What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jim Leavitt hired as new Colorado DC

Certainly a better hire than Utah or Wazzu made. Next step is to start beating them on the field and then beating them in recruiting.

Leavitt may do a good enough job to get looks as a college HC even as he approaches 60. One thing I can see because of his long affiliation with Bill Snyder is returning to K State as an experienced coach to succeed Snyder when the master finally decides to retire. It's a much safer hire than the gamble they took the last time this happened.

Isn't it hilarious that Vanderbilt of all schools is our Achilles for Mac.

Yes, bit he would probably jump for any SEC school but that one makes the most sense since I don't see him being appealing to any other school other than maybe ****ty Kentucky.

He has got to win here first but I have believed he will. Last week proved he wants to do what it takes to win. Pulled a schollie from a kid that wasn't good enough and told another his grades were not worth his time. The giant leap of improvement by getting rid of a friend and replacing him with a big time hire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My question is what defense does he run or does he run multiple defensive front. A 5-2 isn't working in today's game. He became a 4-3 guy and his defenses had best results there. Coached LBs in a 3-4 but it wasn't his defense and he also had 2 All Pros. I don't see the depth to have 4 quality LBs esp when we run Nickel 70% of time.

My question is what defense does he run or does he run multiple defensive front. A 5-2 isn't working in today's game. He became a 4-3 guy and his defenses had best results there. Coached LBs in a 3-4 but it wasn't his defense and he also had 2 All Pros. I don't see the depth to have 4 quality LBs esp when we run Nickel 70% of time.

He runs a 1 - 10

Didn't Pendergast run a 5-2?

Today's 5-2 isn't what you're thinking it is. It's basically a 3-4 or a 3-3-5 with the front 7 pressed to the line, one-gap responsibilities in the run game, and a well-disguised coverage & blitz.

It is not a 5-man DL with 2 LBs.

The little runt has not only NOT disappeared, but he seems to be trying his level best to take credit for the positive moves that have been made.

I dunno, maybe he does deserve some credit for getting RG here and staying out if his way. Maybe he learned his lesson with the micromanaging of Mike Bohn. It still annoys me how he tries to take credit for turning around a department that he helped bury in the first place.

A politician who at sometime when we least expect it, will again screw the AD in the keister. He needs to be gone like yesterday.

Today's 5-2 isn't what you're thinking it is. It's basically a 3-4 or a 3-3-5 with the front 7 pressed to the line, one-gap responsibilities in the run game, and a well-disguised coverage & blitz.

If that's the case I'm kind of excited to see how someone talented but untested like Markeis Reed might be used. I'd assume that they could make use of some of these tweener LB/DE guys in that case. I'm not an X's and O's expert, but it sounds like this defensive alignment would fit our personnel.

He runs a 1 - 10

Worked for Joe Morrison at UNMex! He'd have one man down and everybody else standing upright, ready to blitz and Joe would bring any number, including the house---all ten---to blitz at any time. It drove Lavell Edwards and BYU to distraction!

The man passed way too early.

TheOSU used the 3-3-5 to beat Oregon for most of that recent game.

Would love to see Adam or Ringo or somebody do a get to know you piece with Leavitt.....Still stoked with this hire. Definitely seems like the type of coach who can make the difference in games like Oregon State and Cal (even though we don't play them in 15).

TheOSU used the 3-3-5 to beat Oregon for most of that recent game.

3-3-5 is tough because it breaks a lot of the blocking rules that applies to 3-4 and 4-3 fronts. it creates hesitation and indecsion in the Oline. what's not to like?

The little runt has not only NOT disappeared, but he seems to be trying his level best to take credit for the positive moves that have been made.

I dunno, maybe he does deserve some credit for getting RG here and staying out if his way. Maybe he learned his lesson with the micromanaging of Mike Bohn. It still annoys me how he tries to take credit for turning around a department that he helped bury in the first place.

Unfortunately, you are probably right. The little pissant and his stupid grin will probably be front and center trying to take credit for anything good happening with the football program.

go watch the highlights of the 2001 Nub-CU game....that should inspire all of us. What a game....

Better yet, go watch the highlights of the 1986, "20-10" whupping of the Nubs....far more inspiring, since it marked the first Mac's turnaround. First time in 20 years the Buffs won against the Fuskers. (There also NO Vince Okruch to "F" up and almost allow a UkN comeback in that '86 game!)

I don't believe that I have commented on JL's motives for coming to CU. Thanks for letting me know what I think, though.
Anytime. :thumbsup: My point is not what you think his motives are, it is that you do not believe Mac is going to or can get it turned around and, by extension, you do not believe that CU is a good opportunity. Isn't that what you think?

Last edited:
I suppose it's possible Leavitt might become CU's next HC.

There are 2 bona fide HC caliber coaches on the sideline in Boulder. I hope both MM and JL can keep their egos in check and have a productive relationship.

Having Leavitt on staff doesn't only provide an upgrade as DC, he also assumes the mantle of heir apparent.

The thing is, both MM and JL would be in line for a bigger, P5 HC gigs, IF they get this thing turned around. CU would probably want to keep one. Which one is the question and would either of them be willing to stay with other, bigger program offers on the table?

