What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Football Spring Practices start February 22nd

Yeah - he had 1 catch for 14 yards against Idaho State! I think a better question is why didn't he RS? Come on Scheckler, your statement was "If Huntley is truly at the reported 6'3" 220lbs, I don't see how the coaches can keep him off the field". He is a physical specimen who was highly recruited. But you know way too much about this game as demonstrated by your posts to date to fall into that trip. Let's let the kid show us!
No, let the kid show himself and his teammates before anything, coaches too.

Yeah - he had 1 catch for 14 yards against Idaho State! I think a better question is why didn't he RS? Come on Scheckler, your statement was "If Huntley is truly at the reported 6'3" 220lbs, I don't see how the coaches can keep him off the field". He is a physical specimen who was highly recruited. But you know way too much about this game as demonstrated by your posts to date to fall into that trip. Let's let the kid show us!

I know they took the RS off because winfree got hurt but they should have redshirted him.

Ento, bobo, fields, ross, mac jr and walker got most of the reps. Waste of a year imho.

Well, I'm sure they expected him to play more when they did it. They misread something there for sure, or he had some nagging injuries set him back. I think it's worth watching closely this spring how he develops.

yipee!! feels like its been 6 months. Have a feeling we will not be getting much info from these practices. More speculation and rumors until Spring Game.

If Umu is truly ready to compete at the Pac-12 level, then the DL prospects are looking up for sure. Could have some more quality depth than I expected.

Will be interesting to see new H/W #'s listed. I don't know how much Isaac Miller weighs now but he looked huge in January!

With Chev coaching them, not so much. But here's my bold prediction: Our incumbents will be pushed this year. Too much talent coming in.

Going to be interesting to see how the WR position shakes out this year.

They are going to be expected to do some other things. Assuming Montez is the starter we are going to see more balls going to patterns to the middle of the field, Sefo rarely went medium to deep middle, he liked to either throw short or outside, the limited time we saw Montez it seemed like he was more comfortable throwing inside.

Umu and Isaac Miller could make things very interesting. If Miller can push and secure that LT position and push Irwin inside to Guard, that would be absolutely huge. Highly doubt we are down that road yet, but would be a very good sign.

Umu seems to have been working his butt off and could really be a huge boost to the dline.

While I'm on record stating the WR's exceeded my expectations, I also expect a big step up from there next year. We weren't nearly as effective as a unit against more physical defensive backfields, and stronger defenses in general.

I'm looking forward to see if Jaylon Jackson will be able to practice, about 9 months after his ACL. I think he's the most dynamic guy we've signed in years. He committed prior to his second ACL, when he was highly recruited, so Chev really was making an impact. Kid is on campus and I can't say I'm rooting for anyone more.

Winfree probably no contact and very limited?
Ento could be ready to take a big step up - seemed like his confidence grew as the year went on. Could he carve out some PT?
Huntley perhaps as well?
Rakestraw?
Is Lee Walker going to finally make some noise or has he been recruited over?

Going to be interesting to see how the WR position shakes out this year.

They are going to be expected to do some other things. Assuming Montez is the starter we are going to see more balls going to patterns to the middle of the field, Sefo rarely went medium to deep middle, he liked to either throw short or outside, the limited time we saw Montez it seemed like he was more comfortable throwing inside.
We are so deep at WR! With a better QB and better OL and a really good RB, we should be a much better offense this year. I think Montez...now that this is his team (assuming he starts) will be more effective and have another spring practice under his belt...he's gonna be good.

Rakestraw is to BB as:
a) Eleanor Roosevelt is to Janet Reno
b) CB is to LB
c) Lemon is to Lime
d) 1960's French Deconstructionism is to Eliminative Materialism in the American 1990's

Our depth at WR is going to be crazy good this upcoming season. I don't think it can be stressed enough how vital Montez's improvement is to the 2017 offense. He will have a strong OL, WR corps, and Lindsay to be a workhorse. He has all the tools he needs to capitalize on what could be a top 10/15 CFB offense next year.

What's interesting is that Montez and Coach Mac just spoke on interview about how Steven has lost almost 25 pounds from his weight last season. He was already more mobile than Liufau was. I'd like to see how this will be implemented into next year's playbook.

Last edited:
Our depth at WR is going to be crazy good this upcoming season. I don't think it can be stressed enough how vital Montez's improvement is to the 2017 offense. He will have a strong OL, WR corps, and Lindsay to be a workhorse. He has all the tools he needs to capitalize on what could be a top 10/15 CFB offense next year.

What's interesting is that Montez and Coach Mac just spoke on interview about how Steven has lost almost 25 pounds from his weight last season. He was already more mobile than Liufau was. I'd like to see how this will be implemented into next year's playbook.

How does one implement minus 25 lbs into a playbook?

Seriously, on 3rd and short, they will run the qb. Hopefully in these early non conference games, they get big leads and let him chill in the second half.

Don't need him getting punished like sefo last year.

I'm looking forward to see if Jaylon Jackson will be able to practice, about 9 months after his ACL. I think he's the most dynamic guy we've signed in years. He committed prior to his second ACL, when he was highly recruited, so Chev really was making an impact. Kid is on campus and I can't say I'm rooting for anyone more.
Fwiw, he's not listed as injured/other:

IMG_4114.JPG

How does one implement minus 25 lbs into a playbook?

Seriously, on 3rd and short, they will run the qb. Hopefully in these early non conference games, they get big leads and let him chill in the second half.

Don't need him getting punished like sefo last year.
I don't see this as being a given this year. Sefo was a horse and they knew he was our best short yardage option. Something tells me they are going to be a little more careful with the health of Montez this year, especially when there is an improved OL to help create the short yardage space for RBs.

Is there a deeper position on the team in 2017?

Probably not. But I also do not really think a deep rotation is a good thing either.

I hope we see the regulars from last year and Winfree receive the bulk of the snaps. We talk about the potential mistake that was made by burning the redshirt of Huntley, might be good to learn from that with this year's freshmen.

Probably not. But I also do not really think a deep rotation is a good thing either.

I hope we see the regulars from last year and Winfree receive the bulk of the snaps. We talk about the potential mistake that was made by burning the redshirt of Huntley, might be good to learn from that with this year's freshmen.
Do you think Huntley is a RS candidate for this year?

It's going to be funny seeing big Javier Edwards wearing #3.

Also, I'd suggest pumping the brakes on Montez. He has a lot to learn about reading blitzes and going through read progressions. I expect him to struggle a little when conference play begins (UW, UCLA).

It has to be a serious option.
I like Huntley's size and think we could use him, but if Winfree stays healthy, he, Bobo and Ento can be the big receivers. Would be nice to get a year of Huntley back, and yes, being able to RS all 4 of our incoming WRs would be ideal.

Back