What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Joe Mixon Video Released

Easy for you to say what you would do if someone had their hands on throat compared to what you actually done.

Agree with Mixon defending himself. If she didn't put her hands on his throat and yet he struck her like that, I don't think Mixon would have been at OU. The other cases of pro football players striking their spouses didn't have the spouse trying to strangle the pro football player so you couldn't use any defensive claims in that case.

Mixon could have used other ways to get away from that woman but you cannot defend that woman at all for putting her hands on Mixon's throat. I agree that men shouldn't strike women but that ideal shouldn't fly when the woman have her hands on the man's throat. Hands on the throat is an express way to show that you do intend to cause harm to that person. Mixon didn't have to break her jaw but she was asking for it when she put her hands on MIxon's throat no matter what anyone thinks.

Mixon paid the price by being barred from all football activities for one year at OU despite defending himself. Just compare that to what Lawerence Phillips did while at Nebraska which was worse.
Go take a nap on the light rail tracks.

Easy for you to say what you would do if someone had their hands on throat compared to what you actually done.

I've stayed out of this conversation but I can't anymore. This is just false. He had no reason to throw that punch. There are plenty of ways to diffuse the situation when you have the size and strength advantage that he had. I've been in a few situations where someone had their hands around my throat in a much more threatening way than this video shows and was easily able to diffuse without throwing a punch like that. No excuse on his part. You just don't need to react like he did from what the video shows.

Agree with Mixon defending himself. If she didn't put her hands on his throat and yet he struck her like that, I don't think Mixon would have been at OU. The other cases of pro football players striking their spouses didn't have the spouse trying to strangle the pro football player so you couldn't use any defensive claims in that case.

Mixon could have used other ways to get away from that woman but you cannot defend that woman at all for putting her hands on Mixon's throat. I agree that men shouldn't strike women but that ideal shouldn't fly when the woman have her hands on the man's throat. Hands on the throat is an express way to show that you do intend to cause harm to that person. Mixon didn't have to break her jaw but she was asking for it when she put her hands on MIxon's throat no matter what anyone thinks.

Mixon paid the price by being barred from all football activities for one year at OU despite defending himself. Just compare that to what Lawerence Phillips did while at Nebraska which was worse.

She was no threat to Mixon and you are kidding yourself if you say otherwise. There was seriously no chance she was going to cause him serious harm. She did not handle the situation appropriately, but Mixon had every opportunity to leave the situation. Hell, he actually faked a punch before delivering the big punch.

And give me a ****ing break on "Mixon paid the price" because he was suspended his freshman year. Comparing it to Lawrence Phillips is irrelevant.

d774561d1c7f64f923614e74e0f8f37e.jpg

She was no threat to Mixon and you are kidding yourself if you say otherwise. There was seriously no chance she was going to cause him serious harm. She did not handle the situation appropriately, but Mixon had every opportunity to leave the situation. Hell, he actually faked a punch before delivering the big punch.

And give me a ****ing break on "Mixon paid the price" because he was suspended his freshman year. Comparing it to Lawrence Phillips is irrelevant.

This, and this again.

I have seen some situations where a woman could be a threat to a man. If she has a weapon like a knife then you might say she is a threat. If it is a large, athletic woman and a smaller man or something similar then you might consider it.

This isn't that case. She is an average sized young woman, doubt she is over 150lbs. He is a highly trained athlete around 200lbs. He is used to brushing off tackles from 250lb plus men, don't tell me that he can't remove her hands from his neck without striking her and knocking her to the floor.

More simply he very clearly had the option and the ability to leave the situation. She may have provoked him, she may have used the most vile, disgusting words and said the most hurtful things to him but a man has the option of leaving the situation.

Short of a clear and imminent danger a man does not do physical harm to a woman (or a child, or anyone else who is not a comparable match to him.) He finds a way to leave the situation and avoid it in the future.

Last edited:
Yea, that's bull**** man. Not sure why you are going down this road, but it's disgusting.

What's disgusting is that people in general will say things like "you shouldn't hit a woman because you are a man" while not holding the woman accountable for what she did to Mixon. There is a saying that you should pick on your OWN SIZE.

And yes it is easy to say what you WOULD DO compared to WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS. Call it HEAT OF THE MOMENT. That is why I say it is easy for anyone to say things like that when they have not been faced with that. That applies to everyone in general.

Disagree on comparing it to Phillips which was a domestic violence case. Ray Rice punched his wife out because both were drunk and had arguments before that happened.

