What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- #5 WOMEN'S BBall hosts Cal (Fri., 1/12/24; 7:00 PM MT; Pac Mtn.) and #8 Stanford (Sunday, Noon MT; Pac 12 Net.)

Media after today's HUGE win. (Now - onto hosting the 2 Top 10 L.A. schools next weekend.)

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/1/14/...8-stanford-in-first-top-10-matchup-since-1994

"

No. 5 Buffs Defeat No. 8 Stanford In First Top 10 Matchup Since 1994​

By: Colin Wagner, CU Athletic Communications Associate
BOULDER – In Colorado's first top 10 matchup at the CU Events Center since Dec. 17, 1994, the No. 5 Buffaloes defeated No. 8 Stanford 71-59 here Sunday afternoon.

Colorado earned its sixth win over Stanford in program history behind a ginormous 20-2 run made in the third quarter that the Cardinal just couldn't come back from.

"We talked about it at halftime, we talked about it in every single timeout," stated head coach JR Payne of the long run. "These guys do it, they reconnect, we come back together, refocus and just make sure we're all locked in and on the same page so that no matter what we do, we're all on the same page."

"So I thought we did that really well, whenever we had an opportunity to come together. I didn't even know it was that big of a run. You could just feel the momentum, but it's incredible to be able to sustain, not just offensive scoring, but actually getting stops. It was pretty remarkable."

Prior to the run, the Buffs (15-1, 5-0 Pac-12) were in a tough game, holding just a 36-30 lead over the Cardinal (15-2, 4-1 Pac-12) at halftime. Things changed when Colorado started to pull away four minutes into the second half which eventually turned into a 19-point score differential.

The CU guards had solid performances today with Jaylyn Sherrod and Kindyll Wetta having almost identical numbers on the stat sheet. Sherrod recorded 13 points, four assists and four steals while Wetta had 12 points, five assists and four steals as well. To add to her performance, Wetta hit an insane half-court buzzer beater to give the Buffs that six-point advantage at the half.

Their ability to share the ball helped teammates Maddie Nolan and Quay Miller to both score double-digit points. Nolan racked up five boards and two assists in addition to her three 3-pointers. Miller put up 13 points and 10 rebounds to record a double-double for the third-straight game.

The Buffs excelled in forcing turnovers and producing points from them as they scored 28 points off 18 Stanford turnovers. Most of the turnovers were Colorado steals which created transition buckets. CU scored 22 fastbreak points compared to just three from the Cardinal.

The Buffs have another daunting task ahead of them when they host No. 2 UCLA on Friday, Jan 19th at 6 p.m. with hopes to have an even bigger crowd in attendance for the game.

"Huge win, every game is gonna feel like life or death," Payne said. "We have to win it and this one wasn't any different and Friday will feel the same, but just really exciting. Someone told me this is only the third top 10 matchup in the history of Colorado basketball, and now we'll have another one which is going to be great. So we just have to keep that energy going from our community."

KEY MOMENT
The Buffs went on an insane 20-2 run from 6:32 to 1:46 in the third quarter consisting of six points from Formann four points from both Wetta and Miller. The scoring run resulted in a 19-point Colorado lead approaching the fourth quarter.

NOTES
CU's sixth win all-time against Stanford…First win since Jan. 17, 2021…Buffs improve to 5-0 in conference play for the first time since 1994-95 (14-0)...ninth straight win for Colorado, the longest streak since starting the 2021-22 season 13-0…9th largest home-crowd with 9,111 in attendance…Stanford's 11 points in the third quarter tied for its third lowest-scoring quarter of the season…Sherrod moves up to sixth all-time in steals with 243, 21st in scoring and seventh in games started at 115…Formann now sits in fourth all-time in 3-pointers made…Miller recorded her third straight double-double.

NEXT
Pac-12 conference play remains a challenge with the No. 5 Buffs taking on No. 2 UCLA at home on Friday, Jan. 19 at 6 p.m. MT.
"
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2023-24/stanford/boxscore/16634

Well Done Buffs!

Jim Carrey Dancing GIF

That is a sight to behold. Pure beauty. We wWill be leaving the Pac on top with a great team.

Wetta's half court shot was on Sportscenter Top 5 last night. Idiots were commented that she didn't call it like Clark does.

In the interview posted here said it was more satisfying to #1 ranked Stanford than to beat #8 ranked Stanford because you don't get many shots at #1. She is correct on that.

Not very many players who have gone through this program can say they beat Stanford twice.

