What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

First depth chart is out

Assuming Coach Mac has Webb playing out of the shotgun, I could see him starting again. he was OK out of the gun but horrible from under center. Never understood why Embo forced him under center so much when he was clearly more comfortable from the gun.

Assuming Coach Mac has Webb playing out of the shotgun, I could see him starting again. he was OK out of the gun but horrible from under center. Never understood why Embo forced him under center so much when he was clearly more comfortable from the gun.

One of many examples of Jon's 'I'm going to run a pro-style no matter what' philosophy.

De'Jon Wilson fourth string? No clue on this one.
Jeffrey Hall fourth string, behind a walk-on (Brisco)? Got to question if he has his head together because he's a good athlete.
Mosely third string (I didn't see that he had actual instincts last year).
Austin Ray? How soon before he's asked to put on 40-50 pounds and move to OT? That's where I project him.

These are early question marks from the last recruiting class certainly, but it's also early...

What I gather from Coach Mac's statements is they are going to look at whoever has the strongest strengths. For example, if Webb is stronger out of the shotgun than Wood is under center, they'll go with Webb and build the offense around his strengths. I think that's what they did with Fales...schemed around his strengths, which wasn't running.

It's not necessarily Webb's QB skills that they like, rather his leadership skills. I understand that those are off the chart. Unfortunately, that chart, imho, must be kept in another room.

Wilson listed as a DT too. Maybe he was too slow for a DE and they moved him to DT? In which case, I don't expect much from him until he can put on another 30 pounds or so.

Anyone curious about Gerald Thomas being 4th string?

I may have mentioned "dropsies" (and ineffective route running) a week or so ago. I'd say that's a good bet.
Still on record as not convinced our WR corp will be "greatly improved". Hope Jeff Thomas can show some mad skills the next two weeks if healthy.

Last edited:
Wilson listed as a DT too. Maybe he was too slow for a DE and they moved him to DT? In which case, I don't expect much from him until he can put on another 30 pounds or so.

That may be fair. But he doesn't look quite as highly prized as a undersized DT... Hopefully he can pack it on, and stay committed to the situation in the mean time.

Did I read that he wants our dline to slim down to try and speed them up a bit? I love what I am reading from all of you that he is going to actually try and scheme around the chosen Qbs strengths. Maybe one of these guys can actually look serviceable.

De'Jon Wilson fourth string? No clue on this one.
Jeffrey Hall fourth string, behind a walk-on (Brisco)? Got to question if he has his head together because he's a good athlete.
Mosely third string (I didn't see that he had actual instincts last year).
Austin Ray? How soon before he's asked to put on 40-50 pounds and move to OT? That's where I project him.

These are early question marks from the last recruiting class certainly, but it's also early...

Sure sounds like Hall is biding his time till he can transfer. Doesn't sound like a happy camper.

That was always a possibility. His recruitment was hurt because he was a "tweener" similar to Samson and Rasmussen.

I think that even at 250 lbs there's a place for him to get snaps at DT. Obvious passing downs, for example.

No evidence to support that statement. Nick had some foot issues. Every player has an injury from time to time. Webb has been pretty damn durable actually, considering the abuse he has taken!

I'm much more interested in them finding a QB with the skillset. Of all the QBs, Dillon's shoulder worries me the most.

Webb was durable but not in a successful way. Once he took a few shots he was mediocre at best, hobbled at worst. That earns him some props for being tough, but I didn't think he was effective once the contact came.

As for Hirsch, he's had so many injuries I can't remember them all. I do remember the foot thing (both feet were injured if I recall), and I think he got a concussion in another game (Arizona?). He's not the picture of perfect health on the field. He'd likely admit to that.

QB - D (no breakout = bad news?)
OL - D (inexperienced, too small?)
WR - C (except PRich they are unproven, but if they live up to potential could be a B)
RB - B (best part of the O IMO)
DL - C (looks good on paper, I'd give a B but they are unproven)
LB - D (not so hot IMO, hoping Baer can coach them up or I just don't know them very well)
DB - C (young guys got lots of time last year and will be better but will still get abused by the elite teams)

Overall - C- (all things considered)

3-4 wins this season...hope they surprise me.

That was always a possibility. His recruitment was hurt because he was a "tweener" similar to Samson and Rasmussen.

I think that even at 250 lbs there's a place for him to get snaps at DT. Obvious passing downs, for example.

Was it? I don't remember any talk of him being a possible DT. I forget a lot, though.

Like all of last season for example.

