What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread - MEN'S Bball scheduled to visit Oregon (Tues., 1/25/21, 8:00 PM MT), Washington (Thurs., 9:00 PM MT) and WSU (Sunday, 8:00 PM MT)

I'm glad I forgot about the game. When I watch we usually lose. :D Hell of a win for the guys, had to have it. Saw all the bitching about inbounds plays in the thread, preaching to the choir on that. That's one of my biggest frustrations with Tad's teams, not the only frustration but it's up there. That **** has been going on too long. Oh well, that poisonous snake didn't bite us in the ass last night.

I haven't watched a replay yet, but on KOA, MJ noted that on the last play, Evan wanted to hold on to the ball and get fouled. Tad laughed and said (roughly), 'I wish he would have looked around, Jabari was wide open.'

Loved seeing KJ bopping to the music, when on the bench, towards the end.

We have to get better at inbounding - this isn't the 1st game we've had trouble.
In his post game on KOA Tad was very frustrated with the inbounding issue. He said they knew Oregon would be pressing and spent 3 days working on it before their first scheduled game then 2 days before the second scheduled game and, finally, 2 more days before this game. So, obviously, their “practicing” is not creating game situation pressure, both defensively and psychologically.

Last edited:
I’ll admit, I don’t follow CU basketball as much as I used to or as closely as many of you now. Yes, they’re young and continue to have trouble meshing with one another and they lack a true floor general like Wright. Maybe KJ Simpson will become that. It looks like he’s on that path.

I really like Boyle and think he’s one of the few reasons to have hope in CU athletics but I cannot get over how panicky the offense looks. They almost always seem to be on the verge of completely unraveling, like a fish-tailing tractor trailer. Very nerve wracking to me, frequently to the point I don’t want to watch.
All of these things can be true:

1.) Tad is hardly an offensive genius
2.) College basketball offense is an adventure for every team at times
3.) A great PG makes everything look smoother

Also somewhat related:

In his post game on KOA Tad was very frustrated with the inbounding issue. He said they knew Oregon would be pressing and spent 3 days working on it before their first scheduled game then 2 days before the second scheduled game and, finally, 2 more days before this game. So, I obviously, their “practicing” is not creating game situation pressure, both defensively and psychologically.
I don't care how they fix it but they damn sure need to. Stuff like that can and will cost you a game in tournament play.

Four big takeaways after watching the game and then these highlights:
1) DaSilva is not confident as an inbounder. The windows are early and brief, but they're there.
2) Pac12 officials continue to be a$$
3) Tad has some minor faults, but the dude can flat out coach
4) We're going to be REALLY good the next two-three years.

Last edited:
Inbounds play aside, I'd say the half court O is about as good as its been under Tad this season.
Yep. Most of our problems have been "that's a great look - you have to finish / knock that down!" With some segments where we are forcing things & playing with no cohesion as if we didn't have a PG on the court. Also hasn't helped to have Jabari & Evan riding the pine with foul trouble so much.

We seem to have our biggest issues when the opponent has the bigs to jam us in the paint, correct? Oregon didn’t seem to be able to do that.

This game tonight makes me a little nervous. In Washington on a back to back, 3 games in 5 days. Hopefully we can take care of buisiness.

This game tonight makes me a little nervous. In Washington on a back to back, 3 games in 5 days. Hopefully we can take care of buisiness.
Game is tomorrow. Wazzu is Sunday. So 3 in 6 days is still a much busier trip road trip than usual.

Yep. Most of our problems have been "that's a great look - you have to finish / knock that down!" With some segments where we are forcing things & playing with no cohesion as if we didn't have a PG on the court. Also hasn't helped to have Jabari & Evan riding the pine with foul trouble so much.

His scoring in the paint and rebounding were elite last night, but Jabari was a matador a few times on defense giving up very easy layups...likely as an overcompensation to stay out of foul trouble

Da Silva was the most visible culprit for the inbounding woes, but we would not have won last night without him. I think he's the best all around, consistent shooter on the team.

Massive kudos to the whole team, but specifically Key, for killing it from the FT line.

Buffs on the map after knocking off Oregon. For those unaware how this works, each team in D1 starts with the counties closest to their school at the beginning of the year, and subsequently take the land of any team they beat. With a loss, all the land they've conquered goes to winner. As far as I can tell, we're the only Pac-12 team with land at this point, and it will probably get passed around the conference a few more times.

Watched the whole game. Part of me can't believe that won and another part isn't surprised. In the previous two games they had been in the game relatively late, but just couldn't get over the hump. Too many turnovers, poor shooting, etc. And yet they were relatively close v both USC and UCLA.

In the first few minutes they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn while the Ducks couldn't miss. Gradually they started hitting their shots and weren't turning the ball over as much. And of course they were rebounding. It seemed that once the shots started falling things turned around. The good shooting was contagious and was one significant reason they won the game. It was the main difference between between this win and the last two losses.

Jabari played with tremendous passion the entire game. Really high energy and he avoided foul trouble. It also helped that Battey and da Silva also stayed out of foul trouble.

Preview for tomorrow night's scheduled game against WA - https://cubuffs.com/news/2022/1/26/mens-basketball-buffs-continue-road-trip-at-washington.aspx

"
ABOUT THE BUFFALOES: Colorado is 13-6 overall and 5-4 in the Pac-12 Conference after defeating Oregon, 82-78, on Jan. 25, in the first of a three-game road swing through the Pacific Northwest.

Colorado's win avoided what would have been the program's first three-game losing skid since the end of 2019-20. Five of its six losses - and all four in the Pac-12 - have come to ranked opponents.

The Buffaloes have won 10 of their last 15 and 36 of 51 (36-15) dating back to the beginning of the 2020-21 season. During that span, the Buffaloes have suffered back-to-back losses just three times - twice this year and once last season.

ABOUT THE HUSKIES: Washington is 9-8 overall and 4-3 in the Pac-12. The Huskies won three-straight immediately following the first game against Colorado before falling at Oregon in their last outing, 84-56, on Jan. 23. Washington averages 69.6 points while shooting 39.7 percent from the floor. Defensively, Washington is giving up 72.2 points while teams are shooting 45 percent, both number ranking 11th in the Pac-12. The Huskies are one of the best turnover teams in the nation. Washington leads the Pac-12 and ranks eighth in NCAA Division I in turnover margin at plus-5.4 per game. The Huskies force 17.4 turnovers per game, ranking 17th in the nation.
Terrell Brown, Jr., leads the Pac-12 and ranks 12th in the nation in scoring at 20.9 points per game. On the defensive end, Brown tops the conference and ranks fifth nationally in steals at 2.6 per game. Forward Emmitt Matthews, Jr., is second on the team in scoring at 11.6 per game and tops the Huskies in 3-pointers made with 22. Daejon Davis averages 8.1 points and is second on the team in both steals (38) and assists (48). Nate Roberts leads Washington in rebounding at 6.3 per game while averaging 3.9 points per contest.

SERIES RECORDS: This will be the 33rd meeting between Colorado and Washington with the Huskies holding an 18-14 advantage. Colorado has won three of the last four including a 78-64 decision in Boulder on Jan. 9. Washington has won 12 of 14 all-time meetings in Seattle, including the last five. Colorado's last win at Alaska Airlines arena was a 64-47 decision on Mar. 5, 2015.
"

Back