What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How can CU enhance the Spring Game?

If the students had a point system for attendance and engagement, the Spring Game should be in the mix for earning points/rewards. The only people in attendance are die hards.

The most attended and best spring game I've been to was 2008, when the Darrell Scott buzz was palpable. This year, I had to dig around to find the date and start time. This should be an event that is marketed for weeks. For football fans, it is the closest thing to a live football game (by a mile) between the Super Bowl and opening weekend of CFB. If Mike Bohn could get several thousand to come, I'm sure RG can, if he decides to try.

I think if we are going to continue to have early spring games, we should tap into St Patrick's Day.

We start by dyeing boulder creek green.
Then we have a 3.17k race that starts at pearl street and ends at folsom field. Three mandatory drink stations along the way.
CU hosts the world's largest irish breakfast (no not whiskey you degenerates) with corned beef and cabbage
then we all head into the stadium for the spring game
post game concert in the stadium with free flowing green beer.

I think if we are going to continue to have early spring games, we should tap into St Patrick's Day.

Then we have a 3.17k race that starts at pearl street and ends at folsom field. Three mandatory drink stations along the way.
CU hosts the world's largest irish breakfast (no not whiskey you degenerates) with corned beef and cabbage
Bourbon it is then!

Now this, this I can get behind. Mac seems to hate the idea of the spring game...but I don't see how anyone could say no to this.

I think Boulder is going to love the idea of dyeing the creek green. People in this town already have a lot of issues with the school and football team as a whole.

Now this, this I can get behind. Mac seems to hate the idea of the spring game...but I don't see how anyone could say no to this.
Most coaches don't like it to begin. I don't blame him. It's a risk of losing players with the spring game.

There have been a lot of good ideas on this. Love the idea of having former players play flag football or at least be involved somehow. Events for kids, stuff like that. Liked Niks ideas too. FlaBuff your big ass in shape? I don't want one of your legs to fall off or something lol.

Last edited:
How about bring some war vets in and let them enjoy the day with their family. They could be Colorado based young men and women or from any damn where. Hell, they'd deserve it.

bring back the alumni game. I remember blocking this guy for 3 plays.
Big-Van-Vader-bald.jpg

how much could the liabity insurance really be?
Big, CM . . . Dude couldn't even get a hand on the ground by 94! He could drink vodka though, couldn't he?

There have been a lot of good ideas on this. Love the idea of having former players play flag football or at least be involved somehow. Events for kids, stuff like that. Liked Niks ideas too. FlaBuff your big ass in shape? I don't want one of your legs to fall off or something lol.
All we do when we get together . . . besides drink beer and have a GREAT TIME, is compare knee X-Rays and talk about joint replacements.

All we do when we get together . . . besides drink beer and have a GREAT TIME, is compare knee X-Rays and talk about joint replacements.

So, we should keep the alumni as far as possible from the recruits and current players then?

I re-read the thread title and I got to thinking: would it be possible for them to de-emphasize the Spring "game" any more than they have?

I'm a big MM supporter, but it's almost as if he has an actual dislike and aversion to the Spring Game and wishes it didn't exist at all. Maybe he thinks by doing what he's doing, eventually nobody will show up at all and he can stop trying to pretend to have a game.

You drop the cane though bro, that's a 15 yard penalty and loss of down. Hold onto that ****er lol.

I re-read the thread title and I got to thinking: would it be possible for them to de-emphasize the Spring "game" any more than they have?

I'm a big MM supporter, but it's almost as if he has an actual dislike and aversion to the Spring Game and wishes it didn't exist at all. Maybe he thinks by doing what he's doing, eventually nobody will show up at all and he can stop trying to pretend to have a game.
As long as that's our biggest gripe, I'm a happy camper. 10-2 baby.

I think Boulder is going to love the idea of dyeing the creek green. People in this town already have a lot of issues with the school and football team as a whole.

Less of an issue if wheat grass is the dying agent.

It starts with playing an actual game. I am hoping that we are rapidly reaching the point where we will have the depth to do this.

Utah has a tailgating competition before their spring game. They give an award for the "Ultimate Tailgate" and an award for the best food. They give everyone who registers a free gift and they raffle off prizes during the day.

There is no reason that the university should not be turning the spring game into a showcase event. Coordinate the date so it is the 2nd weekend of spring break. University is still shut down, but you have some students back on campus. Hell, in the morning they could do the Ralphie Runner tryouts, make a show about awarding them their cinch jeans gear and then they get to run Ralphie for real before the game. Rick George and Levi could test market different food for game days, or maybe they charge for something like a tasting ticket and you can go try all the vendors and then leave feedback on what you would like to see on game day.

I spent the afternoon on the hill, at Half Fast, and walked down to Folsom in time to catch the scrimmage portion and then immediately left to go back home. Boulder is missing a huge opportunity to make an all day event of it. Would benefit CU and the town itself.
this

Big, CM . . . Dude couldn't even get a hand on the ground by 94! He could drink vodka though, couldn't he?

yes he could. and the Cone brothers were running around like maniacs then too. Coneheads taped to their helmets.

So, we should keep the alumni as far as possible from the recruits and current players then?

Well at least a safe distance. You know, like at a zoo.

I'd suggest getting a clear weekend on the calendar. March Madness and St Patty's day is not a good weekend to expect your highest attendance.

Continuing to have it in March will preclude it from being a big draw, IMO. They were lucky with the weather this year. If they'd had snow, was the plan to go into the IPF? That wouldn't work for fans since there is no seating. Most schools have spring games in April when the bug is hitting people to get outside. In March, people are still hibernating.

MacIntyre, Carl and George needs to get their head together on this now. With official visits approved for April/May/June from HS juniors, the Spring Game is going to become the most important recruiting weekend of the year in the near future. Programs that are able to do it up with a true gameday atmosphere of tailgating, campus/community events and fan attendance are going to have a huge competitive advantage in recruiting.

CU absolutely must transform its Spring Game now.

MacIntyre, Carl and George needs to get their head together on this now. With official visits approved for April/May/June from HS juniors, the Spring Game is going to become the most important recruiting weekend of the year in the near future. Programs that are able to do it up with a true gameday atmosphere of tailgating, campus/community events and fan attendance are going to have a huge competitive advantage in recruiting.

CU absolutely must transform its Spring Game now.

They should have a telephone round table or maybe even a townhall type event with season ticket holders. Get a feel for what their biggest supporters really want to see out of the spring game. Cater the event towards your fans, and more fans will participate.

A friend of mine that lives in Statesboro GA (GSU) had a water line break in her house so she needed a hotel for a bit. It happened to be on the same weekend as their spring game and she couldn't find a reasonable room because everything was booked.

GSU! people. Not even an SEC school. CU needs to figure this out.

Back