What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

If the Big Ten offered CU, would you want to switch?

If offered, should CU join the Big Ten?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Remember all those Pac12 expansion discussions that people hated because adding certain schools wouldn't be accretive to the conference? Same goes for CU in the BIG.

I think there is only one fanbase that would hate CU in the B1G and it is obvious who that would be.

I think there is only one fanbase that would hate CU in the B1G and it is obvious who that would be.
So how would the BIG revenue pie get divided if CU were to join? Is CU accretive enough to that conference to increase conference revenues so we are paid equal to other members? If not, are current members going to be willing to a reduced distribution just to get CU?

I suspect the answer to both questions is no which is why I'm not sure why any school in that conference would want us.

I think we are asking ourselves the wrong question. I really think CU should think about the MW. We fit culturally, and we could finally go toe-to-toe with the rams where it counts.

But of course, CSU would be the logical replacement for the Buffs in the Pac. They just have so much to offer. And I would hate to see that because it would wake the sleeping giant in northern Colorado. I would not enjoy eating crow when the Rams are more successful than the Buffs in the Pac. Odds are they would be Pac-12 South favorites in year two.

So how would the BIG revenue pie get divided if CU were to join? Is CU accretive enough to that conference to increase conference revenues so we are paid equal to other members? If not, are current members going to be willing to a reduced distribution just to get CU?

I suspect the answer to both questions is no which is why I'm not sure why any school in that conference would want us.

If Rutgers can get equal revenue sharing after a period of time, why can't CU? Nebraska had to go through that too. Maryland probably had a shorter time frame due to their $ problems.

And the Front Range plus Colorado has about 5 million residents. That is more than Nebraska, Iowa and on par with Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Indiana. CU would have no problems with getting in. You are really underestimating the Denver media market when it comes to the rest of the country and the appeal of CU in general.

If Rutgers can get equal revenue sharing after a period of time, why can't CU? Nebraska had to go through that too. Maryland probably had a shorter time frame due to their $ problems.

And the Front Range plus Colorado has about 5 million residents. That is more than Nebraska, Iowa and on par with Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Indiana. CU would have no problems with getting in. You are really underestimating the Denver media market when it comes to the rest of the country and the appeal of CU in general.
Nebraska, Rutgers, and Maryland all joined before the Big 10 signed their latest media rights deal which to my knowledge doesn't include any provisions for increasing pay in equal amounts to new members. I think you're overrating CU's leverage in any negotiations about joining.

I'm pretty well convinced the 22% voting in favor of a move to the Big 10 are frequent posters' sock accounts. Despite what you may think, not very funny, guys!

Wonder if, in 2011, someone put this poll on a Maryland fan page, what the response would've been.

so this is just a rough estimate, but the BTN gets $1.00 to $1.50 for in footprint per subscriber and $.10 for each subscriber out of footprint. I believe there are roughly 1.5 million cables subscribers in Colorado, so you can argue that on the low end Colorado is worth ($.90x12x1,500,000) $16,200,000 and ($1.4x12x1,500,000) $25,200,000.

You can see why Rutgers (New York Metro at 20 million people) and Maryland (Baltimore-DC metro 9 million people) were selected as the footprint population exceeds the metro population of those cities.

I still think if the PAC:12 were smart they would adopt SEC scheduling: 8 conference games. bodybag game in October, bye week in November. They can expand their footprint by adding Oklahoma, University of North Texas, Houston (or Rice), and Kansas. This would lock up the western midwest and add Kansas (3 million), Oklahoma (4 million), and the crown jewel; Texas (29 million).

so this is just a rough estimate, but the BTN gets $1.00 to $1.50 for in footprint per subscriber and $.10 for each subscriber out of footprint. I believe there are roughly 1.5 million cables subscribers in Colorado, so you can argue that on the low end Colorado is worth ($.90x12x1,500,000) $16,200,000 and ($1.4x12x1,500,000) $25,200,000.

You can see why Rutgers (New York Metro at 20 million people) and Maryland (Baltimore-DC metro 9 million people) were selected as the footprint population exceeds the metro population of those cities.

I still think if the PAC:12 were smart they would adopt SEC scheduling: 8 conference games. bodybag game in October, bye week in November. They can expand their footprint by adding Oklahoma, University of North Texas, Houston (or Rice), and Kansas. This would lock up the western midwest and add Kansas (3 million), Oklahoma (4 million), and the crown jewel; Texas (29 million).
Thanks for doing the research.

But my current Comcast package already includes the BIG10 Network and I'd imagine that's the case for many people in Colorado, so what would they really gain in subscribers by adding CU particularly with a lot of Nebraska fans living in CO?

Thanks for doing the research.

But my current Comcast package already includes the BIG10 Network and I'd imagine that's the case for many people in Colorado, so what would they really gain in subscribers by adding CU particularly with a lot of Nebraska fans living in CO?
They don't gain subscribers, they increase how much they get paid per subscriber.

Comcast would go from paying $0.10/month to the B1G for your subscription (currently out of footprint), to having to pay $1.50/month to the B1G for your subscription (would then be in-footprint).

dont%2Beven%2Bthink%2Babout%2Bit.gif

The Big Ten is all about flagships that are AAU members

like the kNUckle draggers? :LOL:

Last edited:
Are you watching this Cotton Bowl? It's gonna be a no from me dog. Let's just stay where we are.

CU is not a good fit for the B1G.
Not sure they are a good fit for the PAC either.

Maybe the Mountain West?
. . . Just kidding.
But the PAC needs to evolve to include more of a CU flaver though. Or it will be left behind other conferences.

We keep getting pantsed, while in the worst P5 conference. Why would you want to move to a BETTER P5 conference? So we can get pantsed even harder? If anything, we should move to the Mountain West, so we can be competitive. The other option would be getting better at football, but considering how many people seem happy with MacIntyre as head coach and subpar recruiting classes, that's clearly not one of the goals for the football program

Back