That is a sight to behold. Pure beauty. We wWill be leaving the Pac on top with a great team.

Wetta's half court shot was on Sportscenter Top 5 last night. Idiots were commented that she didn't call it like Clark does.

In the interview posted here said it was more satisfying to #1 ranked Stanford than to beat #8 ranked Stanford because you don't get many shots at #1. She is correct on that.

Not very many players who have gone through this program can say they beat Stanford twice.
Outside of the half court shot, which was amazing, I thought Wetta played out of her mind in the part that I got to watch.

Can't say enough about Wetta's play in the Stanford game. And some of what she did doesn't show up in the box score. When she was running the point the team was more composed and didn't commit as many turnovers. I thought it was her best game as a Buff.

CU had to overcome poor rebounding (USC had 12 second chance points to CU's 3) and at times silly turnovers. Hope the defensive rebounding is much better this coming weekend.

FYI in case anyone is curious - it sounds like the CU AD gives the CU PD the schedules before the season starts and lets them know they need to staff the following games. Apparently then the CU PD decides how many or how few staffers they want working said games. Leading to games like this weekend. Naturally, the CU AD is REALLY pissed about this cluster and apparently a meeting was held between them and the PD to fix this moving forward. Hopefully it's better moving forward.

AD should be pissed about parking. Problems with parking will cause people to stay home and watch tje game from there.

Are they charing for Parking?

AD should be pissed about parking. Problems with parking will cause people to stay home and watch tje game from there.

No charge in the surface lot or the garage off of Regent for any of the games I've been to this year.

FYI in case anyone is curious - it sounds like the CU AD gives the CU PD the schedules before the season starts and lets them know they need to staff the following games. Apparently then the CU PD decides how many or how few staffers they want working said games. Leading to games like this weekend. Naturally, the CU AD is REALLY pissed about this cluster and apparently a meeting was held between them and the PD to fix this moving forward. Hopefully it's better moving forward.
I must have missed something...did something happen in the last couple of games that involved CUPD?

EDIT: Must be parking/traffic control related...

Last edited:

That's my concern is that people had such a bad experience they won't be back for the upcoming huge games. A big time opportunity to capitalize on fan involvement and it's gonna leave a bad taste

Any crowd over 8,000 for any game throws the school off completely. Been this way for years. It's a fvcking joke. Got to the MBB game vs USC an hour and 10 minutes early and the parking garage was supposedly full, cops were sending people the wrong way and everything was FUBAR. Honestly, I think things run smoother when the cops aren't there.

I've complained at least once a year and Rick has done jack sh!t. But that's basically his MO when it comes to hoops, so...

Best I can tell is that they bring in a new person for every game and let them run the show and distribute cones in whatever pattern makes them happy. One time the cones for an exit lane were blocked at the end. Had to go right over them.
Just a thought, probably some bright engineering students could come up with a consistent plan that was effective.

Are you guys all using the same Engineering parking garage that I have been using for almost 20 years now?

Granted for packed games, particularly when its snowing its annoying, but I haven't experienced everything you guys are talking about. Granted we are normally there fairly early, but its never all that bad as you all describe.

On occasions I park at the Dark Horse and walk over/back, while my wife drives to the garage. We normally drive up to the house at the same time. Its just trading time sitting in traffic for time walking to DH.

I will note other than when its crazy cold/snowy, the walk is more enjoyable for sure.

Are you guys all using the same Engineering parking garage that I have been using for almost 20 years now?

Granted for packed games, particularly when its snowing its annoying, but I haven't experienced everything you guys are talking about. Granted we are normally there fairly early, but its never all that bad as you all describe.

On occasions I park at the Dark Horse and walk over/back, while my wife drives to the garage. We normally drive up to the house at the same time. Its just trading time sitting in traffic for time walking to DH.

I will note other than when its crazy cold/snowy, the walk is more enjoyable for sure.
Yeah, and usually it's like kinda bad but fine. Last week was a true cluster. I also usually dark horse, but went with my mom last week so we weren't walking that far.

I heard from someone that works at the AD that they left the Dark Horse (they drove) over an hour before the men's game and didn't make it in for the start of the game. Yikes.

But I mean, cut CU police some slack. It's not like it usually snows or is cold in January in Boulder.

Best I can tell is that they bring in a new person for every game and let them run the show and distribute cones in whatever pattern makes them happy. One time the cones for an exit lane were blocked at the end. Had to go right over them.
Just a thought, probably some bright engineering students could come up with a consistent plan that was effective.

wedding singer limo driver GIF by simongibson2000

Back