What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Future of football series vs CSU

Did I miss the part where Texas A&M is anything special outside of one great player over the last two decades? Not as much difference as you think. The other part of this is people acting like playing a good to very good G5 is such a big step down from the mediocre to bad P5 teams.

Ok, I'll agree that A&M isn't Alabama, but they aren't Wake Forest or Kansas either.

Assuming we're good enough to be close to a college football playoff birth, we wouldn't be losing to FCS teams. Playing LSU and Ole Miss along with our conference slate, the odds are that CU would end up with a loss or two on their record and get screwed out of the playoff that way.
image.png

Did I miss the part where Texas A&M is anything special outside of one great player over the last two decades? Not as much difference as you think. The other part of this is people acting like playing a good to very good G5 is such a big step down from the mediocre to bad P5 teams.
A&M has been to 20 bowl games since 1989 and the discussion point was possibly scheduling two teams ranked at times in the top 10 last year, possibly in the same season - I believe you are taking posts out of context to make the narrative fit your theme (CU fans are afraid to play tough competition).

I'd certainly rather take my chances against Northwestern instead of East Carolina. Especially if doing so actually carries a perception of having played more of a "big boy" schedule.
This I agree with.

A&M has been a mediocre team over the past 20 years. No context needed.

Conventional wisdom I've seen from SEC followers regarding Texas A&M is that despite the recruiting grounds and the mega-spending on facilities, if they couldn't win the West with Johnny Manziel at QB then they'll never be good enough to win it.

A&M has been to 20 bowl games since 1989 and the discussion point was possibly scheduling two teams ranked at times in the top 10 last year, possibly in the same season - I believe you are taking posts out of context to make the narrative fit your theme (CU fans are afraid to play tough competition).

This.

CU wasn't good enough to compete for a National Championship in 2005 and 2006.

We had no idea during Hawkins years 1 and 2 that the program would plummet to the depths it did. We'd have been no worse off scheduling P5 games instead of the FCS teams over the last 8 years. We might as well learn from the past and stop scheduling below the level of our desired brand equity. If we want to be in the same discussion as Sacramento State, you play Sacramento State. Time for CU to aim higher.

The main point is that all the fuss over easy non-con scheduling did nothing to help pull CU out of its nose dive.

In the end, strong admin support and good coaching is infinitely more important than stupid cosmetic debates about OOC schedules and uniforms.

Last edited by a moderator:

Outside of two very good seasons under RC Slocum and two very good seasons with Manziel, A&M has been a pretty average P5 team. There are a lot of P5 bowl teams every year which are mostly mediocre. If we are playing one of those teams every year and maybe adding in another above average team, I still do not see what all the handwringing is about.

Outside of two very good seasons under RC Slocum and two very good seasons with Manziel, A&M has been a pretty average P5 team. There are a lot of P5 bowl teams every year which are mostly mediocre. If we are playing one of those teams every year and maybe adding in another above average team, I still do not see what all the handwringing is about.

A&M is basically Utah.

We had no idea during Hawkins years 1 and 2 that the program would plummet to the depths it did. We'd have been no worse off scheduling P5 games instead of the FCS teams over the last 8 years. We might as well learn from the past and stop scheduling below the level of our desired brand equity. If we want to be in the same discussion as Sacramento State, you play Sacramento State. Time for CU to aim higher.

The main point is that all the fuss over easy non-con scheduling did nothing to help pull CU out of its nose dive.

In the end, strong admin support and good coaching is infinitely more important than stupid cosmetic debates about OOC schedules and uniforms.

I wanna be like Alabama, how do they schedule?

The entire SEC and Big 10 play 8-9 P5 opponents per year. The other 3-4 games for them are filled with the likes of Western/Eastern Kentucky, Austin Peay, UT Martin, Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee State, etc. Go talk to the SEC about their "pussy" non-con schedules and they'll point to their 7 straight National Championships and how having a weak OOC schedule affected them.

Saban is pushing for a nine-game conference schedule and Bama is playing at Jerry World the next two seasons against Wisconsin and USC respectively. You can bet they will be adding similar games going forward.

Here are the OOC schedules for the 4 playoff participants from last year:
Alabama: Wisconsin, Middle TN St, UL Monroe, Charleston Southern
Oregon: Michigan St, EWU, Georgia St
FSU: Florida, Texas St, South Florida, Chattanooga
OSU: Va Tech, Hawaii, Northern Illinois, Western Michigan

Baylor and TCU had the biggest beefs about being left out, here were their schedules:
Baylor: SMU, Northwestern St, Buffalo
TCU: Minnesota, SMU, Samford

But remember, we should schedule 2 P5 in the OOC, 'cause CU!

Oh look, that SEC hype machine strikes again.

OK, go check out Oregon and Ohio State's OOC schedules from last year. Each had only 1 P5 opponent. Some of you guys point to the 2:1 model with CSU as how big time programs should be doing it against G5 programs, yet fail to realize that you're arguing for CU to do something in scheduling that most big time programs never do.

Highlander - didn't FSU play Florida, Oklahoma State & Notre Dame?

Yeah those are 2015's schedules

2014:
Bama: West Virginia, Southern Miss, Florida Atlantic
FSU: Oklahoma State, The Citadel, ND, Florida
Oregon: South Dakota, Mich St, Wyoming
Ohio State: Navy, Va Tech, Kent State

I realized as I was walking out the door I may have posted 2015 vice 2014. TScheck - thanks for the corrected schedules.

So:
Bama played 9 P5 in 2014 and 9 in 2015, including conference play
Oregon plays 10 P5 in both years
FSU played 11 in 2014 and 9 in 2015
OSU played 9 in both years

Point remains. There is no reason CU should be rushing to schedule 11 P5 schools a year.

Last edited:
OK, go check out Oregon and Ohio State's OOC schedules from last year. Each had only 1 P5 opponent. Some of you guys point to the 2:1 model with CSU as how big time programs should be doing it against G5 programs, yet fail to realize that you're arguing for CU to do something in scheduling that most big time programs never do.
I do not think it is even a necessity to play two P5 in the non-conference schedule, but do not think is really bad for the program either. From 2012-2018, we will have not played a single P5 team at home in the non-conference schedule. That is garbage.

I do not think it is even a necessity to play two P5 in the non-conference schedule, but do not think is really bad for the program either. From 2012-2018, we will have not played a single P5 team at home in the non-conference schedule. That is garbage.

Hard to argue with that.

I want an A-B-C schedule going forward.

A = good P5 program
B = poor P5 program or good G5 program
C = poor G5 program

We've been doing a lot of B-B-C on down to C-C-C in the years when the Rams were horrible.

While I don't think CU should have to sell tickets through the quality of its opponent, never giving the fans anything takes a toll.

Not to be picky but the 2012 Cal game was technically a non-conference game and had been previously scheduled before the conference move (someone correct me if i am wrong). Either way I do agree with you that is garbage.

Not to be picky but the 2012 Cal game was technically a non-conference game and had been previously scheduled before the conference move (someone correct me if i am wrong). Either way I do agree with you that is garbage.

Never mind that was 2011. My mistake.

Back