Naming Dillon as the QB of the future, before he "earned it" might not be the most positive way to do it. Since we had 6 QB's sharing snaps the last two weeks, and learning a new system, it's not surprising that the young gun didn't clearly put himself in the driver's seat.

The time is now. It's time for the everyone to be convinced who the QB needs to be on opening day. The worst thing the staff could do is name Dillon the leader before he's done anything convincing. I think the staff gets it. They will let it play out. It's Shane Dillon time now (I hope).

Webb was durable but not in a successful way. Once he took a few shots he was mediocre at best, hobbled at worst. That earns him some props for being tough, but I didn't think he was effective once the contact came.

As for Hirsch, he's had so many injuries I can't remember them all. I do remember the foot thing (both feet were injured if I recall), and I think he got a concussion in another game (Arizona?). He's not the picture of perfect health on the field. He'd likely admit to that.

Hirsch had injuries with both feet, that were not properly diagnosed. He seems to have overcome that situation. Who hasn't had a concussion playing QB at CU the last few years?

Nope - I don't see a durability issue with any of the QBs so far.

Anyone curious about Gerald Thomas being 4th string?

I may have mentioned "dropsies" a week or so ago. I'd say that's a good bet. GOT to CATCH the BALL.
Still on record as not convinced our WR corp will be "greatly improved". Hope Jeff Thomas can show some mad skills the next two weeks if healthy.

I am surprised he's behind Thomas who hasn't practiced much from what I've read.

Not as surprised about being behind Spruce and McCulloch because they catch the ball and have good fundamentals, route running, etc.

Might make more sense to have Goodson and Thomas compete and rotate in whatever position they're vying for. They seem to have similar skill sets.

What I gather from Coach Mac's statements is they are going to look at whoever has the strongest strengths. For example, if Webb is stronger out of the shotgun than Wood is under center, they'll go with Webb and build the offense around his strengths. I think that's what they did with Fales...schemed around his strengths, which wasn't running.

It always amazes me when a coach tries to force a player into his scheme rather than scheme around a players strengths. I believe your take on Mac is correct but having barely survived the last 7 years I am praying we find someone with real strengths real soon.

@Buffclass90:
LB spot looks like a bright spot to me, since my expectations were low. Seeing that Gillam is ahead or at least competing with Daigh and that Greer is doing the same vs Vigo is great news! That means we got some guys competing. Daigh and Vigo played a bunch last year, so if they got competition, isn't that great news? Would you feel better if nobody emerged to compete with them?

Seeing some guys emerge (like Moten) is really promising.

Seeing G.Thomas drop on the depth chart (yes, Jeff Thomas is listed above him, and he's not really been able to participate) and Hobbs not even on campus is not good.

Remember - I'm of the mind that we need 6 good receivers in this offense and we need as much speed as we can get. Gerald is fast.

Seeing some guys emerge (like Moten) is really promising.

Seeing G.Thomas drop on the depth chart (yes, Jeff Thomas is listed above him, and he's not really been able to participate) and Hobbs not even on campus is not good.

Remember - I'm of the mind that we need 6 good receivers in this offense and we need as much speed as we can get. Gerald is fast.

Including RBs, we should have 6 guys average at least 2 receptions a game and another 4 average at least 1 per game.

It's nice that not all our receivers are like 5'11" and smaller. Spruce, McCollugh, Thomas, etc.. have good size. Really need our speed guys to step it up, PRich will be fine, need GT to get going this year.

@Buffclass90:
LB spot looks like a bright spot to me, since my expectations were low. Seeing that Gillam is ahead or at least competing with Daigh and that Greer is doing the same vs Vigo is great news! That means we got some guys competing. Daigh and Vigo played a bunch last year, so if they got competition, isn't that great news? Would you feel better if nobody emerged to compete with them?

Rivals shows him as a 5.2 2* prospect with only a San Jose offer. Penciling him in as the starter in the middle of the defense as a true freshman (even with the extra year to grow) defines where our defense is. Those predicting many wins this year should pay attention.

I love how he punted on the QB position. Solid.
I get how 8 practices are not enough to make a call yet on who is capable and ready to lead the team. Even moreso in my opinion if Dillon is really the best long-term candidate because he has no game time experience and is coming off a major shoulder injury.

If all of us hoping Dillon does win this battle in the Spring are right-and we could just as easily be wrong-than one would hope that with more practices in the new offense he will create separation.

I will be disappointed in Dillon if he doesn't win the competition outright by the end of the spring and disappointed in HCMM if he is not prepared to name the #1 QB going into fall.

Back