What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread- #20 WOMEN'S BBall heads to Las Vegas to open the season against #1 and defending NCAA Champion LSU (Monday, 11/6/23; 5:30 PM MT; TNT)

Media after tonight's BIG win:

Article -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/11/6/womens-basketball-buffs-vs-lsu.aspx

"
Women's Basketball November 06, 2023 Colin Wagner, CU Athletic Communications Associate

Buffs Stun Reigning National Champs, No. 1 LSU In Season Opener​

LAS VEGAS, Nev. - The Colorado women's basketball team pulled off a huge 92-78 upset victory over No. 1 LSU here at T-Mobile Arena Monday night, taking down the reigning national champions.

The Buffaloes embraced the challenge of taking on LSU despite the Tigers adding the top-two transfers in the country to an already stacked roster this offseason. From the tip-off to the final buzzer, Colorado didn't look fazed by any means.

"For a game like this that a large part of the world said no to and a large part of the world said why would you play that game? It was everything that we wanted," head coach JR Payne stated after the win. "We wanted a challenge and we wanted to take our team into the national spotlight so that I can show the world how great they are. I'm really proud of how we played, proud of how we competed and it's a great start to the year."

The Buffs were led by Frida Formann, Jaylyn Sherrod and Aaronette Vonleh who all returned to the Buffs from last year's Sweet 16 squad. Formann was lights out from behind the arc tonight, making seven three-pointers to help her set a career-high of 27 points. She added five rebounds, five assists and two steals. Vonleh was Colorado's second-leading scorer with 25 points on 11-15 shooting from the field.

Sherrod had an amazing performance in all phases of the game. She scored 19 points while recording eight rebounds, six assists and three steals. Sherrod's leadership and energy didn't show up on the stat sheet but it was crucial for Colorado's upset victory.

The Buffs kept it a tight game for the entire first half with the biggest deficit they faced being six points in the second quarter. After Sherrod returned from a hard fall, Colorado saw a spark, started to gain momentum and took the lead.

From that point on, the Buffs didn't look back and found themselves defeating the No. 1 team in the nation by a respectable margin. Colorado's defense was all over the place tonight, totaling 11 steals and three blocks while forcing LSU into committing 19 turnovers. The offense shot 53.2% from the field and 43.5% from three-point range which served to be too much for LSU to handle.

TURNING POINT
With 2:15 remaining in the first half, Smith caught a pass from Tameiya Sadler and knocked down a corner three-pointer. The triple gave the Buffs a seven-point lead and helped Colorado to go into halftime up 38-32.

NOTES
With the win over LSU: the Buffs are now 3-2 all-time against LSU…it's the first time since 1995-96 that the defending national champion/No. 1 team lost their season opener…it is Colorado's fourth win over a No. 1 team in program history and second for the women's basketball team…it is the second largest margin of victory over a top-five team…it is the most points scored over a top-five team and second most over a top-10 team…it is the ninth time Colorado has scored 90 points against a ranked team.

QUOTES
JR Payne
On what this win means

"We have so many incredible young women in our program. They are just absolutely awesome. So for me to have them on a national stage where I know how great they are, I want the world to know how great they are. They're great teammates, they're great students, they compete, they're totally fearless. So for me, I want the world to know and we did that today."

On being physical with Angel Reese
"I think for the most part, we are a pretty physical team. We're always the underdog. We don't have a single five-star kid or McDonald's All-American so we're built on toughness. We're built on game plans and executing and things like that. So it wasn't necessarily Angel Reese in particular, we just wanted to play our style of basketball."

On Aaronette Vonleh's performance
"That's one thing that we love about our ballclub is we do have tremendous balance. We can play inside, we can also play outside. I think we have some individuals that are really tough to guard one-on-one and so when you can space shooters around a player like Aaronette it's tough because she is extremely dominant. It was really, really great to see her play the way she did today. She could do that every night, we believe that strongly that she is that good. So really neat to see her do that on a stage like this."

On the fans
"I thought the crowd support was incredible. Behind our bench we had a lot of CU supporters. We had fans and donors and family members and staff. A lot of people came down to support us during this game. And then the others that you're speaking of, the Las Vegas community, I think showed out. I think they like Pac-12 basketball, our tournament has been here and I think this community really supports women's basketball."

On not backing down
"Coach T [Toriano Towns] did a really great job with the scouting report. So we talked about LSU a fair amount this week, obviously, but as we got closer and closer to the game, our attention turned more towards ourselves, as far as what do we need to do to be successful? And so I think when you have that mindset and that kind of internal focus of doing your job, executing, knowing the game plan, staying together and things like that it allows you to face adversity or a run or something like that with good composure."

