What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

GAME THREAD: Sun Devils @ Buffs

I wasn't able to travel to the game this evening but I watched it and found it really cool hearing Tad Boyle mic'd up. I thought he was a very calming presence for the team, he knew exactly what AZ State was gonna be doing just about every turn within the ballgame. Very well prepared and the kids obviously executed and responded at a much higher level. If an assistant deserves credit for part of the game plan then so be it, that's what assistant coaches are there for too, but overall I thought this was a great coaching and guiding performance for Tad. Especially during a two week stretch where a lot of folks, all around not just on here, have been questioning Tad's future, perhaps, with this program.

Fvcking buddy of mine, knew I wasnt at the game and ruined the DVR experience for me with a text message last night.

But, GREAT WIN!!!! Stoked for AZ!!!

Fvcking buddy of mine, knew I wasnt at the game and ruined the DVR experience for me with a text message last night.

But, GREAT WIN!!!! Stoked for AZ!!!
blue-falcon.jpg

great coaching - slowed asu way down, their lowest points of season (in regulation). Said hurley:
"Basketball amounts to a lot things, it's an entire game, but one play that we didn't make that their freshman point guard made in terms of getting that offensive rebound was very difficult because we did have great momentum at that point in the game."

Tad is a resilient dude, and his team feeds off that. I've certainly had my criticisms of his coaching(just about exclusively on the offensive end), but one thing we've always been able to count on is this program bouncing back after bad stretches. Last night was just Boyle reminding us again of what a damn fine coach he is.

Having said that, watching the Buffs play zone D can be painful. lol

Anyone know what recruits we might've had in for this? When coming in the bottom entrance, I saw a very tall young man checking in at the visitors desk. I could certainly be assuming things... But if he was a recruit, he got a show

I was very surprised at the crowd. Even the student section had a good number of people and I thought that was going to be empty this time of year.

Anyone know what recruits we might've had in for this? When coming in the bottom entrance, I saw a very tall young man checking in at the visitors desk. I could certainly be assuming things... But if he was a recruit, he got a show
I believe that recruits have an entrance they go thru on the top level of the CEC (not the bottom), where they can use their passes, which a fair amount of local high school kids are given. If they are on an official visit, they'd probably enter with the team hours before or with staff, thru the team entrance. I saw a great looking recruit myself, until I realized it was Alec Burks!

Going into the game, I was expecting a repeat of the Xavier game.

Instead we got the Paradise Jam champions. Seems to me lessons of resiliency from the Quinnipiac game carried over to ASU.

I’m adding last night to my list of favorite Tad wins. Right there with upsetting Texas in 2011, when you see that a corner has turned and enjoy the character of the whole team.

Last night made me think of other “brick games” of the Tad Boyle era, including KU 2013, UofA 2012, and a bunch of wins against Oregon. Happy fan today.

I accidentally stumbled onto the potential game-winning strategy for the Buffs from here on out. I first tuned into the game with them down already 11-1 ... immediately switched to other programs, as with all that's gone on in the world lately, I don't need something else adding to my blood pressure.

And I deliberately avoided the game until I tuned into it with less than 2 minutes to go ... and we had, what a 4 or 5 point lead and the ball? And *poof* just like that ... the game is tied and winds up going to OT. I vowed to myself not to watch the OT, since I was obviously a jinx.

However, unable to keep my vow I checked in regularly ... only to note that at first the CU lead was about 5 ... and then was almost immediately reduced to one. Fortunately I managed to abstain until almost the very end of the game, and by then it was clear we would win.

So ... from now on I will not be watching the games until there is only a 6 or 7 minuted left in the game. Of course, I could follow the "game day" thread in order to keep up on the progress of the game ... but given a quick review of the thread tonight, that may not be such good news for my BP either.

But to make a long story short (I know ... too late) ... you're all welcome! :D

We must be a team.

Going into the game, I was expecting a repeat of the Xavier game.

Instead we got the Paradise Jam champions. Seems to me lessons of resiliency from the Quinnipiac game carried over to ASU.

I’m adding last night to my list of favorite Tad wins. Right there with upsetting Texas in 2011, when you see that a corner has turned and enjoy the character of the whole team.

Last night made me think of other “brick games” of the Tad Boyle era, including KU 2013, UofA 2012, and a bunch of wins against Oregon. Happy fan today.

Special, special night. Dallas Walton really grew up in a big way, and I thought that Dom Collier had one of his best games as a Buff. Huge to get this win-we can be really loose going into Saturday and next week in LA now. Great to see these kids come off the mat after the disaster that was the first four minutes. ASU is really, really good........but 3, 4, or 5 seed in the NCAA good. Yes, beating Bobby Hurley is really, really fun.

Was on a plane and missed the game. Rallied from that bad start! Excellent stuff right after we were all worried about those dreaded words, trajectory and direction of the program.