Btw, not to rain on everyone's parade, but don't you think all this talk is extremely premature. I believe JL can really help turn this defense around, but I still think talent trumps everything, and CU is still lacking in that department compared to other Pac 12 schools. I think CU will be competing for a bowl game late in the '15 season, but to seriously be considered for an SEC/other big time P5 head coaching position, MM and JL will have to get CU back to top 25 status or close to it. Thoughts?

The thing is, both MM and JL would be in line for a bigger, P5 HC gigs, IF they get this thing turned around. CU would probably want to keep one. Which one is the question and would either of them be willing to stay with other, bigger program offers on the table?

Btw, not to rain on everyone's parade, but don't you think all this talk is extremely premature. I believe JL can really help turn this defense around, but I still think talent trumps everything, and CU is still lacking in that department compared to other Pac 12 schools. I think CU will be competing for a bowl game late in the '15 season, but to seriously be considered for an SEC/other big time P5 head coaching position, MM and JL will have to get CU back to top 25 status or close to it. Thoughts?

I can count on one hand a school, MikeMac would leave us for.

I think that the reason people are upbeat is that we were finally given a big helping of hope.

Yes, I think talk of anyone on this staff getting SEC HC offers coming off a 2-10 season is very premature. Let's see some wins before we worry about anyone leaving for better jobs.

Better yet, go watch the highlights of the 1986, "20-10" whupping of the Nubs....far more inspiring, since it marked the first Mac's turnaround. First time in 20 years the Buffs won against the Fuskers. (There also NO Vince Okruch to "F" up and almost allow a UkN comeback in that '86 game!)

i was at the 1986 game....was incredible. Best part was when we rushed the field and brought down the goalposts. Still cannot believe that nobody was seriously hurt. Back then, the goalpost did not come down easily. When it came down, some of our drunken brethren fell on their backs with the full weight of the post on top of them.

I think that the reason people are upbeat is that we were finally given a big helping of hope.

I love the hire and am very optimistic for CU's future. With that said, we went from talking about CU's incompetence in hiring a DC and Asst Coach to how we're going to be good enough in the next 2 years for MM and/or JL to be hired away to a big time program. Realistically, it's going to take 8-9 wins in a season, a top 25 ranking and contention for a P12 Championship birth for either of them to garner that sort of attention from a top program. Is it possible in 2 years? Yes. Is it likely? No. Would love for that to be the only problem we're discussing on these boards, though!

I love the hire and am very optimistic for CU's future. With that said, we went from talking about CU's incompetence in hiring a DC and Asst Coach to how we're going to be good enough in the next 2 years for MM and/or JL to be hired away to a big time program. Realistically, it's going to take 8-9 wins in a season, a top 25 ranking and contention for a P12 Championship birth for either of them to garner that sort of attention from a top program. Is it possible in 2 years? Yes. Is it likely? No. Would love for that to be the only problem we're discussing on these boards, though!
You may be right but I am not sure. With as bad as we were, getting us to a bowl game within a few years of being one of the worst teams in Division one would certainly get attention for both of them. And especially for a DC, they don't deliver wins as much as they deliver strong defenses, so if Leavitt turns us from a 100 plus something in the nation on defense to top 50 within a few years, even without 9 win seasons, he could be hired away easily, especially given his proven success at all levels.

Think about this: Sparkles was 10-2 with a Mountain West team and got hired to run one of the most storied programs in the SEC after just 3 years at CSU

You may be right but I am not sure. With as bad as we were, getting us to a bowl game within a few years of being one of the worst teams in Division one would certainly get attention for both of them. And especially for a DC, they don't deliver wins as much as they deliver strong defenses, so if Leavitt turns us from a 100 plus something in the nation on defense to top 50 within a few years, even without 9 win seasons, he could be hired away easily, especially given his proven success at all levels.

Think about this: Sparkles was 10-2 with a Mountain West team and got hired to run one of the most storied programs in the SEC after just 3 years at CSU

McElwain had strong SEC ties, though, but I see your point. I guess my point is that, while I love the hire of JL and believe it's legitimate cause for optimism, I think we all need to pump the brakes a little. I think we'll be successful with this staff, in time, but nothing is guaranteed in the Pac 12 and with our home/away conference schedule in '15 and the fact that it's going to take 7 wins to make a bowl game, expectations need to be tempered, IMO.

McElwain had strong SEC ties, though, but I see your point. I guess my point is that, while I love the hire of JL and believe it's legitimate cause for optimism, I think we all need to pump the brakes a little. I think we'll be successful with this staff, in time, but nothing is guaranteed in the Pac 12 and with our home/away conference schedule in '15 and the fact that it's going to take 7 wins to make a bowl game, expectations need to be tempered, IMO.
Agreed (although JL and HCMM also have good ties to the Southeast). But I was one of the more cautious ABers when we polled projected victories this year. I went with 6. I doubt we lose either one with a 6 win season. But if we go bowling in 2016 all bets are off.

In the isn't it ironic category, I was just watching an ESPN story on how Harbaugh said yesterday he was pushed out of the 49ers and that it wasn't mutual. I was thinking about how we should be grateful SF did that b/c it made JL available and also recalling that it was Harbaugh's move to Michigan that ensured we had no chance at Durkin (and despite others here saying otherwise, Rivals has reported we had a legit shot at Durkin until that happened).

Maybe someone else has said this in the 22 page thread and I missed it but in the end Harbaugh's departure led to us losing Durkin but having a chance at JL. I'll take that.

Back