What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How can CU enhance the Spring Game?

bring back the alumni game. I remember blocking this guy for 3 plays.
Big-Van-Vader-bald.jpg

how much could the liabity insurance really be?
Did he kick your ass Sea bass? Lol.

I couldn't disagree more. Any chance to bring in fans and get them tied to the program should be viewed as a high priority.
Probably....but a really well attended game might help with recruiting.

If we are going to compete with the top schools we need to act like a top school, that means taking advantage of every opportunity we can to build public awareness, loyalty, and of course revenues.

A well run spring game in addition to being a recruiting opportunity can help you sell tickets and help get and keep people connected to the program.

The market that CU athletics exist in has way to much competition to sit back and miss opportunity. This is a moment in the year when the Broncos aren't playing, the Rockies aren't playing and the other competition isn't at it's peak. Use it the programs advantage.

Thanks. When I did a quick google, it said "affiliated". So, separate but with some cooperation on things like campus et al.

Still think it would be a great partnership for CU & with the spring game.

They do have a business affiliation but just wanted it to be clear that they are separate entities as are the doctors who are part of UPI. A doctor may be accredited at both hospitals. But back to your point. I wonder if a kids health type expo would work.

I'm curious as to why you definitely don't want a "game"? To me, the "Spring Game" isn't about seeing the best go against the best. It's about the entire team, IMO. Mixing up the 1s, 2s and 3s to create a competitive game-like situation would be great, IMO
Because I don't care about watching special teams during a spring game. I also don't want to see mixed up teams where there is no familiarity or continuity with the players. I want to see the ones go against the ones and the twos against the twos and so on. Watching a bunch of random players go against another group of random players doesn't show me much In terms of where the team is progressing.

They do have a business affiliation but just wanted it to be clear that they are separate entities as are the doctors who are part of UPI. A doctor may be accredited at both hospitals. But back to your point. I wonder if a kids health type expo would work.

I think a kids health expo would be a great idea. Do a whole kids fair with health and nutrition, child safety, etc. all tied in with games and fun. the more of an event you make it the more energy you get there. With the emphasis they have been putting on CU being a "System of campuses and programs" not just Boulder this could be a strong political move by the AD as well. If they can give Benson and regents what they want they are more likely to get the support they need from them.

I love the concept of a Kids Health Expo. All sorts of things that could be tied into that with youth sports, nutrition and medicine. We've got a ton of Colorado businesses that would want to be involved with something like that.

I love the concept of a Kids Health Expo. All sorts of things that could be tied into that with youth sports, nutrition and medicine. We've got a ton of Colorado businesses that would want to be involved with something like that.

Just as a thought how about if they delayed the spring game until say 3:00pm and had a bunch of kids sports events in the morning along with the health expo. Recognize the winners and participants in the stadium at the spring game. Get those kids and their parents into the stadium with the team.

Why do a release on the naming of captains the morning of the Spring Game when you could introduce them/have them speak at the game?

Just as a thought how about if they delayed the spring game until say 3:00pm and had a bunch of kids sports events in the morning along with the health expo. Recognize the winners and participants in the stadium at the spring game. Get those kids and their parents into the stadium with the team.

Yep. They are already on this path with the "Healthy Kids Day", but it hasn't been built into anything close to what it could be. I really think this could be a big deal with the Spring Game as the main event. The promotional opportunities through local businesses, youth programs and schools could be huge.

Why do a release on the naming of captains the morning of the Spring Game when you could introduce them/have them speak at the game?

Yep. Anything that adds to the "show" to make this an event is important.

Because I don't care about watching special teams during a spring game. I also don't want to see mixed up teams where there is no familiarity or continuity with the players. I want to see the ones go against the ones and the twos against the twos and so on. Watching a bunch of random players go against another group of random players doesn't show me much In terms of where the team is progressing.
Fair enough. I think your desires do nothing in terms of trying raise the interest level of the Spring Game, though. The die hards that truly want to see how the team is progressing are already going to the Spring Game. The average fan wants to see an actual football game being played in March. I don't want to see special teams outside of FGs, but CU's Spring Game is never going to get to 20-30k in fan attendance with a scrimmage format, IMO.

Not only that, but market the important players.

Another good point.

The Denver media tends to be lazy when they are not focused on the Broncos. This is a time of year when they could have a press event that gives the media a chance to know who the key players and coaches are at CU. May result in more and better coverage in season.

Fair enough. I think your desires do nothing in terms of trying raise the interest level of the Spring Game, though. The die hards that truly want to see how the team is progressing are already going to the Spring Game. The average fan wants to see an actual football game being played in March. I don't want to see special teams outside of FGs, but CU's Spring Game is never going to get to 20-30k in fan attendance with a scrimmage format, IMO.
I am a die-hard and didn't go to see a practice.

You can do a spring game without KOs and/or punts if you want to. The more it is a real competitive game though the better for the fans and the players.

I am a die-hard and didn't go to see a practice.

You can do a spring game without KOs and/or punts if you want to. The more it is a real competitive game though the better for the fans and the players.
That's my point. There are only a select group of people that go to the Spring Game to analyze how the team is progression going into summer, and those people are going regardless of format. To increase attendance to the numbers we've discussed, the on-field stuff has to be entertaining in the same fashion as a regular game. The big programs do it this way, why are we trying to reinvent the wheel?

Also, there may be something to the idea that people in CO are far more apathetic toward sporting events than people in the bigger program areas.

There are ways to make a scrimmage competitive and entertaining using a different scoring system and marketing the offense against the defense. I can't remember what the scoring system is but the defense gets points for keeping them out of the end zone. People don't like the spring game now because there is only an hour of scrimmaging, not because it isn't entertaining.