Wow, after all these disappointing loses (and wins), I thought this might be a "long" season. But the Buffs and Boyle didn't give us hope as much as a great game! After being down 11-0 missing all shots, I thought "we're leaving early." Even they they started clicking and figuring out ASU's game plan, I figured they'd still choke as before. But amazing performance. Everyone was praising Collier and Wright, who stepped up, but the player that was really making a factor was Tyler Bey. He was dominating the boards, and playing consistently. His stats weren't great, because of little playing time, but he was the factor that stood out, but not more than Wright who is going to be one of the best players to come out of CU. This kid doesn't cause turnovers, and when he drives the lane, you can bet the ball will go through the hoop. He's amazing under the basket with looming defensive players.
I didn't think ASU looked like a #4 ranked team, they didn't have that classic "basketball look" but they came out and showed they can play offense and defense. Defense has changed in the game, and it's more swarming, aggressive defense, that CU needs to pick up. Double teaming is the new norm and CU needs to improve here. I was impressed with passed opponents coming here, but ASU's defensive was pretty amazing until CU figured out how to counter it. The officiating was horrendously inconsistent. "Tom ?" needs to retire. Missed several travels, then started calling mystery fouls like the other gray haired ref. It was his phantom foul call in the closing second that cost the Buffs the win in regulation! Team matchups are different, and I fear what AU Wildcats will bring Sat. We'll see if the Buffs and Boyle can step and make the adjustment like last night. Way to go Buffs, and the students need to start showing!

It was more satisfying after watching #44 be a punk early when he was on fire. He didn't do nearly as much damage after his early showboating antics.

850 KOA gave Collier player of the game. I'm ok with it, but he did not play the sort of game that M.Wright played. As the game went on, his confidence grew, as did that of all the young guys. Perhaps my favorite game in CEC. Helps that I went to High School in Phoenix and hated the Sun Devils since. And the giant ASU db's sitting behind us also helped sweeten the victory.

It was more satisfying after watching #44 be a punk early when he was on fire. He didn't do nearly as much damage after his early showboating antics.

850 KOA gave Collier player of the game. I'm ok with it, but he did not play the sort of game that M.Wright played. As the game went on, his confidence grew, as did that of all the young guys. Perhaps my favorite game in CEC. Helps that I went to High School in Phoenix and hated the Sun Devils since. And the giant ASU db's sitting behind us also helped sweeten the victory.
Agree. When 44 and 3 were sitting on 4 fouls, I was hoping they'd foul out, just for the personal enjoyment. During one of the last fouls, #3 headed for the bench, but refs called in on 0. The officiating was truly inconsistent and just plain frustrating. When the entire arena is booing, the refs need to talk and re-assess. The missed traveling calls were atrocious as were the missed/phantom calls. You expect it (I'm a 31 year soccer referee), but when it stands out so aggregiously and the replay clearly shows it wrong. ASU coach was really working the refs to the point I thought they might T-him up, but refs "protect" high ranked and celebrity coaches and players. Guy I sit with knows all the refs by name and researchs them. Says "Tom" needs to retire. I agree, he's not changing with the game.

Nice to see the group of players step up. Played as a team. And they didn't seem to get too down or hang their head. It was 0-11 when I walked in. Was wondering if it was worth the drive and effort. But Tad kept them calm and patient.
Fans got into it. This should help fill the gym on Saturday. I'm taking +4 people!

Wow, after all these disappointing loses (and wins), I thought this might be a "long" season. But the Buffs and Boyle didn't give us hope as much as a great game! After being down 11-0 missing all shots, I thought "we're leaving early." Even they they started clicking and figuring out ASU's game plan, I figured they'd still choke as before. But amazing performance. Everyone was praising Collier and Wright, who stepped up, but the player that was really making a factor was Tyler Bey. He was dominating the boards, and playing consistently. His stats weren't great, because of little playing time, but he was the factor that stood out, but not more than Wright who is going to be one of the best players to come out of CU. This kid doesn't cause turnovers, and when he drives the lane, you can bet the ball will go through the hoop. He's amazing under the basket with looming defensive players.
I didn't think ASU looked like a #4 ranked team, they didn't have that classic "basketball look" but they came out and showed they can play offense and defense. Defense has changed in the game, and it's more swarming, aggressive defense, that CU needs to pick up. Double teaming is the new norm and CU needs to improve here. I was impressed with passed opponents coming here, but ASU's defensive was pretty amazing until CU figured out how to counter it. The officiating was horrendously inconsistent. "Tom ?" needs to retire. Missed several travels, then started calling mystery fouls like the other gray haired ref. It was his phantom foul call in the closing second that cost the Buffs the win in regulation! Team matchups are different, and I fear what AU Wildcats will bring Sat. We'll see if the Buffs and Boyle can step and make the adjustment like last night. Way to go Buffs, and the students need to start showing!

Glad you brought up Bey. He was a defensive force last night. I was especially impressed on multiple possessions in the 2nd half and ot, when ASU screened at the top of the key, and Bey was forced to switch to Holder. Bey kept Holder in front of him every time but one, and recovered quickly enough on that one to cause Holder to kick it back out.

I'm still amazed at how many offensive boards end up in McKinley's hands. He has an incredible knack for being in the right place at the right time- basketball smarts.

Glad you brought up Bey. He was a defensive force last night. I was especially impressed on multiple possessions in the 2nd half and ot, when ASU screened at the top of the key, and Bey was forced to switch to Holder. Bey kept Holder in front of him every time but one, and recovered quickly enough on that one to cause Holder to kick it back out.

I'm still amazed at how many offensive boards end up in McKinley's hands. He has an incredible knack for being in the right place at the right time- basketball smarts.

And his ability to put it back up from under the giants is almost uncanny. He converts consistently from the lane, with either hand, with english on the ball. We've not had a guard who can drive and convert since Spencer left.

Back