What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

If you were AD... MacIntyre's job security

I think some of us suffer from.....

circular_reasoning_fore-back.gif

Loss to CSU or no bowl game and good bye.
I even think a loss to Nebraska may be appropriate. You’ve had years, Frost has had on off season. It’s time to perform.

And who would be an immediate, sure-fire better coach and recruiter.
I don’t think any options we would possibly have would be sure fire anything. Those guys aren’t taking over mediocre schools.
It’s all a risk no matter who you go with.

If finding an "immediate, sure-fire better coach" was the standard you wouldn't see so much turnover in college football, but that's just not how it works.

Are we getting a reasonable return on the money paid to Mac? I'm guessing a guy like RG would feel reasonably confident that he could hire someone else that could do better than 1 bowl game in 6 years and average better than 5 wins a season. If he doesn't feel that way, he'll keep Mac around.

Loss to CSU or no bowl game and good bye.
I even think a loss to Nebraska may be appropriate. You’ve had years, Frost has had on off season. It’s time to perform.
It is past time to perform. 2016 was great, but that flash in the pan looks like Leavitt was the flame. People will continue to think that if CU ends up in the P12 cellar again.

It is past time to perform. 2016 was great, but that flash in the pan looks like Leavitt was the flame. People will continue to think that if CU ends up in the P12 cellar again.
That’s what Allbuffs thinks. I seriously doubt outsiders would even know the JL was the DC or was the “fire”.

I don’t know why we are suddenly hoping he gets hired away. The trajectory of the program since he has taken over has been decidedly positive. We have solid assistant coaches across the board. Attendance is up. Recruiting has improved. I get that it’s taking longer to resurrect the program than we would like, but man, some of you guys are brutal.

I think MM is a great guy and I am glad he got a spin with us. He helped shape up a program that produced some of the worst football ever played by a P5 school. Now we want to become a perennial PAC12 power. We want the guy who will help us get to that point.

MM has given his best for five years, and we have seen the point to where his 'best' gets us. Nothing personal, but when a guy is the highest payed public employee in the state of Colorado, he is under justified scrutiny to perform at a high level.

I think MM is a great guy and I am glad he got a spin with us. He helped shape up a program that produced some of the worst football ever played by a P5 school. Now we want to become a perennial PAC12 power. We want the guy who will help us get to that point.

MM has given his best for five years, and we have seen the point to where his 'best' gets us. Nothing personal, but when a guy is the highest payed public employee in the state of Colorado, he is under justified scrutiny to perform at a high level.
The “highest paid public employee in CO” means two ****s to me and has no bearing on his employment status in my eyes.

Leavitt would be a good candidate. He has stated that all he really wants is to be a head coach and Kstate is gonna go with JR. Note that before he slapped that kid, he was on the short list at Alabama, Florida and the like.

Think we would have trouble with any other established national caliber coach and would have to take a chance on an upstart. Les Miles maybe, but his recruiting tactics in an era with guys like Jack Kroll on the Regents; foget about it.

In the coaching world, yes. And possibly writers. Most people though will just see a coach that won coach of the year. They wouldn’t know what impact JL had.

You really underestimate Leavitt's national rep.

On another note, glad to see the two names brought up are Chev and Leavitt. CU fans love the Mike Bohn approach to HC searches.

Top name on that short list of coaches should be Mike Norvell. I do ultimately think without a bowl win this season RG will not retain Mac. RG is a patient man but there is only so much losing he can handle.

Norvell would be a great hire but the fact he didn't get a bigger job this year is concerning with the off the field rumors about him floating around.

The AllBuffs coach search. Either pull out the crystal ball and drop some obscure names to sound smart, or put a list together of people with NC ambitions that would never come to CU. Well you got Everett Withers at Texas State. How is that for obscure? How 'bout moving up a super coordinator. I'm sure it would be easy as pie to get Venebals or Dave Aranda.

In reality you would probably have to go with a hot G5 coach moving up the ranks...just like we did with MM and Hawk. At the top of the hot coaching lists are Mike Bobo...I'm sure y'all will like him a lot. Then there is Bryan Harsin, cause we haven't had any troubles hiring away coaches from Boise State. Troy Calhoun is getting some looks and we haven't left the mountain west region where all our coaches have come from over the past twenty years.

How is any of this better?

I will preface this with saying I am not a big MacIntyre fan -

1. If he doesn't get to a Bowl Game it is time to think about a change. I don't think if will happen though.
2. One year will not make a change for me unless it is making the playoffs (not going to happen). I want to see some consistency in winning and recruiting.

The AllBuffs coach search. Either pull out the crystal ball and drop some obscure names to sound smart, or put a list together of people with NC ambitions that would never come to CU. Well you got Everett Withers at Texas State. How is that for obscure? How 'bout moving up a super coordinator. I'm sure it would be easy as pie to get Venebals or Dave Aranda.

In reality you would probably have to go with a hot G5 coach moving up the ranks...just like we did with MM and Hawk. At the top of the hot coaching lists are Mike Bobo...I'm sure y'all will like him a lot. Then there is Bryan Harsin, cause we haven't had any troubles hiring away coaches from Boise State. Troy Calhoun is getting some looks and we haven't left the mountain west region where all our coaches have come from over the past twenty years.

How is any of this better?
There are actually several G5 coaches that would do a better job then MM at CU and Mike Norvell is one of them. And no CU isn't getting Urban Meyer but why should they sit around and except 4-5 win seasons every year?

There are actually several G5 coaches that would do a better job then MM at CU and Mike Norvell is one of them. And no CU isn't getting Urban Meyer but why should they sit around and except 4-5 win seasons every year?

Mike Norvell is gonna be a top-shelf candidate for alot of big schools looking for a coaching change next year. What makes you think we could bring him to CU? Why does he look better than MM did when he came out of taking SJSU to a bowl game as a ranked team?

If we do decide to part ways with MM, RG better have a real good idea of who he wants to hire and have done a good amount of groundwork before making the move. The last thing we would need is a long drawn out process with a bunch of guys who string us along before taking jobs elsewhere or staying at their current job and using us to get a raise. What did Tennessee run through last year, seven guys? Eight? It was ridiculous.

If we do decide to part ways with MM, TG better have a real good idea of who he wants to hire and have done a good amount of groundwork before making the move. The last thing we would need is a long drawn out process with a bunch of guys who string us along before taking jobs elsewhere or staying at their current job and using us to get a raise. What did Tennessee run through last year, seven guys? Eight? It was ridiculous.
The Tennessee situation wasn't due to a long drawn out search. That was due to their idiot fan base not liking Greg Schiano and the AD letting them run the program. Most everything Rick George has touched at CU has turned to gold, so I I'll give him the benefit of the doubt in making the right decision if he decides to make a change.

The Tennessee situation wasn't due to a long drawn out search. That was due to their idiot fan base not liking Greg Schiano and the AD letting them run the program. Most everything Rick George has touched at CU has turned to gold, so I I'll give him the benefit of the doubt in making the right decision if he decides to make a change.
Schiano was one of several targets that didn’t work out, many of which played them for a better deal somewhere else. Gundy and Gruden both come to mind. Venables too, maybe?

Point being, while I agree that RG has his **** together, I don’t want to be played. I hope he has done his due diligence before he makes a move, assuming he makes a move.

Back