I went to every spring game from DH's first year, 7 on 7, to last year and Embree did it the best. Had the alumni flag football game. My daughter could do the cheerleader camp and perform before the game. Healthy kids day. The game started around 5 or 6 and let the players play under the lights. All former and current players were on the field after the game to talk and sign autographs. Winning team had steak, it was entertaining. No drills. It was something we could do as a family.

MM's are the most boring. The format sucks and that is their choice but like last year I had to go alone because I couldn't sell it to the family.

Not complaining, I just miss it.

Play a game. I had planned to bring my family out this year, and when they made it drills, we stayed here and skied.

Good idea. Maybe make it a fundraiser for Children's Hospital Colorado (part of CU Anschutz). If it became a big event for Children's every year, that could really push things up.

I certainly wouldn't invite an outside 501c organization. I'm pretty sure CU athletics, UCH, or CU itself would like to keep contributions for its own endeavors.
Regardless, I think it was a poor choice to have the spring game on the first weekend of March Madness. Cant compete with that.

I went to every spring game from DH's first year, 7 on 7, to last year and Embree did it the best. Had the alumni flag football game. My daughter could do the cheerleader camp and perform before the game. Healthy kids day. The game started around 5 or 6 and let the players play under the lights. All former and current players were on the field after the game to talk and sign autographs. Winning team had steak, it was entertaining. No drills. It was something we could do as a family.

MM's are the most boring. The format sucks and that is their choice but like last year I had to go alone because I couldn't sell it to the family.

Not complaining, I just miss it.
Mac is just protecting us from all those spies that stole our plays and led to Embree's downfall.

This is the time of year that college-bound high school seniors are committing to colleges.

The spring game is a perfect outreach opportunity for high school juniors and seniors. Send "tickets" to the club seats for the spring game to every kid who has committed to attend CU.

Invite high school counselors to distribute "tickets" to anyone who is interested in looking at colleges. The ticket are free, and include invitations to check out campus.

That would mean that Jack Kroll and his admission domain would have to actually be part of the same ecosystem as CU athletics (gasp!).

The different colleges, clubs, and Greek system can all staff tables in Balch and the IPF and hand out pamphlets.

At half-time, the regions fire departments, PD and all first responders get recognized for being awesome. Scholarships are announced.

This is the time of year that college-bound high school seniors are committing to colleges.

The spring game is a perfect outreach opportunity for high school juniors and seniors. Send "tickets" to the club seats for the spring game to every kid who has committed to attend CU.

Invite high school counselors to distribute "tickets" to anyone who is interested in looking at colleges. The ticket are free, and include invitations to check out campus.

That would mean that Jack Kroll and his admission domain would have to actually be part of the same ecosystem as CU athletics (gasp!).

The different colleges, clubs, and Greek system can all staff tables in Balch and the IPF and hand out pamphlets.

At half-time, the regions fire departments, PD and all first responders get recognized for being awesome. Scholarships are announced.
This is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of the potential of this game. Make it a showcase for the flagship university of the state.

This fits with what I was talking about in post #25.

Don't just have tables. A lot of departments at CU are doing some very remarkable stuff. Set up demonstrations, show off what is happening. This would be an excellent way to get HS kids enthusiastic about going to Boulder and also their parents. It would also be a way to show the general public that athletics can be the public face of the university but that the university is doing some really spectacular stuff that is of great value to everyone in the state.

The energy generated doing this would be great for the university as a whole. Athletics taking the lead on an event that shows off the rest of the school could go a long ways toward building a better relationship between athletics and the academic side of things.

It starts with playing an actual game. I am hoping that we are rapidly reaching the point where we will have the depth to do this.

Utah has a tailgating competition before their spring game. They give an award for the "Ultimate Tailgate" and an award for the best food. They give everyone who registers a free gift and they raffle off prizes during the day.

There is no reason that the university should not be turning the spring game into a showcase event. Coordinate the date so it is the 2nd weekend of spring break. University is still shut down, but you have some students back on campus. Hell, in the morning they could do the Ralphie Runner tryouts, make a show about awarding them their cinch jeans gear and then they get to run Ralphie for real before the game. Rick George and Levi could test market different food for game days, or maybe they charge for something like a tasting ticket and you can go try all the vendors and then leave feedback on what you would like to see on game day.

I spent the afternoon on the hill, at Half Fast, and walked down to Folsom in time to catch the scrimmage portion and then immediately left to go back home. Boulder is missing a huge opportunity to make an all day event of it. Would benefit CU and the town itself.

It starts with playing an actual game. I am hoping that we are rapidly reaching the point where we will have the depth to do this.

Utah has a tailgating competition before their spring game. They give an award for the "Ultimate Tailgate" and an award for the best food. They give everyone who registers a free gift and they raffle off prizes during the day.

There is no reason that the university should not be turning the spring game into a showcase event. Coordinate the date so it is the 2nd weekend of spring break. University is still shut down, but you have some students back on campus. Hell, in the morning they could do the Ralphie Runner tryouts, make a show about awarding them their cinch jeans gear and then they get to run Ralphie for real before the game. Rick George and Levi could test market different food for game days, or maybe they charge for something like a tasting ticket and you can go try all the vendors and then leave feedback on what you would like to see on game day.

I spent the afternoon on the hill, at Half Fast, and walked down to Folsom in time to catch the scrimmage portion and then immediately left to go back home. Boulder is missing a huge opportunity to make an all day event of it. Would benefit CU and the town itself.
Did you major in Marketing, Sir?

Back