What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawkins pulls Sumler's scholarship.

YOU may be doing back flips. I'm taking a double dose of Metamusil.

He's a former CU cheerleader. You just had an MRI 'cause you can't walk.

It's got the makings of a good 70's crime-solving PI show, actually.

I'm also very dissappointed about this Sumler scholarship deal. It smacks of a huge lack of integrity on Hawk's part. He always talks about mentoring and building character in the players to prepare them for life but when one of his players demonstrates honest, forthright behavior (elements of a strong character) he punishes him for it. F'ing Hawk just taught Sumler and all the other players on the team that it's better to sell out your values and get what you want than live by your principles. Thank Hawk!!!! (you F'ing douchebag!!!)

You keep accusing me of that. It just is flat out not true that I support anything he does. I'm trying to remain neutral.

I do not think that word means, what you think it means...

Thats about what I'd expect coming from you. Fact is, you and all the Hawkins haters are fuled by over the top emotion. Hey, I love your passion. But emotional outbursts aren't productive. I don't have any particular feeling about Hawkins one way or the other except to hope that he turns things around. How many posts have we seen where people actually want him to fail. There are those who are so over wraught with emotion that they want him gone even if he goes 12-0.

Thank you, Mr. Pot Calling the Kettle Black. :rolling_eyes: I humbly suggest you go read your own posts. :wow: BTW the term "hater" is also wrong. What we love though are wins. Hawkins' coaching ability has unfortunately been proven in Boulder, and he no longer belongs. I think when Bohn said we were close he meant close to getting a new coach, because the other connotation is beyond reason. And the fact that Hawkins screws up off the field too is not as big a deal, but neither is it amusing.

I do not think that word means, what you think it means...

Thank you, Mr. Pot Calling the Kettle Black. :rolling_eyes: I humbly suggest you go read your own posts. :wow: BTW the term "hater" is also wrong. What we love though are wins. Hawkins' coaching ability has unfortunately been proven in Boulder, and he no longer belongs. I think when Bohn said we were close he meant close to getting a new coach, because the other connotation is beyond reason. And the fact that Hawkins screws up off the field too is not as big a deal, but neither is it amusing.

Man, you should read more Robert Browning. :lol: Lighten up.

I love people arguing over these double-digit-win hypotheticals as if they are plausible occurrences.

There has been no press regarding this. At least that I've seen.

Please read the paragraph in the middle of this story. While that is not an official press release from the AD, it is press. Unless you don't consider the Daily Camera part of the press.

Now if Hawkins or the AD wants to come out and explain their side of this, I'll listen. As it stands, I consider this bad news.

Do graduating seniors still participate in football activities in the spring?

They do if they have eligibility left, as Sumler does. And since Sumler does intend to use that eligibility, just not at CU, thereby not living up to his end of the bargain, why in God's name is it vindictive of Hawkins to pull his scholly?

The argument that Pelini, Stoops et al will use this as a recruiting weapon is doubly suspect: "Hey stud, if you sign with us then down the road decide you want to bail out and go somewhere else we'll back you 100 percent!" I'm sure that's a big question mark in most kids' minds when deciding which school to play for...

They do if they have eligibility left, as Sumler does. And since Sumler does intend to use that eligibility, just not at CU, thereby not living up to his end of the bargain, why in God's name is it vindictive of Hawkins to pull his scholly?

The argument that Pelini, Stoops et al will use this as a recruiting weapon is doubly suspect: "Hey stud, if you sign with us then down the road decide you want to bail out and go somewhere else we'll back you 100 percent!" I'm sure that's a big question mark in most kids' minds when deciding which school to play for...

Sumler lived up to his end of the bargain for 4 years. 1 redshirt season, 3 years active. If you can show me where any other athlete has lost his schollie for the spring semester for not participating in spring ball, you have an argument. As far as I'm aware, once a player plays in the fall, their scholarship is set for the entire academic year.

If that is the case, Sumler has lived up to his end of the bargain for 4 years. CU has lived up to theirs for 3.5...

Hawkins is the worse thing this program has seen since fairbanks. He's a BS artist with a giant ego who can't admit when he's wrong. He preaches about good character, family values and then dumps on his own players. I despise him and I don't care how many games they win next year, 5-6-7-8 , fire this ass clown now. He has done NOTHING to give the fans anything to be positive about.

DBT, HAWK SUCKS and basically, so do you.....:smile2:

Hawkins is the worse thing this program has seen since fairbanks. He's a BS artist with a giant ego who can't admit when he's wrong. He preaches about good character, family values and then dumps on his own players. I despise him and I don't care how many games they win next year, 5-6-7-8 , fire this ass clown now. He has done NOTHING to give the fans anything to be positive about.

