What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jordan Webb named as starter - Confirmed

Naming a starter now gives us the best chance to succeed. No matter who it was. The O-Line needs to get used to a cadence. The skill players need to get used to a certain tone in the hudle. Football players love routine. Thrive when as many things as possible stay the same. Get QB1 in there for as many reps as possible and get everyone on the same page. That way nothing is a suprise come 9/1.

The fact it is Webb is a double edged sword. He learned the offense quick enough to take the reigns from players that have been here for years. He has shown a leadership and enough skill to execute the offense to a satisfactory level for the coaches. But he is limited physically. He has not had good stats through college, albeit on a god awful Kansas team. Have to trust our NFL-experienced coaches know what they are looking for. Our QB coach sent TH to the league. With a 3-10 season. They are doing something right.

Prove 'em wrong Jordan, Congrats and good luck.

#shouldertoshoulder

Arrived on campus for spring of 2009... A four-year letterwinner at Union HS... Was a two-time all-state first team selection at QB... Ranked as the 13th-best player in the St. Louis metro area by the St. Louis Post Dispatch... As a sophomore he was all-state second team... As a senior he threw for 3,100 yards and 31 touchdowns while rushing for 1,024 yards and 24 touchdowns... Team was 11-1 advancing to the state sectionals... As a junior he threw for 3,832 yards and 46 touchdowns... Played basketball and earned all-conference honors as a sophomore

Now I am not trying to insuate that high school stats directly relate to college success because we all no they don't. However from a strictly physical standpoint, he appears to have the tools and the ability to be a competent QB. Maybe not stellar, but before all the gloom and doom, let's give him a shot. I guarantee if we are down at half against the lambs by more than 1 score, embo will not hesitate to pull him. Give him a shot folks

The doom and gloom on Webb is overboard considering he hasn't taken a snap for the Buffs yet. This is a guy who played for a **** team and still managed 13TDs and 64% completion rate and solid improvement over his freshman campaign. Believe it or not, players also tend to make prime improvement between their Sophomore and Junior seasons. I think Webb is a guy who can manage this young team, prove to be a pleasant surprise at QB (he wasn't a poorly rated recruit out of HS, remember. A decent 3*) and can potentially lead the Buffs to the bowl game. Stop the panic parade and give this guy a chance. Just because Wood didn't win the job doesn't mean he's a complete lost cause, either. 19 games of starting experience at the college level means a lot, especially when we're a team in dire need of an experienced field general on the offensive side of the ball. Webb's experience could prove crucial in providing composure to get us out of places like Fresno and Pullman with vital road W's.

Give the guy a chance. Just because some clueless KU fan who doesn't know jack**** about football is down on him doesn't mean squat. Their problem was Turner Gill (and that they're KU). Not Jordan Webb.

And, lastly, the height comments are just laughable. Not even worth responding to.

Last edited:
The doom and gloom on Webb is overboard considering he hasn't taken a snap for the Buffs yet. This is a guy who played for a **** team and still managed 13TDs and 64% completion rate and solid improvement over his freshman campaign. Believe it or not, players also tend to make prime improvement between their Sophomore and Junior seasons. I think Webb is a guy who can manage this young team, prove to be a pleasant surprise at QB (he wasn't a poorly rated recruit out of HS, remember. A decent 3*) and can potentially lead the Buffs to the bowl game. Stop the panic parade and give this guy a chance. Just because Wood didn't win the job doesn't mean he's a complete lost cause, either. 19 games of starting experience at the college level means a lot, especially when we're a team in dire need of an experienced field general on the offensive side of the ball. Webb's experience could prove crucial in providing composure to get us out of places like Fresno and Pullman with vital road W's.

Give the guy a chance. Just because some clueless KU fan who doesn't know jack**** about football is down on him doesn't mean squat. Their problem was Turner Gill (and that they're KU). Not Jordan Webb.

And, lastly, the height comments are just laughable. Not even worth responding to.

