What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- MEN'S BBall hosting Oregon (Thurs., 1/18/24; 8:30 PM MT; FS1) and OSU (Saturday, 5:00 PM MT; Pac 12 Net.)

I made it to the game last night. Really fun time at The Keg. That's a quality win that will help the resume in March. Cody and TDS are both legitimate NBA talents, and when they get going, this is a dangerous squad.

I was also impressed with the student section. It was full and loud for the entirety of the game, and gave us a legitimate home-court advantage. When I was in school from 2012-2016, that was the norm. CUEC is a tough place to play when the crowd is into the game. We still need to prove it on the road, but I don't see us losing many in Boulder this year.

Also, I saw Sabatino Chen and gave him a shoutout. Always cool to see former athletes supporting their programs.

I made it to the game last night. Really fun time at The Keg. That's a quality win that will help the resume in March. Cody and TDS are both legitimate NBA talents, and when they get going, this is a dangerous squad.

I was also impressed with the student section. It was full and loud for the entirety of the game, and gave us a legitimate home-court advantage. When I was in school from 2012-2016, that was the norm. CUEC is a tough place to play when the crowd is into the game. We still need to prove it on the road, but I don't see us losing many in Boulder this year.

Also, I saw Sabatino Chen and gave him a shoutout. Always cool to see former athletes supporting their programs.
TDS won't even sniff the league. Doesn't play the right style - doesn't have the flash nor the effort at times.

students were present and "on" last night -- lots of props to them

TDS won't even sniff the league. Doesn't play the right style - doesn't have the flash nor the effort at times.
I just watched an italian kid, Fantecchio, ball out last night for the Utah Jazz, with a very similar skill set. . .

TDS will be a 2nd round developmental bench player at the least.

To clarify, I meant he is going to be an NBA draft pick. That seems to be the consensus on most sites that follow those things, and his talent disparity with college players is obvious. Whether he actually breaks through and sticks around is another matter.

great win, felt in control most of the game despite some frustrating stretches

for me, our starters (when healthy) have exceeded very high expectations. the bench is my biggest concern, Hammond was out of sorts last night and I expected Diop or Dak to flash more. need Ruffin to get back to form quickly

I wonder if Tad could go back, knowing the injuries we'd struggle with, if he'd have pulled Anderson's redshirt

I don’t think this proves what you want it to prove. There’s a vast difference in the quality of wins and losses between those two teams.
How does it not? I truly think after the top 5 there is so much parity this year.

Virginia is 12-5, Nubs 13-5, Michigan State 11-7, Marquette is 12-5.

Penn State is 9-9. Tennessee is 13-4. Providence is 12-6. Arizona 13-4.

Miami is 12-5, Oregon is 13-4, Washington is 11-7, WSU is 13-5

Arizona 13-4. CSU is 14-3. ASU is 10-7, FSU is 11-6. And Cal is 6-12.

Yes Cal is by far the worse loss but to say these two resumes are the difference between the 11th best team and a 3 seed and 50th best team and out of the tournament is absurd too.

To clarify, I meant he is going to be an NBA draft pick. That seems to be the consensus on most sites that follow those things, and his talent disparity with college players is obvious. Whether he actually breaks through and sticks around is another matter.
Ya TDS is basically guaranteed to be at least a 2nd round draft pick and I actually think his skills are actually better suited to the much faster pace of play you see in the NBA relative to college.

On another note last night's game was ****ing awesome and really felt like Cody's coming out party. He clearly struggled a bit in the 2 previous games due to rust, but tonight it was very obvious that he was the best player on the floor and was feeling very comfortable in the offense. And he really looked like a man among boys at times.

I also continue to be blown away by KJ's growth as a player to say the least. He's gone from being a 39/27/81 shooter as a sophomore to a 51/47/88 shooter, and is our leading scorer by a solid margin. He made timely shot after timely shot last night and I'm actually starting to get worried that he's going to end up declaring for the draft.

He's now projected as a late 2nd rounder on many mock drafts and I imagine his stock will continue to grow if he keeps up this level of performance. With Derrick White's emergence for my Celtics (16ppg on insane 47/41/90 shooting) and the hype around Cody I imagine interest from NBA teams will continue to grow. Tad gets a lot of hate on here (a lot of it unfair imo) but he's pretty incredible at developing talent.

I think it is more of Wisconsin is overrated than CU is underrated. That Cal loss is horrendous.
My hope is that the selection committee will give us some leeway on that loss as it was Cody's first game back after being out for a full month (and we were missing our 6th man in Hammond, who probably puts us over the top as our bench scored a whopping 2 ****ing points). And the ASU loss because it was TDS's first game back and we didn't have Cody either.

Obviously we have very little margin for error at this point but I imagine if we finish the season strong and have a great showing in the Pac 12 Tournament we'll be able to sneak in. It also helps that we have 1 lotto pick player in Cody and 2 other likely NBA picks in TDS/KJ.