There also was no fake punch...you need to re-watch that video. Mixon did try to walk away, she probably said that n-word, Mixon made a threatening move (without a fake punch), then she pushes him before he landed the punch. Yes, Mixon should have walked away but he didn't and now he might not be making as much money as he could have been. That's his loss.

This, and this again.

I have seen some situations where a woman could be a threat to a man. If she has a weapon like a knife then you might say she is a threat. If it is a large, athletic woman and a smaller man or something similar then you might consider it.

This isn't that case. She is an average sized young woman, doubt she is over 150lbs. He is a highly trained athlete around 200lbs. He is used to brushing off tackles from 250lb plus men, don't tell me that he can't remove her hands from his neck without striking her and knocking her to the floor.

More simply he very clearly had the option and the ability to leave the situation. She may have provoked him, she may have used the most vile, disgusting words and said the most hurtful things to him but a man has the option of leaving the situation.

Short of a clear and imminent danger a man does not do physical harm to a woman (or a child, or anyone else who is not a comparable match to him.) He finds a way to leave the situation and avoid it in the future.

I made it clear in this quote that Mixon could have done what the other OU players did and that was leave the area. He did attempt to leave but the woman wasn't finished with him. Did she deserve the punch to the face? Some can say yes and some can say no. I initially thought she had her hands on his throat and re-watched the video a few times. After that, I don't see the need to change my opinion on that.

I had an ex that was 5'6" and 135...that woman certainly is at least 150 pounds. Don't underestimate the ability for a woman to give a good and hard shove. I played basketball against some women on the high school basketball team and despite me being the same size as Mixon at the time, they could bump & push me around. Looking at the weight & height of a woman is the wrong approach in this case. There hasn't been anything said about the victim's athletic background.

Yes and he was so righteous in defending himself that he took off running after knocking the woman out. Give me a break.

Would a black man trust the police from a state like Oklahoma with his life?
Bottom line is that what Mixon did was inexcusable but the same can be applied to the victim. The question is should Mixon have lost his scholarship due to something like that? Especially after OU's players were allowed to skip one spring practice to march and protest racism after those stupid frat boys had that unflattering video of being racists. Now, kicking a player off for being called a n*gger...put your shoes in the OU President's shoes. Just a state away at Mizzou, there were issues with racism. Would kicking Mixon have done more harm than keeping him in this case? There's good reason to believe it would have done so.

The OU President was once the Governor of Oklahoma and was faced with issues as serious as keeping the peace on a college campus. Much more qualified to make those decisions than anyone on any forum like this.

Some people on this forum clearly haven't taken the time to read the Daily Oklahoman articles, and go over the facts before speaking and that goes for myself as well regarding the hands on the throat versus the shove.

No excuse for Mixon's actions, except for a lot of them. You simply cannot make an argument she was any sort of threat to him.

Your argument about the OU President is rather faulty. For one, he would not have been kicked off the team for being called the n-word. He would have been kicked off for causing seriously facial injuries on another person. Let's also not forget he was using derogatory terms that night as well. Additionally, you have to take into account the larger context of OU football seemingly having an indifference to violence against women. Mixon is one of three high profile players in recent years with at least one incident on his record. Shouldn't that be concerning to anyone critically examining the situation?

What's disgusting is that people in general will say things like "you shouldn't hit a woman because you are a man" while not holding the woman accountable for what she did to Mixon. There is a saying that you should pick on your OWN SIZE.

I had an ex that was 5'6" and 135...that woman certainly is at least 150 pounds. Don't underestimate the ability for a woman to give a good and hard shove. I played basketball against some women on the high school basketball team and despite me being the same size as Mixon at the time, they could bump & push me around. Looking at the weight & height of a woman is the wrong approach in this case. There hasn't been anything said about the victim's athletic background.

Bottom line is that what Mixon did was inexcusable but the same can be applied to the victim.

No, and still No.

Holding her accountable does not justify a full grown man punching a woman. I don't care if it's a "good shove" or a grab to the throat, she was not a real threat to him. Real men don't hit women.

If her conduct was inexcusable he had witnesses, file a police report. If she was threatening and racist then file a charge with the university, these are a violation of student conduct rules.

He had options, he choose to ignore those options and hit a woman. I don't know what he has done before and since the incident and if it is isolated it shouldn't be the end of his life but he should be held accountable and continue to be held accountable.

Again outside of extreme circumstances, and this didn't qualify, men don't hit women. Period. There is no way he gets a pass.

Jalapeño, I love your peppers, but this line of reasoning is straight out of the Middle Ages.
Mixon wasn't defending himself. By all accounts, he started the whole confrontation. The girl was in the restaurant and HE walks up to her and starts in on her friend. He started it, he escalated it, and he (unfortunately) ended it. That might make him tough back in whatever neighborhood he comes from. Where I come from, it makes him a spineless punk. Nothing more than a playground bully.