Okay, I had a lot more written out, but I accidently closed my window. The jist of the points I was making was that (1) a lot of people are giving him the doubt, not being critical of him,(2) our head coach has not proven himself to be much better than Gill, (3) our QB position coach did an okay job, (4) completion percentages mean jack squat, and (5) we don't know if we have a better team.

(1) Go look back at the comments and count the comments that are critical of Webb and the ones saying he hasn't even played yet, he was on a bad team, etc. Only a few that are critical of him and a few dissapointed in Wood.

(2) Turner Gill did a decent job at Buffalo, where they had be downright horrible. He turned them into a half decent program. He failed at Kansas. His first year in Kansas is not much different than Embree's in Colorado. Let's see how things play out before we say we have a better staff. If Embree loses to CSU, it's probably over for him.

(3) Hansen was probably going to improve at least somewhat. I think Scherer did a pretty good job, but Hansen was really only the 8th or 9th best QB in the PAC-12. The difference between him and the next guy is pretty large too. He was really only better than the underclassmen on a few bad teams.

(4) If you think Scherer did a good job, what did you base it off? It couldn't have been completion percent because Hansen's completion percentage actually went down, and by quite a bit. I'd take the 2011 Hansen over the 2010 Hansen any day. Also, you put up the 13 TD's. I have no idea why you do that. 13 TD's is horrible.

(5) Look at our WR's. Just look at them and pretend they play for some other team. I have no idea how you think Spruce, Gerald and Jefferey Thomas, McCollah, and Canty are any better than Kansas's wideouts. McCollah and Canty didn't do much. As for the the rest, they're unknowns. Just pretend you saw the line-up from Oregon State or something. Would 2 Freshmen, 1 RS-Freshmen, McCollah (10 catches), and Canty (14 catches) scare you? Wouldn't scare me the slightest. Onto the O-line. I have zero faith that it'll be any better than last year's or any other year's. Why would I? Go back and look at how dumb we sound this time of year talking about how the O-line is finally gelling, how we're gonna run the ball a lot this year,etc. It's embarrassing. I really doubt Kansas' O-line is much worse than ours, because honestly, if it were, Webb wouldn't be alive to be our starting QB today.

Go get em Jordan! Get all your reps in, and develop some chemistry and comfort with our offense.

Let's go Buffs. Starting to get amped for the season.

NO one has addressed this yet: what are the odds that Hirsch lasts through camp? Prime transfer risk.

Really, what are his prospects? Why would he transfer, just to play college ball anywhere and get a degree from a worse school? I doubt he has any aspirations of playing beyond college at this point. If he puts forth an effort, Embree will keep him on scholarship and he'll graduate from CU.

The doom and gloom on Webb is overboard considering he hasn't taken a snap for the Buffs yet. This is a guy who played for a **** team and still managed 13TDs and 64% completion rate and solid improvement over his freshman campaign. Believe it or not, players also tend to make prime improvement between their Sophomore and Junior seasons. I think Webb is a guy who can manage this young team, prove to be a pleasant surprise at QB (he wasn't a poorly rated recruit out of HS, remember. A decent 3*) and can potentially lead the Buffs to the bowl game. Stop the panic parade and give this guy a chance. Just because Wood didn't win the job doesn't mean he's a complete lost cause, either. 19 games of starting experience at the college level means a lot, especially when we're a team in dire need of an experienced field general on the offensive side of the ball. Webb's experience could prove crucial in providing composure to get us out of places like Fresno and Pullman with vital road W's. Give the guy a chance. Just because some clueless KU fan who doesn't know jack**** about football is down on him doesn't mean squat. Their problem was Turner Gill (and that they're KU). Not Jordan Webb. And, lastly, the height comments are just laughable. Not even worth responding to.

He also threw 12 picks last year and has thrown as many int's as he has TD's in his 2 years at KU. He may improve as you said and he must be mature and sharp having graduated in 3 years, and I don't think the fact that he left a program like KU necessarily means he isn't a good player. I'm sure he left because he probably realized his days as a starter were done with Weis bringing his boy Crist over to KU and then Heaps will get the job in 2013. My disappointment lies in the fact that Wood wasn't impressive enough to win the job.