I also think we have a very good shot at winning the Pac 12 tournament, especially if Arizona were to get bounced early.

great win, felt in control most of the game despite some frustrating stretches

for me, our starters (when healthy) have exceeded very high expectations. the bench is my biggest concern, Hammond was out of sorts last night and I expected Diop or Dak to flash more. need Ruffin to get back to form quickly

I wonder if Tad could go back, knowing the injuries we'd struggle with, if he'd have pulled Anderson's redshirt
To be fair to Hammond it was his 2nd game back after getting injured and he was fantastic as a 6th man before then (8ppg on 48/44/75 shooting). I'd be very surprised if he doesn't bounce back with a big game against OSU and get his confidence back. He also only got 11 minutes last night due to the importance of the game so he didn't have much time to get in a groove.

To be fair to Hammond it was his 2nd game back after getting injured and he was fantastic as a 6th man before then (8ppg on 48/44/75 shooting). I'd be very surprised if he doesn't bounce back with a big game against OSU and get his confidence back. He also only got 11 minutes last night due to the importance of the game so he didn't have much time to get in a groove.
Tad said Julian is still hurting pretty bad. Might be a while before we get full strength Hammond

oh yeah didn't mean to disparage Hammond with that. he doesn't really pass the eye test to me, but the stats tell a positive story.

not gonna lie, a little bummed Barthelemy left to just be a backup at Oregon. would be nice to have another athletic guard right now

I disagree with this almost entirely. If anything, his skill set, style, etc is more suited for the pros than college. It's why he's so frustrating to watch.

If Cody continues on this trajectory of a possible #1 pick and on paper we are only a bubble team, we'll get in. Ratings matter and people will tune in to watch the potential #1 pick.

But the highs have been really fun. Would love just a pinch more defense. Really hoping we can figure out a way to sneak into the tournament because although I’m super biased, this feels like a tournament team. Star power and a fun squad to watch when they’re rolling.
Without a doubt my favorite Tad coached team to watch on thee offensive end. The 5 out offense creates a lot of movement by thee players and gives all on the floor the opportunity to score.

Agree that in games like last night they look like a tourney team. The issue is winning on the road.

Also, D needs to be more consistent. But when the O is rolling they are going to outscore most opponents. Last night was an example. At the half with the Buffs at 43 points my thought was 80 points would be enough to win. And despite a very poor start to the second half they scored 43 again a pulled away in the last 7 minutes or so.

Cody and KJ looked like All-Americans last night, but I felt the contributions by others was also critical to taking back the lead. LOB was able to get to the rim multiple times. Hadley hit a trey, was and did his usual power forward impression at the rim and had two critical blocks. TdS struggledd with his shooting for much of the game but didn't let it get to him as hit a critical trey in the second half and pulled down 8 rebounds.

KJ had 5 assists, 5 rebounds, 3 steals and only 1 turnover along with his 22 points. There were a couple of treys he hit that remminded me of Chauncey Billups in that no one was tight on him outside the arc and he just causually launched a trey.

Because of vacation and weather, last night was the first time we'd been at CUEC for a game in a month. The student section was rowdy and ready - great to see.

Team is currently 32 in Kenpom. 33 ranked offense (down a bit, from when it was in the top 15, which makes sense after the injuries). Defense is surprising to me as it's improved and now is top 50. The one wart on offense is turnovers (269!).

6 out of the 7 away games are games that are either coin flips or where Kenpom thinks we should win. Kenpom predicts us to win 3 of those.

What an opportunity. Getting demolished would be such a disappointment if this team stays healthy.

Also, @BuffsNYC, Kenpom thinks we lose every one of the next 3 road games.

more relevant (I believe -- correct if I'm wrong on that)
  • CU is 39th in NET
  • 0-2 in Quad 1 games (no big wins)
  • 7-0 in Quad 4 games (no really bad losses)

So we know who to blame the crabs on
knife crab GIF

Team is currently 32 in Kenpom. 33 ranked offense (down a bit, from when it was in the top 15, which makes sense after the injuries). Defense is surprising to me as it's improved and now is top 50. The one wart on offense is turnovers (269!).

6 out of the 7 away games are games that are either coin flips or where Kenpom thinks we should win. Kenpom predicts us to win 3 of those.

What an opportunity. Getting demolished would be such a disappointment if this team stays healthy.

Also, @BuffsNYC, Kenpom thinks we lose every one of the next 3 road games.

Kenpom is not wrong. I mean, we lost in freakin' Berkeley. My post, however, was not based on how the Buffs have played 'til now, it was based on how well I think they are capable of playing.

Kind of fired up for this one. Concerned our Buffs will have an emotional letdown from Thursday while OSU plays pissed off after the way Utah stomped them. Keg should be rocking. Can't wait to get there for this one.

Back