[QUOTE="

Would a black man trust the police from a state like Oklahoma with his life?
Bottom line is that what Mixon did was inexcusable but the same can be applied to the victim. The question is should Mixon have lost his scholarship due to something like that? Especially after OU's players were allowed to skip one spring practice to march and protest racism after those stupid frat boys had that unflattering video of being racists. Now, kicking a player off for being called a n*gger...put your shoes in the OU President's shoes. Just a state away at Mizzou, there were issues with racism. Would kicking Mixon have done more harm than keeping him in this case? There's good reason to believe it would have done so.

The OU President was once the Governor of Oklahoma and was faced with issues as serious as keeping the peace on a college campus. Much more qualified to make those decisions than anyone on any forum like this.

Some people on this forum clearly haven't taken the time to read the Daily Oklahoman articles, and go over the facts before speaking and that goes for myself as well regarding the hands on the throat versus the shove.[/QUOTE]

Yes the OU President is fair and impartial. All the college presidents are, just ask Baylor.

Decent men don't hit women. Period.

If I was coach and he was my player he'd be booted permanently (I think a year suspension is a pretty light sentence for the offense). There is NO place for this behavior in our country, on our campuses, or in our communities. There is simply no excuse. We still fail our women when it comes to protecting them from violence, and it's a disgrace I will continue to advocate to improve for the rest of my life.

Mixon is a disgrace to men everywhere.

@jalepeno you are embarrassing yourself. It's that kind of attitude that you are displaying in your posts that has us where we are as a society with regards to men on women domestic violence and sexual violence (especially on college campuses).

Firstly, violence is not an acceptable response in any social situation where someone is not threatened with serious bodily injury or death. That was not the case here and there is not a way that you will convince anyone here of such.

Secondly, in instances where one party holds a vast disparity of power as compared to the other party, they are completely and 100% responsible for resolving the situation using non-violent means. There is nothing that she could have done to him that would have resulted in anything more major than a couple of scratches, and he's very lucky she didn't hit her head on the table on the way or the ground when she got there and die.

In very nearly all situations, men are in a position of power when we are in a situation with relation to women, and we need to start taking it as OUR responsibility not to hurt women, not theirs to worry about "provoking" us.

When it comes to using physical violence in self defense, I think it's pretty well agreed that a person is justified in using whatever level is necessary to protect him/herself and others (with some leeway on a reasonable margin for "making sure" and allowance for the fact that we don't have perfect aim or perfect control over the physics).

But it seems like some people don't understand reasonable force. They seem to think that once it becomes a physical situation, that's license to deliver whatever degree of beatdown the defender wants to administer. And that thinking needs to be corrected.

As an OU alum I am disappointed that Mixon was and is allowed to represent my university. He was convicted of a misdemeanor and like all individuals convicted of similar charges, should be able to salvage himself. But, his reclamation project doesn't need to be at Oklahoma or another D1 school or on a football field for that matter.

I think the AD and Stoops needed to be as concerned with the University as they were with wins and losses. Seriously, what were they thinking? OU has no shortage of talented football players to fill the roster, why reward this kind of person? What message did that send to the team and the community?

I am proud of the education I received from OU and of my time at the school but seriously pissed that Mixon is the image now associated with my university.

As an OU alum I am disappointed that Mixon was and is allowed to represent my university. He was convicted of a misdemeanor and like all individuals convicted of similar charges, should be able to salvage himself. But, his reclamation project doesn't need to be at Oklahoma or another D1 school or on a football field for that matter.

I think the AD and Stoops needed to be as concerned with the University as they were with wins and losses. Seriously, what were they thinking? OU has no shortage of talented football players to fill the roster, why reward this kind of person? What message did that send to the team and the community?

I am proud of the education I received from OU and of my time at the school but seriously pissed that Mixon is the image now associated with my university.

^This

Seems like he is sorry and that he grew from this. But I think that part of the message to your football team with violence against women is "zero tolerance policy" and that growth will need to happen somewhere else.

That girl could barely stand before Mixon dropped her. **** Mixon (and bailer).

Have not watched till just now, because this kind of crap infuriates me. What a ****ing loser. Someone else should have kicked his ass right then? If not? as soon as a teammate or friend of hers did see it, they should have gone to him and kicked his ass. He should not be allowed to play college ball on scholarship.

Waitwaitwaitwait.

This guy is allowed to play in the Sugar Bowl right now?

**** Oklahoma and Bob Stoops, forever.

Back