On the opening minutes of the third quarter
"I think we, again, re-centered ourselves at halftime on what do we need to do to continue to be successful? Don't get outside of ourselves. Don't just play great basketball one possession at a time and I think that allowed us to continue playing the way we were. It was really important."

On switching to zone defense in the second half
"Coach T is our defensive coordinator and he's awesome. We're good defensively every year and he does a great job with that. I think he actually was just trying to irritate Jaylyn by playing two, because it's not her favorite. I'm kidding. But I think he knew that if we needed to have a different look defensively, that that was something we could go to, although we haven't practiced it in like two weeks. So I didn't think he would go to it, but it was a good change of pace for us."

On Kim Mulkey saying CU is playing LSU at the right time
"Yeah, I think our veterans, these guys in particular, Aaronette [Vonleh], Quay [Miller], Tameiya [Sadler] we do have a lot of veterans and that's partly why we wanted this game and why we've scheduled such a challenging preseason schedule. We have a lot of tough games on our schedule and so I think our veterans carried us, they'll continue to carry us and it's just a great start for the season."

Frida Formann
On how big the basket looked tonight

"I guess very big. When I'm in that mode it's just hitting my hands and I'm just shooting it. And with this team too, we know who's getting hot so I just know that the ball is gonna find me and my shot is gonna be there."

On Aaronette Vonleh's performance
"Before the game I just told her to be in attack mode all the time. Every time she got the ball, you could see she was looking to get her own and that's what we need from her, because she really is unstoppable. We play against her in practice every day and it's tough to guard her."

On the opening minutes of the third quarter
"As a team, we were really good at just taking one minute at a time. It felt like such a long game because we really were so locked in by possession by possession and that's how we came out in the half too."

Jaylyn Sherrod
On driving the basket when seeing certain matchups

"No, honestly, I just didn't feel like I came out being aggressive and I didn't come out being myself. I started thinking things through and trying to settle into the first game. So I settled in and once I did, I just did what I do, which is driving to the basket. So I think it was just me settling into the game."

On not backing down
"Actually me and coach J [JR Payne], Frida was on that team too, beat Stanford and I actually watched that press conference before this game and I remember talking then about how we just made our minds up. I think tonight, that was the mentality for all of us. We just made our minds up that no matter what we're gonna go out there and compete and we weren't going to lose. I felt that across the board from coaches, teammates, family, fans, everybody believed that was with us. To be honest, that's all we ever needed on this team. When we make our minds up and we believe in ourselves, I think we can truly be unstoppable so I think that was just what tonight was about."
"

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2023-24/lsu/boxscore/16566

LSU had 35 of the 36 1st place votes in the AP poll. Will be surprised if Buffs aren't Top 10 next week. Very dominant win. Looking forward to them having larger home crowds.
Top 10 is likely if they can take care of the business against OkSU

Frida going off and scoring 27 is getting a lot of play (as it should), but the Buffs mvp was Sherrod. The effort and leadership she put in doesn't fully show up on the stat sheet, but there was a reason she was the one tapped for the post game on court interview.

(Also, if bb had a "2nd assist" stat like hockey, I feel like Sherrod would have had 20+, her initial passes were spot on.)

Been around since Day 1, Beating the #1 and defending national team and Mulkey is the biggest win of this program ever! So much fun to watch and see these players and JR succeed.

Jay, Frida and Nettie were outstanding. Just a fun game to watch for a Buff fan. Probably the most satisfying victory I've seen.

Loved on X that people were saying that Mulkey will go back to scheduling from the Bible Belt League.

Some reporters actually said that CU is not an unknown and this was not a surprise.

Keep making noise all the way to the Final Four.

I might have to come out of my shell and watch this team in person.

Been around since Day 1, Beating the #1 and defending national team and Mulkey is the biggest win of this program ever! So much fun to watch and see these players and JR succeed.

Jay, Frida and Nettie were outstanding. Just a fun game to watch for a Buff fan. Probably the most satisfying victory I've seen.

Loved on X that people were saying that Mulkey will go back to scheduling from the Bible Belt League.

Some reporters actually said that CU is not an unknown and this was not a surprise.

Keep making noise all the way to the Final Four.

I might have to come out of my shell and watch this team in person.
I was feeling really happy for you last night

I've been watching this team for the past few years. Love what they are building...love the coach. Players are super fun to watch. Last night was epic. Not only did they beat a 'Fab Five' type of team, they dominated them. National spotlight was on them and they SHOWED OUT! Super fun to watch the twittersphere blow up last night and this morning.

