What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jay Johnson - OC/QBs for your Colorado Buffaloes

I imagine being around an elite program like Georgia has its advantages.

Analyst at Georgia is more advantageous than an OC year at Virginia (or a similarly mediocre team). Two years is fine.

This is a good move-He's got an intriguing resume, and he's easily the most accomplished Offensive Coordinator (and I believe the first guy to have this job who had previously been an OC at a power 5 school since......Elliot Uzelac?) we've had in god knows how long. I'm good with it.

Last edited:
P5 OC experience and I remember those Rajun Cajun teams putting up points. Programs at the level of Georgia don't just let guys hang around making 6 figures unless they're adding real value ... the coaching staff there has too many connections to plenty other bright offensive minds that would have loved to have his analyst job. Let's hope behind the scenes he was a integral part of their scheme. At this point, we gotta trust Tucker's process.

I saw that. I can understand doing that for one season, but the fact he stayed for a second implies he didn’t have any offers last offseason. Why?
New opportunity to learn in a very good system and restock the quiver, while waiting for better opportunities than the ones he currently had.

2019 could be a rough transition.

Well yeah. I think that 6 or 7 wins is the way upside next year given the tougher schedule and the need to get better at OL & deeper at RB. I do like the trend to old fashioned ball a la Washington but it will take a couple of years. And I really like MT's mention of the Kansas JUCO system. He didn't come here to fail.

It’s starting to look like this is a frame-off restoration project for HCMT. He’s got some very diffinitive ideas as to what he wants here. More eyebrow raising coming.

We will be slowly moving to more Athletic QB’s who are dual threat. Look at top 2 Heisman candidates and look at who has won the last couple of National Championships. QB’s are a changing in college football. I like Lytle and Stenstrom, and Montez will fit this next year. But long term, I bet Coach Tucker will be moving the room in another direction.

Hope OCJJ makes a name for himself in Boulder. He hasnt checked the box as a genius with an innovative offensive mind, nor a recruiting phenom. What I see on first read is a technician who demands fundamentally sound mechanics and ball control. I see a coach whith a focus on player development and execution. Not gimmicks. Hard nosed football that relies on fundimentals where our guys are expected to win individual battles.

This is a meat & potatoes hire, not French pastry.

Pressure appears to be on the position coaches to find and build OLine & RB talent.

I am expecting more throws to TEs and winning the turnover battle.

The path to how the OLine gets better and how CU recruits inside our CA/TX/CO footprint remains an open question. Checks box for Louisiana, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Programs at the level of Georgia don't just let guys hang around making 6 figures unless they're adding real value ...
This is one of the real differences between the powerhouse schools in college football and how CU has been up to this point. The school has tolerated low performance assistant coaches when perennial powerhouses see to it that poor performers on the staff are cut loose and replaced with someone who will get the job done.

OLINE and recruiting will make or break the program near-term. Starting to worry this class will be one of those low ranked ‘gap’ transition classes that creates issues for us down the road.

y'all can do your own googling, but here's one vid from when he was the ragin' cajun oc.

they go fast, they run a power formation at tempo, with a mobile qb. this offense put up a ton of points back in the day and it was exciting to watch.

I like the idea of using Montez's size in the QB running game but my biggest concern is that can Montez take all those licks over the course of the season? I'm sure I'm not the only one who saw Montez a little woozy on the sidelines at times after some hard licks over the last few seasons.

I'm sure some of you still play NCAA Football 14 and I think it would be cool to check out Louisiana Lafayette's playbook & team at the time.

I like the idea of using Montez's size in the QB running game but my biggest concern is that can Montez take all those licks over the course of the season? I'm sure I'm not the only one who saw Montez a little woozy on the sidelines at times after some hard licks over the last few seasons.

I'm sure some of you still play NCAA Football 14 and I think it would be cool to check out Louisiana Lafayette's playbook & team at the time.
There goes my 2 hours of video game time this week.

Having Montez running the ball more regularly might be troublesome the way he likes to slide at the closest sign of contact

I'll follow Liver's lead and include some highlights of Johnson's 2016 year at Minnesota.

Gophers 31, Rams 24

Gophers 31, Terps 10

Gophers 34, Scarlet Knights 32

Gophers 41, Illini 17

Gophers 44, Boilermakers 31

Thanks, great stuff. I like that offense. Hell, it's basically what I ran in NCAA 2014. Run the damn ball, shots down the field, counters to blitzes with RB screens. Except those, I didn't run those, that **** never worked right in that game. :ROFLMAO:

Having Montez run the ball might be troublesome in the way he just isn't that fast, or quick, or particularly interested in running the ball.

Back