What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

GAME THREAD: Buffs vs. Dawgs | Feb 17th @6pm | Pac-12 Network

Wierd that CU fans simply won't hold Tad Boyle accountable for his teams consistently being soft and non-stop losing on the road. Oh well - only lost by 23 - I guess we should happy it was not worse.

He's accountable, but no miller, battey, nikolic etc. Turnovers are on the players.

He's accountable, but no miller, battey, nikolic etc. Turnovers are on the players.

His teams are terrible on the road every year, regardless of the players. Mental toughness is never there on the road - it will be the same way next year. Soft.

Wierd that CU fans simply won't hold Tad Boyle accountable for his teams consistently being soft and non-stop losing on the road. Oh well - only lost by 23 - I guess we should happy it was not worse.
Yeah. Tad sucks. :confused:

I just checked the records and was absolutely stunned to discover that every single PAC12 team has a better record at home than on the road, and in most cases, a much better record at home. Granted the apparent home advantage is enhanced by cream puffs OOC, but who’d have thought that nearly every PAC12 coach has built a team that is soft away from home? It’s a real black eye on the conference and I hope somebody fixes the problem soon.

I just checked the records and was absolutely stunned to discover that every single PAC12 team has a better record at home than on the road, and in most cases, a much better record at home.

What are those numbers?

This is a very young team and they have a lot to work on.
Even the best freshman are going to have off nights (MW has had few recently)
Pre-season, a .500 record would have seemed reasonable
Losing Miller and Beatty for the season was huge.
Bad refs cost the Buffs in AZ
The team has shown they can be very good, at times excellent.
They should be great the next couple of years.
People from the "gee, you're awesome" generation lack patience and whine too much.

I think Dom may have some kind of neurological issue. Noticed 3 games ago that something seems fundamentally out of sync for him

Figured I'd run through each team's CONFERENCE ROAD RECORD.

As you can see, it's damn tough to win on the road in this conference. With a very young team, you'd definitely expect CU to be toward the bottom, but obviously had we beaten Washington State, we'd be right were I'd expect us to be in the standings around Oregon, Stanford and surprisingly UCLA. It would be interesting to see how competitive all away teams are in these games, but I am not going to go through average point differential for all these teams. (But I did do ours, and we have lost by an average of 10.88 points on the road, and that factors in our 9 point win at UCLA.)

Zona 5-2
Utah 5-4
USC 3-4
ASU 3-4
Washington 3-4
UCLA 2-4
Stanford 2-4
UO 2-5
Cal 1-6
CU 1-7
OSU 0-7
Wazzu 0-7

Figured I'd run through each team's CONFERENCE ROAD RECORD.

As you can see, it's damn tough to win on the road in this conference. With a very young team, you'd definitely expect CU to be toward the bottom, but obviously had we beaten Washington State, we'd be right were I'd expect us to be in the standings around Oregon, Stanford and surprisingly UCLA. It would be interesting to see how competitive all away teams are in these games, but I am not going to go through average point differential for all these teams. (But I did do ours, and we have lost by an average of 10.88 points on the road, and that factors in our 9 point win at UCLA.)

Zona 5-2
Utah 5-4
USC 3-4
ASU 3-4
Washington 3-4
UCLA 2-4
Stanford 2-4
UO 2-5
Cal 1-6
CU 1-7
OSU 0-7
Wazzu 0-7
Thanks, I wanted to do that but didn’t have a spare 20 minutes...

Every team in this country basically has the same goal.

Win ALL of your home games, and be .500 on the road. That sets you up to get the tournament, and that is really all that matters.

Getting to .500 on the road is difficult in this game. No matter who you are, how experienced, or talented you are. It is hard.

Every team in this country basically has the same goal.

Win ALL of your home games, and be .500 on the road. That sets you up to get the tournament, and that is really all that matters.

Getting to .500 on the road is difficult in this game. No matter who you are, how experienced, or talented you are. It is hard.
Yes, and I’ve concluded after much deliberation that the key to winning on the road is....

