What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

If the Big Ten offered CU, would you want to switch?

If offered, should CU join the Big Ten?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Bad idea. Nebraska took the money and now is a college football afterthought. We would fare worse.

We have an opportunity with a down PAC 12 to make some noise. The next few years will be very important.

Suppose CU moved to the B1G, who would the B1G get to balance out the divisions?

Finally voted...and it is NO!

We are in the Pac-12 for the long term whether we like it or not. This was a move for the next 100 years not the almighty dollar. And the majority of our alumi are within the conference's footprint which we didn't have for a long time. Just look at the money that CU has gotten in donations after the move was made for athletics and academics.

I love the way that the Pac-12 is set up in basketball scheduling. It wouldn't change if we added the OK and TX schools. Assuming we kept the same number of conference games, that would mean just one round robin versus one region other than Utah. Honestly the number of conference games would go up anyway.

I did expect a decline in football overall but not by this much. Part of the problem is that USC hasn't pulled its weight as the blue chip program of the PAC. Washington has been able to come back up which is good for the conference. And CU needs to start winning big in football to help the conference. I believe we will eventually beat USC at some point and we will eventually have winning records against every other South member as long as we recruit well. The road to the college football playoffs will not be any easier in the B1G than it is right now in the Pac-12.

As long as MacIntyre continues to bring in the classes like last year and this year (so far), the wins will eventually come. We have a huge opportunity to make a move upward in the South with both Arizona schools & UCLA having new coaching staffs and Utah's coaching continuity will not continue forever...that is why they just hired Gary Andersen who quit at Oregon State perhaps to take over eventually. USC is a bad season away from a coaching change. CU is in position to move up the ranks in the South.

In a perfect world Notre Dame or OU.

I think the ACC already has them.

The ACC announced an extension of its football agreement with the Fighting Irish on Thursday.

Notre Dame, a member of the ACC in all sports but football, will play five ACC teams every year from 2026 through ’37. Notre Dame also gets to participate in the ACC’s bowl tie-ins and access to its annual spotlight national game on Labor Day.

The Irish [...] were not a factor in the national race for the four-team playoff and have played for the national title only once (in 2012) since 1988. If a conference championship were to become a part of the criteria to make the playoff, Notre Dame would have little choice but to join the ACC.

Notre Dame is contractually obligated to join the ACC if it does decide to give up its independence.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/state-now/article149960542.html

But never say never. I think when the contract with NBC is up we will know whats next for them. Ratings I think were up this year.

Last edited:

The ACC announced an extension of its football agreement with the Fighting Irish on Thursday.

Notre Dame, a member of the ACC in all sports but football, will play five ACC teams every year from 2026 through ’37. Notre Dame also gets to participate in the ACC’s bowl tie-ins and access to its annual spotlight national game on Labor Day.

The Irish [...] were not a factor in the national race for the four-team playoff and have played for the national title only once (in 2012) since 1988. If a conference championship were to become a part of the criteria to make the playoff, Notre Dame would have little choice but to join the ACC.

Notre Dame is contractually obligated to join the ACC if it does decide to give up its independence.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/state-now/article149960542.html

But never say never.
I post this nearly every time a realignment discussion comes up, but until one of these GoR's gets challenged in court and stands up to the challenge, I don't believe they're all that binding.

But never say never.
That's why I said in a perfect world.

If I had to leave the Pac 12 I'd rather go back to the Big 12. No interest in the Big 10. Would kill us in recruiting.

I'd rather beat Northwestern 27-24 or Iowa 13-10 early on, than get pounded by TCU 55-13 or Oklahoma State/OU 42-17. As to recruiting, I think we'd do pretty well getting gigantic OLs from Illinois, Wisco, or Minn.

