What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jay Johnson - OC/QBs for your Colorado Buffaloes

The situations with the offensive line and RB positions are going to make a clean transition to a physical run-first offense all but impossible in one season, barring a bunch of big gets with incoming freshmen, juco transfers, and maybe grad transfers.

I'm a bit more optimistic on the OL for next year than I was when we were a wrist-slashing 0-7. Yes. It's been almost of month of perspective!

(All of this presumes almost nothing from the new coaching staff, and I'm incredibly excited about MT and what he brings.)

For one, three of our five starters last year were first year starters, even freshman. (We should never have been at that point.) We should also get a fully-ready Moretti this year. I still believe he can be a beast if he's fully recovered, and it's been a couple of years now of rehabbing that horrible injury. That could gives us a real set of starters, with some experience, size, and/or innate talent. If you look at all the JC DLs we've brought in, none of them (beyond Mustafa) were great in their first year. But, by their second year starting they were far better, even dominant at times (though, mainly during 2016).

My suggested point is, as it relates to line play, it takes at least a year in the trenches to really be able to battle with the PAC 12 guys. It may take more than that (including a different level of recruits) to be able to battle the really big guys of the SEC. But, if our three younger starters from last year, and Moretti, can be moved forward in their development, we may have a useable OL. (And maybe Lynott's problems were health related or horrible points of focus in coaching.) Once we get to usable OL, we have a fun set of WRs with size and speed. Montez can get the ball downfield with some time and trust in his OL.

Get us a RB and we may really score.

All of which doesn't even factor in the impact of the new OC and HC! I'm feeling a spring ball level of exclamation points brewing!!!!!

(Oh. We only have one TE on the roster who understands football at this point. Hmm.. I take back two exclamation points. OH! We should get Poploski back! Ok. Add one more exclamation point back!)

Why did this guy just spend two seasons as a QC guy making less than 200k combined at this stage of his career?

Why did this guy just spend two seasons as a QC guy making less than 200k combined at this stage of his career?
From Jan 2018:
Johnson is now set to earn $135,000 in base salary, according to information provided by UGA on Tuesday. Johnson was earning $50,000 last year from UGA, during a year he was still being paid $550,000 by Minnesota, his former school.

By this post, I infer that you have had an uninterrupted chain of successful career moves. For many of us, we get stuck in ****ty situations etc that put us behind. IDK which for this guy, but I wouldn't assume the worst.

I saw that. I can understand doing that for one season, but the fact he stayed for a second implies he didn’t have any offers last offseason. Why?
Cause Tucker told him he was going to make him his OC when he left UGA?

An analyst position for a couple seasons at a top school actually makes for a nice transition to OC.

Transition from OC to .... OC?

I totally get doing that for one season, especially when money is no concern as you’re still getting paid from your previous job. But why the second?

I totally get doing that for one season, especially when money is no concern as you’re still getting paid from your previous job. But why the second?
Because he was awful at his last job, and Kirby told him he was lucky to be even kept on staff in a volunteer position. However, he has dirt on both Kirby and Tucker, he was retained and now blackmailed Tucker for a job here. We can only pray he screws up bad enough for us to get rid of him sometime in the next ten years.

I imagine being around an elite program like Georgia has its advantages.

Analyst at Georgia is more advantageous than an OC year at Virginia (or a similarly mediocre team). Two years is fine.

Because he was awful at his last job, and Kirby told him he was lucky to be even kept on staff in a volunteer position. However, he has dirt on both Kirby and Tucker, he was retained and now blackmailed Tucker for a job here. We can only pray he screws up bad enough for us to get rid of him sometime in the next ten years.

So it’s not okay to ask questions anymore about the possible hire of what might be the most important position on this staff except for the HC?

So it’s not okay to ask questions anymore about the possible hire of what might be the most important position on this staff except for the HC?

No and by some amazing miracle, our OL is more capable of running the power run game next year. Tucker will get all the top juco OL to come here. Same people who blasted this same OL all year. Sure, I can see them being a little better next year but power run game? Okay.

No and by some amazing miracle, our OL is more capable of running the power run game next year. Tucker will get all the top juco OL to come here. Same people who blasted this same OL all year. Sure, I can see them being a little better next year but power run game? Okay.
Duff is saying Zone, not Power, for next year

Who said anything about duff? I read duff's post and that at least has a transition aspect to it but even then, this team has to be balanced, this ain't the broncos.

Georgia is balanced. Johnson's offenses in the past have been balanced.

I'm a bit more optimistic on the OL for next year than I was when we were a wrist-slashing 0-7. Yes. It's been almost of month of perspective!

(All of this presumes almost nothing from the new coaching staff, and I'm incredibly excited about MT and what he brings.)

For one, three of our five starters last year were first year starters, even freshman. (We should never have been at that point.) We should also get a fully-ready Moretti this year. I still believe he can be a beast if he's fully recovered, and it's been a couple of years now of rehabbing that horrible injury. That could gives us a real set of starters, with some experience, size, and/or innate talent. If you look at all the JC DLs we've brought in, none of them (beyond Mustafa) were great in their first year. But, by their second year starting they were far better, even dominant at times (though, mainly during 2016).

My suggested point is, as it relates to line play, it takes at least a year in the trenches to really be able to battle with the PAC 12 guys. It may take more than that (including a different level of recruits) to be able to battle the really big guys of the SEC. But, if our three younger starters from last year, and Moretti, can be moved forward in their development, we may have a useable OL. (And maybe Lynott's problems were health related or horrible points of focus in coaching.) Once we get to usable OL, we have a fun set of WRs with size and speed. Montez can get the ball downfield with some time and trust in his OL.

Get us a RB and we may really score.

All of which doesn't even factor in the impact of the new OC and HC! I'm feeling a spring ball level of exclamation points brewing!!!!!

(Oh. We only have one TE on the roster who understands football at this point. Hmm.. I take back two exclamation points. OH! We should get Poploski back! Ok. Add one more exclamation point back!)
Careful on Moretti expectations. There is one, maybe two, players on that line.

2 years, but that first one was sort of magical. He has kids. The 2nd year there does not hurt your market Value and a little patience can pay off.

Very excited to have him!!!

Back