What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

Realistically, the next HC is not finding a better WR coach. That is a recruiting position.

I will go out on a limb and say the next HC is not braindead, so they will understand why keeping Chev is a positive.
Again, maybe. The next HC may determine that “better” means someone who hasn’t lobbied the team to support his bid for the head job.

I hope Chev stays, that there’s no bitterness and continues to kick ass on the recruiting trail, but if the new HC decides Chev is not part of his plan for the program I’ll be ok with that as long as he brings in a strong staff that can recruit like crazy.

Sink. That happens all the time! In fact every time! You always have to deal with internal applicants that applied for the job. It’s usually priority one to deal with those folks. Corporate America is nothing like these contracts
Coaching isn’t corporate America. I was drawing a comparison to illustrate how uncomfortable that situation can be - fortunately in college football (unlike corporate America) a coach can bring in his own team if he chooses.

I agree that Chev is likely the best we can get and the next coach will likely know that. I just don't like the idea of RG telling the new coach, alright go ahead and sign whatever staff you want. Except a WR coach, we have one of those and this program revolves him.

I hope everyone plays nice and Chev happily falls in line and the new coach wants to retain him because he's a really good WR coach.

There's also some talk out there by people that think we need to not only keep Chev around, but make him OC again. That one I'm really not on board with

You can’t force staff members on a new head coach, especially when one of those staff members wanted, and didn’t get the head job. Imagine getting a job and being told you had to retain a staff member who applied for your job and didn’t get it.

The right coach should be able to reassure the team with or without Chev.

The right coach should understand human nature and have empathy for the situation the players are in.

Bringing in all new coaches that they didn’t sign up to play for is not smart.

And the new coach might not get the chance to convince some of the new recruits if they come in and fire everyone.

It’s a cutthroat business so you know they’re being low key recruited by other schools right now. If a new coach comes in and fires everyone they might say F it and ask to be released from their LOI.

I agree that Chev is likely the best we can get and the next coach will likely know that. I just don't like the idea of RG telling the new coach, alright go ahead and sign whatever staff you want. Except a WR coach, we have one of those and this program revolves him.

I hope everyone plays nice and Chev happily falls in line and the new coach wants to retain him because he's a really good WR coach.

There's also some talk out there by people that think we need to not only keep Chev around, but make him OC again. That one I'm really not on board with

RG will not do anything of the sort. Just guessing the next coach will be reasonably intelligent and know Chev can be a big asset.

Chev is the one who recruited most of these guys and has been responsible for communicating with them when the last coach bailed a week after signing day.

Bringing in a new coach that has no relationship with them and not maintaining any continuity from the previous staff would be both tone deaf to the situation and incredibly arrogant.

People aren’t video game characters they have feelings and relationships matter. You can’t take that for granted.
You really need to get your facts straight. 247 sports 2020 recruiter rankings, Chiv is #82 with 10 primary recruits. We signed 24.

1581819672570.png

The right coach should understand human nature and have empathy for the situation the players are in.

Bringing in all new coaches that they didn’t sign up to play for is not smart.

And the new coach might not get the chance to convince some of the new recruits if they come in and fire everyone.

It’s a cutthroat business so you know they’re being low key recruited by other schools right now. If a new coach comes in and fires everyone they might say F it and ask to be released from their LOI.
If a new coach needs a former staff member to prevent a mutiny then you hired the wrong guy.

I’m sure the new coach will have plenty of empathy for the difficult situation the players are in but the team is smart enough to know it’s not the new guy’s fault that Tucker bailed on them. You have to give the new coach the freedom to build his own staff. Maybe that means retaining Chev, maybe it doesn’t, but either way you can’t hire coaches based on avoiding transfers - the right staff is more important than a few players long term.

I put it at about 0% chance Chev isn’t a coach here in September. There’s nothing to gain by not retaining him.

It was a swing and a miss for MSU, but UK stepped up both times to keep him in Lexington. He did not turn down a raise. Mel got him a major raise and added job security.

UK got $46 million in SEC TV football money in addition to their huge coffers from BBN donations. They can hang financially to keep someone like Marrow.
Key to their recruiting success in Ohio, along with Stoops legacy.

You really need to get your facts straight. 247 sports 2020 recruiter rankings, Chiv is #82 with 10 primary recruits. We signed 24.

View attachment 34025

And Rivals has him listed in the top 25: https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals-top-25-recruiters-of-2019

Chev is also the recruiting coordinator and the interim coach that has been trying to hold things together with the recruits. He personally recruited the most notable names and has been in contact with everyone.