I'd rather beat Northwestern 27-24 or Iowa 13-10 early on, than get pounded by TCU 55-13 or Oklahoma State/OU 42-17. As to recruiting, I think we'd do pretty well getting gigantic OLs from Illinois, Wisco, or Minn.
It would take CU years, if not a decade plus to be able to recruit OL at a similar level of Big 10 schools in the Big 10 footprint. Recruiting would be a nightmare.

Yeah but we'd also get to play cupcakes like Kansas and **** Bailer.

It would take CU years, if not a decade plus to be able to recruit OL at a similar level of Big 10 schools in the Big 10 footprint. Recruiting would be a nightmare.

Respectfully disagree TSchek. I think it would be easier to sell Central Time Zone OLs on the Flatirons/Girls/Denver 30 Miles away/ and Snowboarding than it would OLs from SoCal.

Illinois doesn't even get many good linemen out of Illinois. They hit Florida & Texas hard and still really suck. I don't think they've won a conference game in two years. I know that their only wins this year were Ball St & W, Kentucky.

Respectfully disagree TSchek. I think it would be easier to sell Central Time Zone OLs on the Flatirons/Girls/Denver 30 Miles away/ and Snowboarding than it would OLs from SoCal.
In my observation, Midwesterners resign themselves to the Midwest, as if they don't deserve better.

On The Hill, I see a lot of California plates. Lots. I see a fair amount of Oregon plates, and yes some Texas (outside the Pac footprint obviously. Just acknowledging it). I see nothing from the Midwest, except for a smattering of Illinois plates.

In theory, it should be easy to sell Colorado to some kid in Gary Indiana. However, I feel in reality it's not a good cultural fit. California gets Colorado. Ohio? Not so much

In my observation, Midwesterners resign themselves to the Midwest, as if they don't deserve better.

On The Hill, I see a lot of California plates. Lots. I see a fair amount of Oregon plates, and yes some Texas (outside the Pac footprint obviously. Just acknowledging it). I see nothing from the Midwest, except for a smattering of Illinois plates.

In theory, it should be easy to sell Colorado to some kid in Gary Indiana. However, I feel in reality it's not a good cultural fit. California gets Colorado. Ohio? Not so much
I grew up in the NW 'burbs of Chicago. In my graduating class of 420-ish people, I was the only one who went to CU and one person went to CSU. When I joined FB back in 2008 or so, all of a sudden you get reconnected with your HS graduating class. I was absolutely stunned how many people still live within 15 miles of our HS - it's amazing how many people went to college within a few hundred miles and came right back without any consideration of the other options available. It is at least 1/2 the folks and may be more like 3/4.

I went to CU from 09-13 and I encountered a ton of people from Illinois/Chicago. It just goes by the major population centers, so I met the most out of state kids from California, Texas, Illinois and New York. Didn't meet a lot of people from the midwest outside of Chicago but it seemed like there were a ton of people from the Northeast.

I always thought it was a little weird there weren't more people from the Midwest though. Maybe it is because there are such good universities in the Big-10 that the desire to pay a ton of money to go to CU wasn't as high but I feel like there are a TON of people in the Denver metro from Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, etc..

Kids growing up playing football in the Midwest dream of playing for Ohio State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa and Penn State, just like most kids growing up in CA dream of USC/UCLA. The difference is CU has a huge alumni presence in CA and, as Ken said, it’s a more natural cultural fit. Also, the “flatirons, Boulder is awesome, etc” recruiting pitch only goes so far.

If I had to leave the Pac 12 I'd rather go back to the Big 12. No interest in the Big 10. Would kill us in recruiting.
For athletic success I think the Big 12 would be a good place for Colorado. The demise of the Big 12 has seemed to be a little exaggerated. Revenue estimates are better in the Big 12 than the PAC, recruiting is a lot better than the B1G and just as good as the PAC, and if the conference had a perceived win in an expansion the league would have more momentum.

If it happened next Tv deal and WVU headed back east and a Colorado joined I'm not sure it wouldn't be out of the question to get a Nebraska and an Arkansas to re-evaluate their athletic success in their leagues. At some point fans want athletic success not just beating their chest about being in the conference that makes the most money. If the Big 12 got to a quality 12 like that, maybe they could have their own network.

