What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jay Johnson - OC/QBs for your Colorado Buffaloes

Careful on Moretti expectations. There is one, maybe two, players on that line.

Based on current roster, who would the 5 on the OL? From L to R, Sherman, Moretti, Pursell, Lynott, Haigler?

That's okay, but having the same 2 on the right side of the line as last year seems questionable. Especially since both are seniors and this should be a chance to develop some of this so-called good young OL talent.

Based on current roster, who would the 5 on the OL? From L to R, Sherman, Moretti, Pursell, Lynott, Haigler?

That's okay, but having the same 2 on the right side of the line as last year seems questionable. Especially since both are seniors and this should be a chance to develop some of this so-called good young OL talent.
Yikes.

I like the idea of using Montez's size in the QB running game but my biggest concern is that can Montez take all those licks over the course of the season? I'm sure I'm not the only one who saw Montez a little woozy on the sidelines at times after some hard licks over the last few seasons.

I'm sure some of you still play NCAA Football 14 and I think it would be cool to check out Louisiana Lafayette's playbook & team at the time.
Montez can definitely take the licks, he's built for it. Question is, does he want to? I'm not convinced he's as tough as we seem to give him credit for. Put 15 pounds of Lytle in the offseason and make him the starter. Yeah, I said it.

Montez can definitely take the licks, he's built for it. Question is, does he want to? I'm not convinced he's as tough as we seem to give him credit for. Put 15 pounds of Lytle in the offseason and make him the starter. Yeah, I said it.
challenging Montez' toughness is a bad look. Did you even watch the Nebraska game?

I am not convinced Montez will be the starter next year.
Who knows with this new O?
Who is the best athlete out of our QBs?
I believe all were considered Pro type QBs, who among them would be the best dual threat?

Just looked at the CU roster and all QBs except Goldin are 220+ pounds. If they can run, I think they could play in this offense as long as they limit mistakes.

This reminds me of playing in the spread option playbook in NCAA Football 14 and having four or even five QBs rotate in and out. And they were all more durable than a Cornhusker QB.

That's a big pile of poop you are standing next to. He gets rattled, but he is tough.
Agreed, and if the statements that the opposing defenses were correctly calling out our play prior to the snap, then he really was under ungodly pressure. It looks so easy from the (sidelines, barcalounger, stands, bar stool) etc.

montez is plenty tough. he spent most of the second half of the season running for his life. that rattles pro qbs, so i wouldn't be surprised that he looked "rattled" at times. that isn't a toughness issue. his running style is very upright and he's had to learn to slide. he's not a guy who can convert to rb when he takes off. there aren't many of those guys out there. and, no, assuming he stays healthy, there won't be another starting qb next year. we're going to win games next year with a core of montez, kd, and viska. the question is how much pop we can get from this staff beyond that core, right away. the core is the core, however.

I cant imagine Haigler not starting. Not great but 5th year SR with a lot of experience. Right or not I'd be shocked if he doesnt start Game 1
I'm happy to see Haigler starting at OT if he gets up to 310 this offseason and the silliness of building him up like an oversized TE is over. Then they play him at OG? WTF is that for a guy with his build?

As for the OL, this is one coaching hire I'm looking forward to. As for the CU OL, just lock them in a Golden Corral and we'll have some beef for some change.

As for the OL, this is one coaching hire I'm looking forward to. As for the CU OL, just lock them in a Golden Corral and we'll have some beef for some change.
Wait a minute, is Casa Bonita second string now? How about Country Barfay? Can we get some direction here?

I'm happy to see Haigler starting at OT if he gets up to 310 this offseason and the silliness of building him up like an oversized TE is over. Then they play him at OG? WTF is that for a guy with his build?
So if the talk was true that MM intentionally wanted the lighter and more athletic OL, then I'd imagine they were all on some kind of diet and training program to keep them that way, no? If so, will MT let them eat and change up that group's training regimen in order to add some size? As an entire position group last year, they averaged about 280 lbs (292ish for the 6 guys who mostly played). That's pathetic for a P5 OL group. Let the boys eat and train like their job is to physically move other 300+ lb men who don't want to be moved. It shouldn't be hard to get every one of these guys at or above 300 lbs.

They definitely wanted lighter ol. I think the thinking was that they would have better endurance and movement in the go fast offense. Even if you buy that premise and I do not, then there is still a huge difference between a frosh and a grown ass 5th year man who has been through a full s and c program. We started 3 frosh at various times this year. No one could win consistently behind a line that young. You have to have a pipeline and a program that tries to get your most physically mature athletes on the o line. And my philosophical beef with starting with smaller guys is that they don’t have the frame to grow into a Nate Solder in year 3 or so.

And lastly a good ol sets the tone for an entire offense. If they are mean and play like they want to win their 1:1 every play then the whole offense plays tougher. And defenses quit when they are getting smacked like that every play.

Other uptempo teams have figured all this out. I am hoping now we will see it. Add in the altitude at home and a great o line can be the very foundation of our return to greatness.

Wait a minute, is Casa Bonita second string now? How about Country Barfay? Can we get some direction here?

I think you have a point here...the OL's performance this season earned them an all expenses paid trip to Casa Bonita.

I'm cool with having an athletic o-line approach, I just don't think you have to dip down into the 280 range to get it. I see guys now that are all over 315+ that are athletic. The Broncos o-line was smaller, but they were very ****ing good. Not to mention they had one of the best Qb's ever, famers in TD and Sharpe, and pretty sure Zimmerman is a famer as well. I know it was the NFL, but it reminds me of it. I remember them saying Denver couldn't hang with Gilbert Brown, poor bastard couldn't hardly move as the game went on. It isn't the same game anymore. I'd rather get beat because they aren't athletic enough instead of getting our ass whipped because we have no size. You can't run an offense when the D-line is having a picnic in your backfield every damn play, I don't give a **** what you try to run.

With a Power Pistol offense, we need way bigger OL and they need to know how to run block first, and if we have good play action and other smart play design, we will be fine. I would actually dare I say slow down our offense and only go tempo when you feel the moment is right with momentum. When we play Nebraska this next year, we need to run them out of Folsom and not give them the ball very often. Long slow steady powerful drives, but if Viska, KD, or Arias can get behind them, let it fly.

Back