Do you think Chiv will stay under the new Coach is his role is AC/WR/RC, and they bring a new OC in over him?

Yes, I mean the new coach can interview him and decide for himself but he has no resume to be an OC at this point. But he’s too important of a recruiter and he’s all in on the Buffs. Losing him would be a big mistake, he has the ability to create continuity while the new coach gets settled. He has the ties in multiple states we recruit in and he knows the kids and they love him. There may be a day he demands a bigger role but I think he understands his place.

Although I’ll say Midnight Mel did give him a higher title. We don’t know if that was because he wanted to reward him or keep him happy.

If a new coach needs a former staff member to prevent a mutiny then you hired the wrong guy.

I’m sure the new coach will have plenty of empathy for the difficult situation the players are in but the team is smart enough to know it’s not the new guy’s fault that Tucker bailed on them. You have to give the new coach the freedom to build his own staff. Maybe that means retaining Chev, maybe it doesn’t, but either way you can’t hire coaches based on avoiding transfers - the right staff is more important than a few players long term.

If you’re an elite college prospect that signed and the coach leaves, then a new coach comes in and replaces everyone you’ve developed a relationship with, with completely new people (who you’re not sure where you stand with) you’d be foolish not to consider your options.

Especially, if coaches that previously recruited them are in their ear talking about making a spot for them.

If you’re an elite college prospect that signed and the coach leaves, then a new coach comes in and replaces everyone you’ve developed a relationship with, with completely new people (who you’re not sure where you stand with) you’d be foolish not to consider your options.

Especially, if coaches that previously recruited them are in their ear talking about making a spot for them.

I'm lost, what are you advocating for?

Let me put it this way, if an elite prospect likes the new HC and his position coach, he is likely to stay. If he doesn’t like the new HC, he is not going to stick around just because he likes Chev.

I'm lost, what are you advocating for?

I’m not advocating for anything I’m just being realistic about the situation because I think people are being naive about it.

I’ve left companies that were bought by another company that promptly engaged in mass layoffs and replaced them with their people because I didn’t like the change—and I didn’t have millions of dollars at stake if I was successful.

My point is simply that what the next coach does with the remaining staff matters and will impact the retention of players.

Let me put it this way, if an elite prospect likes the new HC and his position coach, he is likely to stay. If he doesn’t like the new HC, he is not going to stick around just because he likes Chev.

Again, he might not bother to get to know the new coach if his first act is to fire everyone.

Again, he might not bother to get to know the new coach if his first act is to fire everyone.
Risk you take with every coaching hire. You hire the best coach you can, let him choose the best staff he can, and then recruit the existing roster first. You don’t force retention on a head coach.

He was the primary recruiter on ten players. But he’s also the CU recruiting coordinator. Look up what that means.
Lol, so now you're saying he recruited everybody? What is it, fanboi, most, all, or 42% (the real number, the one his recruiter ranking is based on)?

Well, I guess the reports that Tucker is getting rid of ALL of the previous staff is false.....

"Michigan State: Defensive staff members Mike Tressel and Ron Burton are being retained. Tressel served as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach last season while Burton worked with the defensive tackles. Their specific roles have not been announced. "

"Michigan State: According to multiple reports, defensive tackles coach Ron Burton has decided not to leave for Indiana and it appears that he will remain in East Lansing. Zach Osterman and Matt Charbonuea were among the first to share the news. "

Well, I guess the reports that Tucker is getting rid of ALL of the previous staff is false.....

"Michigan State: Defensive staff members Mike Tressel and Ron Burton are being retained. Tressel served as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach last season while Burton worked with the defensive tackles. Their specific roles have not been announced. "

"Michigan State: According to multiple reports, defensive tackles coach Ron Burton has decided not to leave for Indiana and it appears that he will remain in East Lansing. Zach Osterman and Matt Charbonuea were among the first to share the news. "
Sometimes a new coach will fire the existing staff and interview everyone for a role on the new staff.

When Tad Boyle was hired, there were several players who wanted (Dunlap?) hired instead. One of those players was a kid named Alec Burks. Maybe some of you have heard of him. Boyle said the first thing he had to do was recruit the players (namely, Burks) that were already on the team. Point being, this **** happens all the time, and if the new guy - whoever that may be - is worth much, he will make it his priority to recruit the players that are already on the team. RG needs to hire the best coach he can and not be concerned about who the current players want.

Back