Last edited:
I was hoping for Wood to step up but will support Webb since he is now our QB.

Fact is that if we are winning it will be because the QB is spending most of his time handling the ball off in an effective running game and converting passes primarily on third and relatively short. If we have a lot of second and 10s, third and 8s we are in big trouble no matter who the QB is. Those situations require recievers who have the talent to consistently turn nothing into something and we haven't shown we have that yet.

Webb faced that situation at Kansas. Teams knew that Kansas couldn't consistently run the ball. They worked to put them in must pass situations and then controlled the gains and turned the ball over. If the Buffs offense can keep the passing situations into managable distances then Webb should be a better option than Wood or Hirsch would have been. If we are in a lot of long yardage situations Wood's stronger arm gives him an advantage but unless you have an Andrew Luck you don't make a living working in those situations.

tried to tell you leash that connor wood was a spare.....

Looks like you were rigth. Aside from TH's fairly solid season last year, we have been suffering through some pretty poor QB play and even worse coaching under D II. I was hoping Wood somehow slipped through the cracks at UT, but if Webb beat him out, so be it.

FWIW, I think those completion percentage numbers from last season mean next to nothing. The YPA needs to be much better more than anything.

I'm actually happy it takes away a built-in excuse so we can actually start making some judgements about this staff.

New to the board but wow I have never seen such unwarranted pessimism for a guy who has yet to take a meaningful snap. Webb is an unknown factor right now but lets root for the kid and see what he has before you decide he is a bum. Also keep in mind the Buffs are low on talent and picked to finish last in the Pac-12, there are no all-world QB's sitting on the bench that Embree passed over. Finally, IMO a lot of Webb's success this year hinges on if PRich comes back or not. Having a weapon like him on the field is a game changer for any QB and offense.

New to the board but wow I have never seen such unwarranted pessimism for a guy who has yet to take a meaningful snap. Webb is an unknown factor right now but lets root for the kid and see what he has before you decide he is a bum. Also keep in mind the Buffs are low on talent and picked to finish last in the Pac-12, there are no all-world QB's sitting on the bench that Embree passed over. Finally, IMO a lot of Webb's success this year hinges on if PRich comes back or not. Having a weapon like him on the field is a game changer for any QB and offense.

Reasonableness declines in proportion to post count. Enjoy H21's level-headedness while it lasts. :lol:

I'm actually happy it takes away a built-in excuse so we can actually start making some judgements about this staff.
Solid point. I think the honeymoon is over for most of our message board brethren. For me, I am already in the "show me" phase. Used up all their mulligans with that terrific year last year and the torrid recruiting to start this one.

Sounds to me, from the little Embree has said, that Webb is the guy making the plays. I think it is important to make a decision sooner than later.

I'm excited to see Webb on the field and believe he can be a very good quarterback for us. However, I think it is natural that many are disappointed that a highly rated guy like Wood couldn't win the job from a guy who was at practice for two weeks.

I remember watching Webb at KU, he did not particularly concern me. He is a good, experienced D1 caliber QB with BCS level experience. Hirsch, when he has played, hasn't really overwhelmed. He has a nice arm, but didn't look in command of anything. Wood, well, UT 's staff concluded he wasn't the man and buried him on the depth chart. Now CU's staff has taken a pass when there only viable options are a true frosh, the aforementined Hirsch and a transfer from KU who, while serviceable, isn't regarded as a game breaker. I would say Wood probably missed his window. Sad, because on paper, he sounds like he has all the tools. Maybe he will come on later and surprise us all.

Webb will manage the game, complete a lot of passes, and CU will be playing a run first, conservative ball control type of game. If the OL holds out, and the DL and DB's come together, Webb is certainly a good enough QB to manage the team to 6+ W's and a bowl game. I am not surpised by the decision.

Back