I've been watching this team for the past few years. Love what they are building...love the coach. Players are super fun to watch. Last night was epic. Not only did they beat a 'Fab Five' type of team, they dominated them. National spotlight was on them and they SHOWED OUT! Super fun to watch the twittersphere blow up last night and this morning.

I fully believe that JR has built a program here. This is no flash in the pan moment. Congrats to her for all the hard work, congrats to the girls for sticking it out and believing in her, and thank you to RG for having the patience to let her do it. This program was in baaad shape when she took over. What she has done is impressive.

Hopefully we can pay the woman.

When JR arrived they were deeper than in the basement. There were no recruits lined up and the transfer situation was totally different than it is today. JR believed and brought in kids who believed. There were a lot of transfers out with kids that better fit JR's style coming in. She kept believing in what she was doing and is now reaping the benefits of her hard work.

I remember posters here thinking she should be fired after years 3, 4 and 5. That isn't how you rebuild a program from the bottom up. It's done like JR has done it.

I stopped buying season tickets during one of those years and started donating cash instead. I did write RG and tell him I believed in JR but this seemed to be a better option when I can't attend any games. They still get the same amount of money.

There are some items in the NIL store for women. Go take a look. I have spent $$$ on Frida and Jay.

Frida going off and scoring 27 is getting a lot of play (as it should), but the Buffs mvp was Sherrod. The effort and leadership she put in doesn't fully show up on the stat sheet, but there was a reason she was the one tapped for the post game on court interview.

(Also, if bb had a "2nd assist" stat like hockey, I feel like Sherrod would have had 20+, her initial passes were spot on.)
Both may see WNBA opportunities if they keep it up this season and Vonleh has opportunities coming as well with her strength and inside game.
Awesome

When JR arrived they were deeper than in the basement. There were no recruits lined up and the transfer situation was totally different than it is today. JR believed and brought in kids who believed. There were a lot of transfers out with kids that better fit JR's style coming in. She kept believing in what she was doing and is now reaping the benefits of her hard work.

I remember posters here thinking she should be fired after years 3, 4 and 5. That isn't how you rebuild a program from the bottom up. It's done like JR has done it.

I stopped buying season tickets during one of those years and started donating cash instead. I did write RG and tell him I believed in JR but this seemed to be a better option when I can't attend any games. They still get the same amount of money.

There are some items in the NIL store for women. Go take a look. I have spent $$$ on Frida and Jay.
I thought last year was a make or break season for JR. Going into it, I was so conflicted. I love her approach (positivity, love 'em up, build a close culture, play high pressure systems) and she's an absolutely wonderful person, but I was afraid it just wasn't going to work out and we'd have to go in another direction. So glad I'm an idot.

I thought last year was a make or break season for JR. Going into it, I was so conflicted. I love her approach (positivity, love 'em up, build a close culture, play high pressure systems) and she's an absolutely wonderful person, but I was afraid it just wasn't going to work out and we'd have to go in another direction. So glad I'm an idot.
You're our idot, Nik!

but I was afraid it just wasn't going to work out and we'd have to go in another direction.
The concern we all shared before is about her recruiting. I think they have been playing stellar defense for a couple of years and everyone was kind of happy about it. And there were not many complains about culture building part of it.

Things started to turn around after they got their diamond in the rough in Sherrod. And then they started to show promise when they got two great players from transfer portal Vonleh and Miller. So I don't think our concern was wrong. You have to have athletes to compete in Pac 12.

This is the year for us to peak, and let's enjoy every moment of it. If we have to talk about the future, next year looks like to be the rebuild year. Hopefully 23/24 class has enough time to grow and we can come back to top in 2025.

The concern we all shared before is about her recruiting. I think they have been playing stellar defense for a couple of years and everyone was kind of happy about it. And there were not many complains about culture building part of it.

Things started to turn around after they got their diamond in the rough in Sherrod. And then they started to show promise when they got two great players from transfer portal Vonleh and Miller. So I don't think our concern was wrong. You have to have athletes to compete in Pac 12.

This is the year for us to peak, and let's enjoy every moment of it. If we have to talk about the future, next year looks like to be the rebuild year. Hopefully 23/24 class has enough time to grow and we can come back to top in 2025.
I'd love to find a lead guard from the portal for next year. Need a "coach on the court" type to direct things and settle things when playing a lot of young talent.

But that's next year. Win the Pac. Make the 2nd weekend of the Dance. Then we can worry about that stuff.

She moves different than anybody on the court. She's an amazing athlete and so fun to watch.

Back