Unless you like taking road trips.
Yep. Big 12 without Austin for a travel destination? Yuck. Also, UT fans are the most entertaining in the conference. Arrogant, but funnier, smarter and more irreverent than average.

Unless you like taking road trips.
thought about this for a moment, and, you know, there is no P5 conference better than the Pac for road trips from Sep - Nov.

just looking at which geographic areas in each FBS conference are best to visit in the fall, ignoring the gameday experience itself, what destinations would be best (within 2 hours'ish of the campus).

I didn't get overly analytical here, but the Pac is, by far, the best roadie destination for non-game-day activities. I put the MWC second, but I'm still in love in the west and have some bias.

Conference USA placed very well.

The only conference I rate behind the XII is the Mac, and I could argue in favor of switching those.
  1. Pac: San Fran, LA, Phoenix, Seattle, Boulder, SLC, Oregon coast
  2. MWC: Vegas, Boise, Co Springs, Alburqueque, Fresno, San Jose, No Utah, hell, even Laramie I'd rather visit than most any place in the XII
  3. ACC: Florida, Boston, middle & SW Virginia, Atlanta (not as bad as the SEC, as Syracuse and Boston provide destinations to escape the Sept heat)
  4. CUSA: San Antonio, Charlotte, Florida, New Orleans'ish (So Miss, LA Tech) -- too hot in Sept, but nice late fall destinations
  5. SEC: Baton Rouge, Gainsville, Nashville, Atlanta (they all suck in Sept, but be nice for later in the season)
  6. AAC: New Orleans, Florida, DC, Philly, Cinci, Outer Banks of North Carolina
  7. Sun Belt: New Orleans'ish, El Paso (I actually would like to visit that part of New Mexico and see White Sands and the VLA), Savannah
  8. B1G: Madison, Chicago, DC
  9. XII: Dallas?
  10. MAC: Chicago?
full disclosure -- my Texas travel is limited to about a week total in Dallas and four days in San Antonio.

thought about this for a moment, and, you know, there is no P5 conference better than the Pac for road trips from Sep - Nov.

just looking at which geographic areas in each FBS conference are best to visit in the fall, ignoring the gameday experience itself, what destinations would be best (within 2 hours'ish of the campus).

I didn't get overly analytical here, but the Pac is, by far, the best roadie destination for non-game-day activities. I put the MWC second, but I'm still in love in the west and have some bias.

Conference USA placed very well.

The only conference I rate behind the XII is the Mac, and I could argue in favor of switching those.
  1. Pac: San Fran, LA, Phoenix, Seattle, Boulder, SLC, Oregon coast
  2. MWC: Vegas, Boise, Co Springs, Alburqueque, Fresno, San Jose, No Utah, hell, even Laramie I'd rather visit than most any place in the XII
  3. ACC: Florida, Boston, middle & SW Virginia, Atlanta (not as bad as the SEC, as Syracuse and Boston provide destinations to escape the Sept heat)
  4. CUSA: San Antonio, Charlotte, Florida, New Orleans'ish (So Miss, LA Tech) -- too hot in Sept, but nice late fall destinations
  5. SEC: Baton Rouge, Gainsville, Nashville, Atlanta (they all suck in Sept, but be nice for later in the season)
  6. AAC: New Orleans, Florida, DC, Philly, Cinci, Outer Banks of North Carolina
  7. Sun Belt: New Orleans'ish, El Paso (I actually would like to visit that part of New Mexico and see White Sands and the VLA), Savannah
  8. B1G: Madison, Chicago, DC
  9. XII: Dallas?
  10. MAC: Chicago?
full disclosure -- my Texas travel is limited to about a week total in Dallas and four days in San Antonio.

Austin is a pretty awesome town. Still doesn't bump the Big XII-2-2+2 past the B1G

Back