What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How can CU enhance the Spring Game?

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Attendance numbers across the nation for spring games have been very impressive in recent years, with most of the Big Ten and SEC drawing over 40k fans.

How does CU get there?

Clearly, it's got to be about football but there also have to be ways to make it an event.

What can be done to take this up several notches?

Would it be an NCAA violation to invite all the state champion football teams & all-state players to be honored at Folsom?

A meaningful combination of free food, inexpensive beer, and real football. Maybe some kind of charity or cause to help with advertising. There should be enough players on the roster for a pretty level playing field.

A meaningful combination of free food, inexpensive beer, and real football. Maybe some kind of charity or cause to help with advertising. There should be enough players on the roster for a pretty level playing field.

Good idea. Maybe make it a fundraiser for Children's Hospital Colorado (part of CU Anschutz). If it became a big event for Children's every year, that could really push things up.

Beer will always sell, and it has huge margins as well - why wouldn't they do this?
I agree but to remake the Spring Game they can't gouge their way through it. I paid $8.50 yesterday for a cheeseburger that could have passed for a White Castle slider.

Would it be an NCAA violation to invite all the state champion football teams & all-state players to be honored at Folsom?
Knowing those peckerwoods probably, Idk though. What kind of numbers you wanting to see? Charity and fundraising would be the route imho. Even something like have a type of thing where people who can't afford to come to a game be a part of the Spring Game, same thing really. It would be a good thing. Have kids involved for sure, let them have great day.

Another thing that might help is to offer discounts on season ticket packages, multi-game packs & single-game tix if you get them at the Spring Game. For some of those, it may just be a wait list signup for when those sales open up, but this is the type of thing that gives a financial & priority incentive to attend.

Could they weave in some kind of alumni competition? Get some of the legends to come back, support the program and frankly, maybe one of the charities we could focus on is Forever Buffs. Former players can slip through the cracks (Salaam) and need our help. I could get behind that.

Could they weave in some kind of alumni competition? Get some of the legends to come back, support the program and frankly, maybe one of the charities we could focus on is Forever Buffs. Former players can slip through the cracks (Salaam) and need our help. I could get behind that.

I'd think an alumni flag football game tied to fundraising for Forever Buffs would be popular.

I agree but to remake the Spring Game they can't gouge their way through it. I paid $8.50 yesterday for a cheeseburger that could have passed for a White Castle slider.
It is hard to screw up a beer - and you have to work at it to make a good burger.

Definitely don't want a "game" with teams drafted mixing up the ones and twos. The offense versus defense scrimmage point system is the way to go to see the best go against each other.

Definitely don't want a "game" with teams drafted mixing up the ones and twos. The offense versus defense scrimmage point system is the way to go to see the best go against each other.

They used to haves the ones on opposing teams with the twos on the other side of the ball. So the black team would have the offense ones and the defense twos. The white (or gold) would have ones on defense and twos on offense. That made it fair while pitting the top units against each other.

I'm curious as to why you definitely don't want a "game"? To me, the "Spring Game" isn't about seeing the best go against the best. It's about the entire team, IMO. Mixing up the 1s, 2s and 3s to create a competitive game-like situation would be great, IMO

bring back the alumni game. I remember blocking this guy for 3 plays.
Big-Van-Vader-bald.jpg

how much could the liabity insurance really be?

Good idea. Maybe make it a fundraiser for Children's Hospital Colorado (part of CU Anschutz). If it became a big event for Children's every year, that could really push things up.

Childrens is physically a part of the campus but not a part of UC health.

Childrens is physically a part of the campus but not a part of UC health.

Thanks. When I did a quick google, it said "affiliated". So, separate but with some cooperation on things like campus et al.

Still think it would be a great partnership for CU & with the spring game.

1. Make it a competitive game. Let the kids have some fun and a reward for working hard at spring ball and conditioning. Most of the kids are here because they love the game, give them a chance to actually play. It would also be a reward to a lot of the depth guys and WOs for working hard and contributing even though they won't see the field in the actual season much. Give the fans a reason to come out and support the team.

2. Have a "Meet the team" session designed to get the fans kids some contact with the players. Give or sell an autograph book with players pictures and space for autographs. You want to build real loyalty to a program, get the children to feel connected to the program when they are young and you have a good chance to keep them. They normally do autographs anyways but make it a big deal for the kids who come to see the spring game.

3. @Buffnik 's idea for ticket specials. Also a chance to pick and buy preferred parking passes, etc.

4. Have some events for families of students who will be incoming freshmen the following year. Do campus tours, meet the advising offices, financial aid, housing, etc. Give the kids who have already decided or are in the process of deciding to come to CU a reason to connect to athletics while they become more comfortable with the campus.

5. As part of #4 above invite the various departments at the university to showcase what they are doing to the public and what they have to offer. CU Boulder has some amazing things happening that almost nobody knows about. Get these people some recognition and at the same time demonstrate to the the public the value of a healthy CU to the state and nation.

6. Have an alumni event with past players, give them some recognition and keep them connected. Good time for some of the players from the past to connect with and inspire current players. Show that being a CU Buff means something for life. (Have a brunch for these guys in the morning or some other event, show them that they matter. The return will be way more than the cost.)

7. Do athletic facility tours, meet and greet coaches and athletes from the Olympic sports, generate interest and support for the athletic department as a whole.

As the event becomes more interesting and valuable the attendance will rise and importantly it will draw people who may not be part of the hard core fans base. Generate future goodwill towards the program, give other stakeholders in the university community a reason to believe that athletics is on their side and is a help to them and sell some season tickets in the process.

Once the event becomes popular enough it also becomes a great opportunity to bring in kids on unofficial visits and show them that something special is happening in Boulder that they want to be a part of.

I erred in an earlier post. I suggested one of the charities that could be a part of the Spring Game was Forever Buffs. Upon further review, I meant to say Buffs4Life. Forever Buffs is the general alumni assoc, and I have nothing against it but I was specifically suggesting outreach to former athletes from whom we get so much.

Thanks. When I did a quick google, it said "affiliated". So, separate but with some cooperation on things like campus et al.

Still think it would be a great partnership for CU & with the spring game.
Yup. There is a strong affiliation there...has been for years...but they are separate organizations. Good tie in tho for Spring Game.

To be honest, I think spring game attendance should be pretty low on the priority list.
I couldn't disagree more. Any chance to bring in fans and get them tied to the program should be viewed as a high priority.

Back