What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Investigation completed: Meyer suspended three games

I just don't know what Urban Meyer and Ohio State gained by keeping Zach Smith around. Could Urban really not find an equal or better WR coach? I don't see this as some kind of "big boy program" decision because "that's how you win".

I just don't know what Urban Meyer and Ohio State gained by keeping Zach Smith around. Could Urban really not find an equal or better WR coach? I don't see this as some kind of "big boy program" decision because "that's how you win".
Mr Smith probably knows where Urban's skeletons are buried.

I’m not talking about Urban’s decision. I’m talking about how OSU is handling it.

Urban did whatever he wanted to because he knows the consequences are minimal so long as he keeps winning.

I see it as a symptom of the "big boy" football issue. Urban kept Smith because Meyer is under the impression that he is above reproach from the University based on his coaching achievements. And by the look of things, he might be right.

Because he is Urban's guy. What Urban wants Urban gets.

Does a guy beat his wife or girlfriend (or both,) does a QB steal crab legs and punch people in bars, does a guy not go to class or expect a professor to pass him even if he doesn't turn in work? Doesn't matter, he helps us win.

This is about winning boys, nothing more important, if you want to win you have to have your priorities in order. These individuals in the press and all these bleeding hearts just don't understand the idea of full commitment to a cause.

If a few women or girls bleed a little bit in the process we can deal with that, our players bleed every day on the field. If you didn't believe that you wouldn't still owe me $41 million dollars.

Because he is Urban's guy. What Urban wants Urban gets.

Does a guy beat his wife or girlfriend (or both,) does a QB steal crab legs and punch people in bars, does a guy not go to class or expect a professor to pass him even if he doesn't turn in work? Doesn't matter, he helps us win.

This is about winning boys, nothing more important, if you want to win you have to have your priorities in order. These individuals in the press and all these bleeding hearts just don't understand the idea of full commitment to a cause.

If a few women or girls bleed a little bit in the process we can deal with that, our players bleed every day on the field. If you didn't believe that you wouldn't still owe me $41 million dollars.
But this is my point. The "big boy" culture in college football is typically about win at all costs, which Jameis Winston surely helped FSU do, it's the reason Aaron Hernandez was a big time player at Florida, even though he had a ton of red flags, etc etc. Did Zach Smith really help Ohio State win games so much that Urban needed to risk his career by keeping him around and helping sweep it under the rug?

The points by Not Sure and Gary above make sense, where the institution is taking using the win at all costs approach.

I guess if we have to cheat and lower our moral and academic standards to win at that level I’ll have to be content with more modest success.
I've always believed that Michigan was the model. Public university with high academic standards, low tolerance for behavioral issues, and an expectation that coaches do not commit serious NCAA infractions.

That is not a pipe dream.

I guess if we have to cheat and lower our moral and academic standards to win at that level I’ll have to be content with more modest success.
Yup. That’s what I’ve done. I want no part of that sewer. Obviously I want to win, but not at the expense of my soul and certainly not at the expense of innocent people caught up in the machine.

I've always believed that Michigan was the model. Public university with high academic standards, low tolerance for behavioral issues, and an expectation that coaches do not commit serious NCAA infractions.

That is not a pipe dream.
How many nattys do they have at Michigan the last 10 years?

They’re playing by a different set of rules than the folks in Columbus.

How many nattys do they have at Michigan the last 10 years?

They’re playing by a different set of rules than the folks in Columbus.
Sure. The blue bloods who play by the rules I outlined (Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas, among others) have it a bit tougher than programs that have the lowest possible academic admittance standards for athletes (and even push those boundaries by saying that a number of their recruits have "learning disabilities" that allow them to take players who don't even meet NCAA clearinghouse). They have it tougher than programs that have athlete paths where the players aren't allowed to pursue majors that would be too rigorous and conflict with football time, instead having them take "show up to get an A or B" courses. They have it tougher than programs that get into bidding wars for players. They have it tougher than programs that turn a blind eye to behavioral problems and to coaches abusing players. But they still compete at the highest level. It's really the only path for CU to take within its culture and that's where RG has to model things. Trying to be Miami of its heyday would never fly at CU and I don't think that's what most of us would want anyway. It doesn't fit the DNA.

Sure. The blue bloods who play by the rules I outlined (Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas, among others) have it a bit tougher than programs that have the lowest possible academic admittance standards for athletes (and even push those boundaries by saying that a number of their recruits have "learning disabilities" that allow them to take players who don't even meet NCAA clearinghouse). They have it tougher than programs that have athlete paths where the players aren't allowed to pursue majors that would be too rigorous and conflict with football time, instead having them take "show up to get an A or B" courses. They have it tougher than programs that get into bidding wars for players. They have it tougher than programs that turn a blind eye to behavioral problems and to coaches abusing players. But they still compete at the highest level. It's really the only path for CU to take within its culture and that's where RG has to model things. Trying to be Miami of its heyday would never fly at CU and I don't think that's what most of us would want anyway. It doesn't fit the DNA.
I agree with you. But the unfortunate byproduct of that reality is that it’s very unlikely we will ever see another national championship at CU in football. Seasons like 2016 are probably the best we can realistically hope for. Michigan and Wisconsin are great models to follow, but they are faced with the same reality.

I agree with you. But the unfortunate byproduct of that reality is that it’s very unlikely we will ever see another national championship at CU in football. Seasons like 2016 are probably the best we can realistically hope for. Michigan and Wisconsin are great models to follow, but they are faced with the same reality.
I agree that another national championship is unlikely. I'd argue that it's even more unlikely at CU if the program tried to go rogue. We don't have the booster support, culture and university support for that type of thing. An attempt at that would end in disaster. It has led to disaster every time CU has tried to even dip its toe in that pool with the program getting busted and then internal forces tearing down the program for behaving as a football factory instead of as an extension of the university. At other places, the athletic department (particularly football) is treated as a separate business entity that is affiliated with the university -- separate, equal and pretty much hands off. That will never be the case at CU.

I don't think it's impossible CU could win another natty. As it stands now, no. They had no shot when BMac started out either, until they did.

Absolutely. Abso-****ing-lutely. College sports can psst me off. I stopped for a bit, and still feel moral pangs when **** like this comes up. Our moral standards MUST be maintained - one of the reasons why I like HCMM and Tad Boyle. College sports could be so much more wonderful overall if we collectively had some integrity based on shared values.

I don’t agree. In 2016 we were getting pretty close to playoff consideration. Of course we weren’t good enough in the end. But with the current system and especially if it gets expanded to 8 teams, we could easily, relatively speaking, get into a playoff and have, at worst, a punchers chance. Basically it would take winning the Pac. Then who knows?

Absolutely. Abso-****ing-lutely. College sports can psst me off. I stopped for a bit, and still feel moral pangs when **** like this comes up. Our moral standards MUST be maintained - one of the reasons why I like HCMM and Tad Boyle. College sports could be so much more wonderful overall if we collectively had some integrity based on shared values.
College sports is a microcosm of a society that elected DJT to POTUS, favoring appearance and money over all. All I'm trying to say is that, in violent agreement, I'm pissed off in whatever direction I look.

I don’t agree. In 2016 we were getting pretty close to playoff consideration. Of course we weren’t good enough in the end. But with the current system and especially if it gets expanded to 8 teams, we could easily, relatively speaking, get into a playoff and have, at worst, a punchers chance. Basically it would take winning the Pac. Then who knows?
Especially when you consider the overall talent level Colorado was recruiting at the time. Colorado can absolutely recruit at a high level.

Reactions: DBT
Back