing the field.

As to your point about hosting more events, there would need to be some major reworking of the lower bowl. Folsom isn't wide enough for soccer, and barely wide enough for lacrosse.
I'm with you on Balch. It needs to have gameday functionality, though.

Folsom is very limited for sporting events because of not being able to host soccer and lacrosse. I don't see sporting events as a possibility. CO HS football championships belong at Mile High. If the Avs did an outdoor game, it would belong at Coors. Soccer and rugby are larger fields. Lacrosse fields are too wide to really work. It really has to be concerts.

For other sporting events, I think the bigger opportunity is to convert the old practice fields into a field stadium (about 10-15k capacity) for hosting soccer, rugby, etc.

While it would never happen, Folsom would be absolutely perfect for an outdoor NHL game. Stands right on top of the field wouldn't make the rink seem to small.... plus the views.

But yeah - i realize that is a pipe dream

No it's not. It's just a matter of how the auditorium is configured. Have hallways on either side of the auditorium and it'll be fine. Have an access tunnel under the auditorium and it'll be fine. There are lots of ways to make it work.
Yes, having to walk through a few hallways is exactly the kind of efficient entry that's needed at Folsom! It'll probably work even better when there are 75k fans. You're pressing and it's not going to work.

I will say it again... adding an entrance to the stadium complex from the West side/Carlson would be very cool. Unbelievably cool.

4933405931_db1b3bca5a_b.jpg

Through these doors would be an awesome way to access the stadium, no?
I love Carlson.

Would it be possible to renovate Balch and keep it as a field house? Bring it back to code and maybe we could move volleyball into there. Potentially more sports down the line if we were to add gymnastics or bring back wrestling? If that could be done, it would be a more friendly venue than the CEC, as well as would probably be cheaper to run than the CEC.

Seems like the practice facility and the coors court is plenty of room for two basketball teams and a volleyball team.

Seems like the practice facility and the coors court is plenty of room for two basketball teams and a volleyball team.
I agree, it would be nice for a game experience though. I would also like to see concerts be held at the CEC during the school year. It would be a major revenue source for the athletic department and could be something the students would love.

Would it be possible to renovate Balch and keep it as a field house? Bring it back to code and maybe we could move volleyball into there. Potentially more sports down the line if we were to add gymnastics or bring back wrestling? If that could be done, it would be a more friendly venue than the CEC, as well as would probably be cheaper to run than the CEC.

I suppose they could gut Balch and rebuild it as a field house. However as mentioned with the new court sports practice facility, the coors renovations/upgrades that are ongoing and the new IPF, there isn't currently much need for one. That space would be better served by the AD in creating a better fan experience at folsom and if possible, creating usable space to generate revenue all year round (weddings, conferences, conventions, restaurants, etc.)

I suppose they could gut Balch and rebuild it as a field house. However as mentioned with the new court sports practice facility, the coors renovations/upgrades that are ongoing and the new IPF, there isn't currently much need for one. That space would be better served by the AD in creating a better fan experience at folsom and if possible, creating usable space to generate revenue all year round (weddings, conferences, conventions, restaurants, etc.)

Or extra classroom space. State would fund that if I'm not mistaken and it could reduce the cost of renovations at Folsom Field.

I agree on Balch not being needed athletically anymore. Would only happen if we were to add more sports like wrestling and gymnastics and I feel like those sports are far down on the list. I would bet baseball, softball, and men's lax would all be ahead those sports. What I do hope they do with Balch is that they save the facade of the building.

Whatever they do with Baluch, they will need to figure out a way to tie it in to the new facility in the NW side of the stadium that will (hopefully) mirror the Champions Center on the NE side. Having a solid consistent facade along the entire North side of the stadium will be very important. It'll also look really cool.

Whatever they do with Baluch, they will need to figure out a way to tie it in to the new facility in the NW side of the stadium that will (hopefully) mirror the Champions Center on the NE side. Having a solid consistent facade along the entire North side of the stadium will be very important. It'll also look really cool.
I am sure whenever they are ready to do that renovation,remodel,new construction they will work with populous again. Populous has become very very good at doing that kind of thing.

Gut Balch and put all of your food, beer, and other vendors in there. Its actually a good spot for over flow and inclement weather. They will have to re-do the entire press box as well.

Gut Balch and put all of your food, beer, and other vendors in there. Its actually a good spot for over flow and inclement weather. They will have to re-do the entire press box as well.
They need a couple levels of concessions and beer stands in there. Then make the lowest level open to the public.

I like the idea of creating a nice large sunken auditorium/theater space in that area. Perhaps incorporate Carlson facad as one entrance. Then oppose to an athletic "fieldhouse" space bridge the stadium and theater with an atrium/courtyard commen area between the two. I do not see the need for the athletic fieldhouse in that part of campus anymore.

I didn't realize it took a month to repair the damage to the field from a concert event.

Honestly Balch can just go. The new west side can provide plenty of room in the concourses for concessions and shelter for bad weather. We can add more seats in the NW corner of the stadium in addition to new boxes that stretch to the south end of those boxes all the way to the NW corner.

Last edited:
They need to for sure upgrade the sound system inside Folsom....Sounds like the loudest AM Radio on earth.....then AC/DC thunderstruck will sound cool

Carlson is a cool old gym. Feels like walking back into the 50s when you set foot in that place. Would hate to see it go.

Going back to the potential of expanding Folsom by offering more of the cheap seats:

Why is it that sections 203-213 aren't as large as sections 214-220? It seems to me that this is a significant opportunity for expansion. I can't imagine it would block any views of the Flatirons. It would just mean that some of the taller campus building wouldn't be as visible, right?

Going back to the potential of expanding Folsom by offering more of the cheap seats:

Why is it that sections 203-213 aren't as large as sections 214-220? It seems to me that this is a significant opportunity for expansion. I can't imagine it would block any views of the Flatirons. It would just mean that some of the taller campus building wouldn't be as visible, right?
The quick answer to that is that in order to build it out, they'd have to expand out over the street. Of course, the response to that can (and should) be "yeah, so?"

Back