DBT, HAWK SUCKS and basically, so do you.....:smile2:
Gee, umm, thanks, I guess. Is that supposed to be a complement? :smile2:

Sumler lived up to his end of the bargain for 4 years. 1 redshirt season, 3 years active. If you can show me where any other athlete has lost his schollie for the spring semester for not participating in spring ball, you have an argument. As far as I'm aware, once a player plays in the fall, their scholarship is set for the entire academic year.

If that is the case, Sumler has lived up to his end of the bargain for 4 years. CU has lived up to theirs for 3.5...

I think you're confusing being on the team for 4 seasons with living up to his end of the bargain for 4 years. Sumler was on the football team for 3.5 years (Summer of '06 to Winter of '09). I believe spring football/winter conditioning are every bit as important to the football team as the actual season.

Also, keep in mind that non-football players do not get football player benefits. Why should Demetrius get a free education for a semester?

Here's my analogy: I work in public accounting. We have our busy season which typically lasts between December and April/May. If I should leave my firm in May, should I expect to be paid through November after 1.5 years of work and 2 busy seasons? Nope.

CU football is still a business and won't get very far by giving out free semesters of schooling. Not to mention this sets a terrible precedent for Hawkins. What happens next year when 5 players who all did things the right way and fulfilled your definition of 4 years of obligations quit the team? Do we keep them all on scholarship for the spring semester so they can finish school?

This was the right move by CU.

Not to mention this sets a terrible precedent for Hawkins. What happens next year when 5 players who all did things the right way and fulfilled your definition of 4 years of obligations quit the team? Do we keep them all on scholarship for the spring semester so they can finish school?

Yeah. You do.

If you're going on the recruiting trail and pitching the fact that CU can give you a good education/experience and that is what is important, you don't pull a schollarship on a dude who gets good grades and decides to graduate early. You just don't do it. I've been one of the biggest Hawk supporters around, but I just don't get this.

I think you're confusing being on the team for 4 seasons with living up to his end of the bargain for 4 years. Sumler was on the football team for 3.5 years (Summer of '06 to Winter of '09). I believe spring football/winter conditioning are every bit as important to the football team as the actual season.

Also, keep in mind that non-football players do not get football player benefits. Why should Demetrius get a free education for a semester?

Here's my analogy: I work in public accounting. We have our busy season which typically lasts between December and April/May. If I should leave my firm in May, should I expect to be paid through November after 1.5 years of work and 2 busy seasons? Nope.

CU football is still a business and won't get very far by giving out free semesters of schooling. Not to mention this sets a terrible precedent for Hawkins. What happens next year when 5 players who all did things the right way and fulfilled your definition of 4 years of obligations quit the team? Do we keep them all on scholarship for the spring semester so they can finish school?

This was the right move by CU.

can't wait for junc's response to this. :lol:

Yeah. You do.

If you're going on the recruiting trail and pitching the fact that CU can give you a good education/experience and that is what is important, you don't pull a schollarship on a dude who gets good grades and decides to graduate early. You just don't do it. I've been one of the biggest Hawk supporters around, but I just don't get this.

Ok, what about 10? How far are you willing to take this?

SEC schools are over signing their freshmen classes and pulling the scholarships of their seniors to keep the new guys on scholarships. And these are players who have not quit. And yet, you're worried about negative recruiting on that topic on a coach who has won 16 games in 4 years?

Sumler quit yet some of you think he's entitled to a free semester of education because he didn't cause any trouble and got good grades.

Last edited:
Why stay around for spring conditioning and spring ball when you know you aren't going to be in the mix in the fall? Give him the scholarship that he earned and let him work on out his own conditioning/strength program while not getting any reps in spring ball before he leaves. That'll make him a lot less attractive to other schools, imo. It'll also give someone else the chance to learn how to pass-block because we are sure as hell going to need someone to fill that role next year.

If he would have quit at the end of the semester those valuables reps would have gone to him. Given what this coaching staff has shown by the on field improvement they need all the reps they can get with the RBs to teach them to pass block. I didn't want him to go, but I'm sure as hell glad he left when he did. Now the coaches will have to gameplan for what they have and not rely on him in passing situations....for a back that isn't there.

I guess he should have stayed and then really hurt the team....

While I am sure there was probably some behind the scenes stuff that we don't know about, and maybe Sumler did deserve to have to pay for his final semester at an out of state rate, the public knows nothing about it and Hawkins should not be so stupid to think that pulling his schollie was a good move. Even if Sumler deserved it, the public doesn't know that and it looks like a really bad move to the public and future recruits.

