What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread- #20 WOMEN'S BBall heads to Las Vegas to open the season against #1 and defending NCAA Champion LSU (Monday, 11/6/23; 5:30 PM MT; TNT)

Another cubuffs.com post-game article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/11/7/womens-basketball-woelk-paynes-buffs-send-nation-amessage.aspx

"
Women's Basketball November 07, 2023 Neill Woelk, Contributing Editor

Payne's Buffs Send Nation A Message​

BOULDER — Anyone who has followed the progress of JR Payne's Colorado Buffaloes over the last few seasons knows this much:

The Buffs' 92-78 win over LSU on Monday was not a fluke.

Not by any stretch.

Upset? Of course. When No. 20 knocks off No. 1 — and No. 1 happens to be the defending national champion — that's the definition of an upset.

But this wasn't a case of an unknown catching the big dog by surprise.

Payne knew the Buffs had it in them — and so did LSU coach Kim Mulkey. The Tigers knew what was coming their way and couldn't stop it.

"We had our hands full," Mulkey said after the game. "Colorado did exactly what I thought they would do."

Of course, Monday night's win was just one game. There's a long, long season ahead and plenty of opportunities for pitfalls — and more success. The Buffs will be back in action Wednesday in their 6 p.m. home opener against Le Moyne and it will be interesting to see if there is any hangover from their season opening win.

But odds are Payne's crew will be ready. This veteran bunch knows that every game counts. They know these games in November and December have an impact in March, when the NCAA Selection Committee sits down to seed the tournament.

No doubt, the Buffs plan on being back for another appearance at the Big Dance — and this time around, everyone is going to know they're coming.
"

The goal is not the 2nd weekend of the dance. It's the Final Four.

This could be our year if everything goes the way we hope. Injuries always play into this, but if the players stay healthy, we could be there.

I've only ever thought we had a Final Four team one other time. That was the 1994-95 team. That season I had player comp tickets for every road game all the way through the Elite 8. I was told there would be no player comp ticket for the Final Four.

I bought tickets to the Final Four that year and the team wasn't there. The teams actually don't get many tickets at the Final Four. The coaches take up most of the good seats.

I am not buying a Final Four ticket now. I don't want to jinx them.

The goal is not the 2nd weekend of the dance. It's the Final Four.

This could be our year if everything goes the way we hope. Injuries always play into this, but if the players stay healthy, we could be there.

I've only ever thought we had a Final Four team one other time. That was the 1994-95 team. That season I had player comp tickets for every road game all the way through the Elite 8. I was told there would be no player comp ticket for the Final Four.

I bought tickets to the Final Four that year and the team wasn't there. The teams actually don't get many tickets at the Final Four. The coaches take up most of the good seats.

I am not buying a Final Four ticket now. I don't want to jinx them.
you may have mentioned or hinted before, but I don't recall -- did you play for CU?

No. There was no basketball in the larger schools in Iowa when I was in high school. I played a lot of backyard basketball and watched some of the best high school basketball in the country in Iowa high school basketball.

When I was in grad school, my parents came for Thanksgiving and we went to a game. My dad said I could have played at that point. I could not have played by the 80's.

The only sports we had were synchronized swimming, golf and tennis.

I have been to a lot of CU practices back in the Ceal Barry days.

My friend Babette (RIP) attended practice 2 or 3 times a week for at least the last 10 years.

You learn a lot watching practice.

On a serious note, I'm not bullish on the Buffs chances this evening. Looks like LSU 's offensive firepower is better than the Buffs and they rebound very well. For CU to have a chance they will have to maximize each possession, particularly when the shot clock is below 12 seconds and part of this is minimizing unforced turnovers. Another part is hitting a high % of threes and not be dependent on Frida the entire game from the perimeter. Let's hope Quay has her offensive mojo back and someone(s) else is hitting long range shots as well. Down low, Aaronette needs to be on her game on both ends.
Boy was I wrong!

From beginning to end CU brought it. As someone else stated on a DNVR podcast, this didn't look like an upset as the Buffs were dominant for a big portion of the game. It was LSU that was trying to figure out how to match up with thee Buffs rather than the other way around. Think about how Jaylyn set the tone by just taking it to the Tigers when she had the ball in her hands. And really that's the way it was for the entire team. They were poised and confident.

Last season Aaronette started slowly on both ends but by the end she was deadly down low. She improved from last season to this game. She looked more nimble and confident. Her impact on the game was greater than Angel Reese's.

In the fourth quarter when JR had team go into a zone and it sealed the win. LSU just struggled to break it down.

Vonley looks much stronger and in better shape than last year. She is a big lady, She just looked strong and able to go the entire game against LSU

No. There was no basketball in the larger schools in Iowa when I was in high school. I played a lot of backyard basketball and watched some of the best high school basketball in the country in Iowa high school basketball.

When I was in grad school, my parents came for Thanksgiving and we went to a game. My dad said I could have played at that point. I could not have played by the 80's.

The only sports we had were synchronized swimming, golf and tennis.

I have been to a lot of CU practices back in the Ceal Barry days.

My friend Babette (RIP) attended practice 2 or 3 times a week for at least the last 10 years.

You learn a lot watching practice.
We talkin’ bout practice? 😜

Back