What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jay Johnson - OC/QBs for your Colorado Buffaloes

I didn't like the hire at first and I couldn't figure out why..........and then it hit me................

NkFDvFoC_400x400.jpg

Johnson_Jay.jpg

..................................................He is Lindgren's older brother!!!

And in bad weather, which is admittedly a factor (even though I tend to minimize that in these discussions).

We tend to focus on the weather possibilities along the front range, and that's valid to some degree (#of home games).

There's always a chance for dicey weather when we consider games in utah, oregon, washington, and (to a lesser extent) northern california.

FWIW, UGA instilled some up-tempo stuff into their offense this season and had nice results. They were even able to jump on Alabama with their tempo/power stuff. The middle of the field became very wide open with crossing routes and the TE getting love.

Elliot Uzelac. Not a first time OC - and his offenses hummed (minus the Huskers), but were also crazy talented.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliot_Uzelac

Edit - he's the one that brought the 1 back, 2 TE formation we used with Kordell and Rashaan. And Skippy was never our OC. He was the QB coach when promoted to HC. That was one of the reasons the move was so controversial at the time.

Les Steckel was our oc in 92, before he left for the broncos in 93.

FWIW, UGA instilled some up-tempo stuff into their offense this season and had nice results. They were even able to jump on Alabama with their tempo/power stuff. The middle of the field became very wide open with crossing routes and the TE getting love.

Up tempo certainly wasn't Georgia bread n butter. They finished the season at 110th in offensive pace.

I initially like this choice...has P5 OC experience and I have no reason to doubt Tuck’s judgment. Go Buffs!!!

I hope that we're not going to see square pegs being pounded into round holes in 2019, though.

The situations with the offensive line and RB positions are going to make a clean transition to a physical run-first offense all but impossible in one season, barring a bunch of big gets with incoming freshmen, juco transfers, and maybe grad transfers.

A real o-line coach could help, but not much.

I wouldn't mind a move away from an uptempo offense...BUT...I would love to see the 3rd down conversion numbers improve significantly.

I hope that we're not going to see square pegs being pounded into round holes in 2019, though.

The situations with the offensive line and RB positions are going to make a clean transition to a physical run-first offense all but impossible in one season, barring a bunch of big gets with incoming freshmen, juco transfers, and maybe grad transfers.

Well... I think we’ll see an uptick on the OL simply from better coaching from the top and a heavier emphasis on the run game. The adams technical stuff was not a fit for the players we have on the OL. I expect the blocking technique to change and therefore improve this season.

Let's be real here, it's not like this year's OL held up well in the passing game.

Well, it's not James Coley, but I like this guys resume for OC and play caller. Seems he's probably a total zero on the recruiting front, but hopefully he can at least help close.

edit: sounds like maybe not a total zero on the recruiting front. Georgia people saying he had a big assist for 5* Justin Fields, so.. still probably not a recruiting machine, but better than a Clancy Pendergast or something

Last edited:
This coach hiring process has made me realize there seem to be a chunk of posters who need to get look-alikes and superficial opinions out of their system prior to actually considering qualifications.

Are you saying that those of us that don't like the hire because his looks remind us of Brian Lindgren are being superficial? I guess that makes you judgmental!

Last edited:
Back