What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

This would be interesting to dive deeper into. My friends dad knows him well and from what I’ve heard he is a very high energy, no BS kind of guy.

Very high energy is a good way to describe him. Can only speak of what I saw in Miami. Seemed to immediately gain the respect and attention of his team. Players loved playing for him. Bunch of them were upset when he didn't get the full time gig.

RG has a business to run. It does him no good to drag anyone down, no matter the truth.
Exactly this. Even if the bridge is burning, no need to pour gas on it. Prospective candidates don't want their potential new boss acting like that.

Chev is a good WR coach, really good recruiter. Failed as OC. Not sure why he would think he deserves to be HC. I can see interim because continuity, but not permanent.
Meh, success as an OC or DC isn't exactly super correlated to success as a HC.

There are lots of examples of position coaches very successfully making the jump to HC (a certain Clemson coach comes to mind).

There are lots of examples of successful coordinators failing as head coaches - I mean, seriously, this list is really long.

Basically, I don't think failing as a coordinator/playcaller is a disqualifying characteristic for a HC candidate.

My concerns with Chev, in order:
1. Is he ready yet?
2. Does he have the network/ability/juice to hire rock solid coordinators and high level position coaches?

That's... pretty much it.

Those are big concerns though.

His current twitter antics are calling into question #1, and #2 I (and I think "we") don't really have any direct way of judging.

The man can recruit 17, 18 & 19 year olds; can he recruit 25, 35, 45 and 50 year olds? (Note: in general I think the ability to recruit high schoolers and the ability to recruit adults are much, much more highly correlated than coordinator success and HC success.)

Meh, success as an OC or DC isn't exactly super correlated to success as a HC.

There are lots of examples of position coaches very successfully making the jump to HC (a certain Clemson coach comes to mind).

There are lots of examples of successful coordinators failing as head coaches - I mean, seriously, this list is really long.

Basically, I don't think failing as a coordinator/playcaller is a disqualifying characteristic for a HC candidate.

My concerns with Chev, in order:
1. Is he ready yet?
2. Does he have the network/ability/juice to hire rock solid coordinators and high level position coaches?

That's... pretty much it.

Those are big concerns though.

His current twitter antics are calling into question #1, and #2 I (and I think "we") don't really have any direct way of judging.

The man can recruit 17, 18 & 19 year olds; can he recruit 25, 35, 45 and 50 year olds? (Note: in general I think the ability to recruit high schoolers and the ability to recruit adults are much, much more highly correlated than coordinator success and HC success.)
Sure, you can find examples for anything, obviously they are different, but not unrelated, jobs. But the fact is his responsibilities increased and he wasn't ready to step up. I have zero confidence one more year as WR coach changes that.

From ESPN Insider - USC offensive coordinator Graham Harrell: The 34-year-old Harrell is a rising star who will be on the radar for Power 5 opportunities until he lands one. He spoke with Washington State about its coaching vacancy and could be a good fit for jobs in the Pac-12 and Big 12, where he starred at Texas Tech. His offense and recruiting connections in Texas make him an intriguing candidate for Colorado.

At least this program has shown that they will make this hire and replace any assistance leaving l as quickly as possible to keep this program rolling along... We should have this thing ironed out by the time conference play opens up.

giphy.gif

Chev is a good WR coach, really good recruiter. Failed as OC. Not sure why he would think he deserves to be HC. I can see interim because continuity, but not permanent.

It's an ideal chance for a one year trial, at least. As a Clemson fan, I can attest to the fact that sometimes these situations can work out (Dabo was our WR coach & assistant head coach when Tommy Bowden was fired mid-season). Also, at this point in the cycle it may be your best shot...it's absolutely brutal that this happened to you guys, but you don't want to necessarily force a square peg into a round hole and risk losing the team. With the new transfer rules, in the very least it may be worth it for Chev to be a glue guy. If he fails, you're able to do a proper search for a head coach next year and 2020 is filed as a 'lost year' and nobody would blame you for it. All critics will be correctly looking in Tucker's direction. If he succeeds, then you may have found yourself a long term solution and you can let the momentum roll on. Rushing a new coach into Boulder before Spring practice could have disastrous results (staff leaving, recruits transferring) which could affect the program beyond the 2020 season.

Unless something changes, the only guy I see potentially being worth the risk to hire in the coming weeks is Bieniemy.

I agree with skibum on Chev. I honestly think the guy will be a better head coach than coordinator. Players respect him and he can recruit. That's about a third of the battle of being a good HC. If he has strong coordinators and is good at delegating, I think he has potential to be great. And looking back, he arguably had a better offense as OC with a worse/less experienced roster than JJ did this year. He did a SIGNIFICANTLY better job getting Viska involved, that's undeniable.

Not saying he's one of my top choices, but to translate him having a meh season as an OC statistically = not being a good head coach is wrong.

It's an ideal chance for a one year trial, at least. As a Clemson fan, I can attest to the fact that sometimes these situations can work out (Dabo was our WR coach & assistant head coach when Tommy Bowden was fired mid-season). Also, at this point in the cycle it may be your best shot...it's absolutely brutal that this happened to you guys, but you don't want to necessarily force a square peg into a round hole and risk losing the team. With the new transfer rules, in the very least it may be worth it for Chev to be a glue guy. If he fails, you're able to do a proper search for a head coach next year and 2020 is filed as a 'lost year' and nobody would blame you for it. All critics will be correctly looking in Tucker's direction. If he succeeds, then you may have found yourself a long term solution and you can let the momentum roll on. Rushing a new coach into Boulder before Spring practice could have disastrous results (staff leaving, recruits transferring) which could affect the program beyond the 2020 season.

Unless something changes, the only guy I see potentially being worth the risk to hire in the coming weeks is Bieniemy.

Stop with the interim/one year trial crap. If you want Chev promoted, he deserves the exact same setup Tucker got. We need stability.

I have no problems with Chev being the HC.
Not a flashy hire, but is a great recruiter.
Just need to make sure he has the tools/assistant coaches around him.

Stop with the interim/one year trial crap. If you want Chev promoted, he deserves the exact same setup Tucker got. We need stability.
This.

*IF* you go this way (and I'm still not sold it's a good idea), sign him to a 4-5 year contract with a "preferred employer" buyout structure (RG better not **** this part up, again - no matter who he signs).

Chev is a great recruiter, but does he have the right mindset for what he wants for the program and how to achieve it? One of the things that I liked about Tucker was his experience around elite programs and the biggest stages and he knew exactly the kind of players he needed here. He had physical standards for every position and knew exactly what was needed from a support standpoint. There is no replacement for the vast experience he had being around Ohio State, LSU, Bama and Georgia and seeing how elite programs are run. Chev has been at Texas Tech and CU with only one season under a Head Coach who knew what he was doing.

Last edited:
Back