[suspense delay]

...have a good enough team to overcome the disadvantages of road play.

Clearly the Buffs’ road record is unsatisfactory, and has been for years. The HC can be criticized for not having developed a good enough team to win on the road, but don’t pretend that losing on the road is a special deficiency that characterizes Tad Boyle.

Winning on the road is a psychological issue more so than physical talent. Look at NC & Duke neither team has to play above and beyond on the road to get a W at the others gym, it's why 2 times a year it's a coin toss. Winning at UCLA was a good win, playing down to OSU & WSU and losing is taking 2 steps backward.

One of the most important things is learning what you can't do in a basketball game and expect to win, especially on the road. I won't go into a long ass answer on this just a couple of examples. You can't keep turning over the rock at this clip on the road period. Another would be giving up way too many offensive boards, that'll bite ya in the ass too. Another would be, when the freshmen are playing like freshmen, the older dudes need to step up in that situation not disappear themselves. There has been more as well but I've seen way too much of the above happen this year. I just hope they can finish the season strong.

Last edited:
Winning on the road is a psychological issue more so than physical talent. Look at NC & Duke neither team has to play above and beyond on the road to get a W at the others gym, it's why 2 times a year it's a coin toss. Winning at UCLA was a good win, playing down to OSU & WSU and losing is taking 2 steps backward.
You’re right but the psychology is a real block, not just ‘get over it and win.’ How many times has George King shot at a basket at CEC, games & practices? Ideally he’s laser-focused on the rim for every shot, but realistically the court & backdrop play a role. (How could those trees at Eugene not be disruptive?) The other thing is expectations - at home there’s a little more urgency to win because you’re supposed to. Also more confidence - if something goes wrong you expect to correct it. On the road there may be plenty of effort, but when you fall behind 10-15 points the visitors may be pretty sure it’s not turning around.

Just some random thoughts - still think the best way to win on the road is to have a much better team.

ASU @ 7-4 says more than anything IMO. Hurley has managed to convey to his players the concept that it doesn't matter the back drop or noise, or color of the floor they're non-factors if you focus. CU beat ASU at home in what was the most complete game the Buff's played this season IMO made even more impressive because at the time ASU was riding the wave.
Within 2 minutes after coming into the game you know if Dom is in the game or not. GK will travel at least once a game 85% of the time per game. Siewert can shoot a 3 with more consistency than a 10-15 ft shot. Namon Wright is the most fluid player on the roster, he can do more with the ball in his hand than anyone including McW, Schwartz is cut from the same cloth. Many of McW's turnovers are caused by the other players not use to looking for expecting to receive a pass.

GK will travel at least once a game 85% of the time per game.

60.jpg

Despite the frustration of losing some games this year that we as fans can think we should have won it is easy to be optimistic about this team.

Kin is special, that was not expected considering who was recruiting him. When you have a special guard you have a chance to win a lot of games.

Bey is a talent who is just starting to figure out how to use at the college level. He is going to be hard to handle with his athleticism and as he become stronger physically and more comfortable mentally.

Dallas is a huge surprise for me. We have a legitimate seven footer. His body transformation in his RS year proves he is willing to do the work needed to be better. He is still raw as can be. In the game the other day he was catching the ball easily in the low post and distributing, a thing some big guys never learn. What he missed though is how often he could have simply turned, taken a step to the rim and dunked. When he figures out what he can do he is going to be scary.

Schwartz is an athletic talent who is still figuring it out but has a chance to be a mismatch on both ends of the floor.

And we have a bunch of other Fr and Soph players as well.

Be realistic, we didn't know what to expect coming into this season but most of us didn't expect a lot. I'm happy with what I am seeing because of what I can see for the future..

Be realistic, we didn't know what to expect coming into this season but most of us didn't expect a lot.

It's also interesting that we're 9th place in the Pac, and were predicted to be 9th. It could have been different without the injuries, suspension, etc, but I also doubt some of the players would have progressed as far as they have if we'd had our whole roster active.

Back