To add to whit's analogy: a guy goes into his boss' office and says he wants to quit to go to a competing firm, but he wants to continue getting his salary and benefits at the existing firm for six months until his new job opens up at the competitor...

I think NM does make good points about reps. Hadn't considered that.

But the future recruiting angle on this is more Hawk hate, pure and simple. There are plenty of reasons to hammer the guy - all of which have been enumerated endlessly and 98 percent of which I agree with - without making global warming, the economy and gay marriage his fault, too.

Why stay around for spring conditioning and spring ball when you know you aren't going to be in the mix in the fall? Give him the scholarship that he earned and let him work on out his own conditioning/strength program while not getting any reps in spring ball before he leaves. That'll make him a lot less attractive to other schools, imo. It'll also give someone else the chance to learn how to pass-block because we are sure as hell going to need someone to fill that role next year.

If he would have quit at the end of the semester those valuables reps would have gone to him. Given what this coaching staff has shown by the on field improvement they need all the reps they can get with the RBs to teach them to pass block. I didn't want him to go, but I'm sure as hell glad he left when he did. Now the coaches will have to gameplan for what they have and not rely on him in passing situations....for a back that isn't there.

"Why stay around for spring conditioning and spring ball when you know you aren't going to be in the mix in the fall?"

Yep, he quit. When you quit football, you lose your football scholarship.

He's graduating in 4 years just like many CU students. We're not redshirting players so they can graduate on time, quit before their 4th spring, receive a free semester and transfer to a new school. It just doesn't work like that.

I wish he would have stayed and helped the team. We need 5th year seniors with 3 years of playing experience on the field.

Last edited:
Not to belabor this but the bigger point about recruiting seems, IMHO, to be wins and losses. Collectively, the large number of players who've left the program early - Kai, both DSs, and on and on - seems a troubling trend. Any one of those cases, should be judged on its own merits, and Sumler in particular seems like a case where reasonable people can disagree. I think we'd all agree that if Hawk was posting 8-10 win seasons, no one would be complaining whether or not players were leaving.

Remember: a couple of years ago Nebraska offered a kid, who committed, then pulled his scholly a couple of weeks before signing day. Big hue and cry (I think there were claims the kid downplayed an injury or something like that). Lots of talk about how that showed a serious lack of cred and how other coaches around the country would use that against the Corn.

Well, guess what? Two years and two winning seasons later, no one seems to give a *hit.

It sends the message to be less than open with your coach.

That is a great team building concept.

It sends the message to be less than open with your coach.

That is a great team building concept.

Yep. Clearly Sumler should've kept his mouth shut until he graduated and THEN said he was leaving. All this talk of CU football being treated like a business is laughable, because very few of the personnel decisions made by this organization make any business sense.

Anyone know what the norm is for this? I'd assume that it happens fairly often that a player graduates after 4 years of college, still has a year of eligibility left, but decides not to come back for that final year (whether he plays somewhere else or not for that year).

If I was the coach, I think it would be hard for me to justify using a scholarship on a guy who had left the team with plans to play somewhere else next season.

If I was the coach, I think it would be hard for me to justify using a scholarship on a guy who had left the team with plans to play somewhere else next season.

The problem is --- who is CU going to spend that scholarship on? Hell, we are DOWN on scholarship numbers, as it is!! (i.e. we don't use all the scholarships we have available, anyway)

Football players "quit" football for lots of reasons all the time. Injuries, family reasons, etc. Yanking a scholarship when AFTER a player has played the season is BUSH LEAGUE. I don't care that he's not going to play at CU next year.

Do you think Bill McCartney yanked Charles Johnson's scholarship after the 1991 Orange Bowl when he didn't go ahead and participate in football any longer?

To add to whit's analogy: a guy goes into his boss' office and says he wants to quit to go to a competing firm, but he wants to continue getting his salary and benefits at the existing firm for six months until his new job opens up at the competitor...

I think NM does make good points about reps. Hadn't considered that.

But the future recruiting angle on this is more Hawk hate, pure and simple. There are plenty of reasons to hammer the guy - all of which have been enumerated endlessly and 98 percent of which I agree with - without making global warming, the economy and gay marriage his fault, too.

Except analogy implies a similar situation, which it's not. Spring ball is the prep for next season, the kid busted his ass for last season, earning the year's scholarship.

Sorry to disagree. Sumler plans to play football next season. For someone else.

And he could have spent the entire spring in Boulder, practicing with the Buffs, and STILL played football for someone else next year.

Big deal. The fact that he will play for another team in the fall of 2010 has absolutely no bearing on the spring semester.

He made a commitment to CU in the summer / fall of 2009. CU owes him a financial commitment for spring 2010.

Back