What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

Stop with the interim/one year trial crap. If you want Chev promoted, he deserves the exact same setup Tucker got. We need stability.
If this were a normal situation I'd agree with you, but this is far from normal and I don't think you're going to get stability right now regardless of what you do. It's not common for a head coach to bail right after Signing Day so I'd almost treat this as if it's a mid season departure. Don't rush into finding a new coach and don't all of a sudden spring a 4-5 contract on someone who was an assistant 24 hours ago. That's not real stability.

Chev is the right choice for many even deeper reasons, such as how long it will take to do the infamous CU Background Checks, winning over the BoR on a new contract, and the fact that if another coach is hired, I am not sure that Chev would even consider staying as an assistant because that it too much risk to his future. He just watched a guy F over his alma mater for $5.5 million bones. He has been loyal and successful at his tasks, give him the shot. I think that Lance Carl is one of the keys to this move, in that he can fill in the Booster Role and mentor Chev on that front, and Barnett is around to Mentor Chev on the other things.

Why the hell is Graham Harrell more qualified or ready than Chev???

Ok, I'm too lazy/busy to read this entire thread, but at least as this pertains to EB...we just got dicked over by a guy 14 months after he was hired. Why would we want to hire a guy this cycle who is already mentioned for every NFL head coach opening? After this, who wants to hire a guy knowing full well that he has eyes on a bigger prize from the get-go? That aside, and I LOVE EB--LOVED him as a 12-yo kid--there are two huge question marks with him: Can he actually recruit? And how much better is he now than he was the first time around--is "his" offense (for which he doesn't call plays) a product of a generational QB or the other way around? How important is Bieniemy to that ship? EB has a very special place in my heart, but I don't trust that he's the guy to entrust to turn around an actively sinking college football program.

Chev is the right choice for many even deeper reasons, such as how long it will take to do the infamous CU Background Checks, winning over the BoR on a new contract, and the fact that if another coach is hired, I am not sure that Chev would even consider staying as an assistant because that it too much risk to his future. He just watched a guy F over his alma mater for $5.5 million bones. He has been loyal and successful at his tasks, give him the shot. I think that Lance Carl is one of the keys to this move, in that he can fill in the Booster Role and mentor Chev on that front, and Barnett is around to Mentor Chev on the other things.

Preach brother.

No interim tag for Coach Chev.

He's been an OC for 4 years? Chev for 1 that didn't go great? He had to work with very young QBs this season. Not saying he's markedly better, but he's an up and comer. He's already been rumored for other jobs including Philadelphia Eagles OC. I've not seen Chev ever rumored for other HC jobs.

He's been an OC for 4 years? Chev for 1 that didn't go great? He had to work with very young QBs this season. Not saying he's markedly better, but he's an up and comer. He's already been rumored for other jobs including Philadelphia Eagles OC. I've not seen Chev ever rumored for other HC jobs.
In order to be mentioned for other jobs, you need to tell your agent and your friends in the business that you WANT TO GET ANOTHER JOB! Harrell is chasing the track that obviously T(f)ucker was trying to go down. I think that Chev has 90% more positives than negatives, and the idea that there is another coach in the country (at this exact time in our program's situation) that can help keep us moving on any type of upward track!

His 1 year as OC was with a terrible OL, and he was the Co-OC. The USC Offensive game plan was to throw the ball up in the air and hope that a game of 500 breaks out.

Harrell is a better coach and offensive mind

My totally doable coaches list:

Tad Boyle -- Just let him coach both basketball and football. He's already here, seems like a no brainier to me.

Fred Folsom -- It's 2020 and you're telling me we can resurrect people yet? I'm calling bull****.

Nick Saban -- He's gotta be on the hot-seat. Didn't even make the CFP playoff last season. Some might say he's in a decline for not making the CFP, but I see right through those lies.

Scott Frost -- We poach him from Nebraska, only to tell him we're not interested moments before signing the contract. While that doesn't solve our head coach problem, I still believe it is a viable option.

Dave Logan's high school assistant coaches -- No, not Dave Logan himself. His high school assistants. Just think about it.

What Harrell did with the QB stable at USC last year was incredible. Considering we have a bunch of guys with no experience he would do wonders. Plus he would probably bring in some big name QB recruits.

Chev keeps RT'ing this type of stuff. Carson Lee's dad

This is extremely bush league on Chev's part. He's not ready for an expanded role in a P5 program. RG will hire a new HC and honestly I don't expect any of the current staff to be retained. Would hope for Kap, but my guess is that he gets a raise and goes with Tucker pretty soon.

The timing bothers me a lot more than the fact that MT is leaving. The timing really screws us.

That might also be the main reason why I'm fairly pessimistic right now and don't really see a good way out of this mess. Being forced into making a hire in mid February is very, very challenging. The only pro I see here is that 2020 class has been signed, sealed and delivered.

He should probably lay low on this, BUT I think this is it for Chev!!! He senses the player's concerns and frustrations and he is likely the only one really fighting for them. Also, I think that if he does not get the job, he will be gone forever. I do not blame him, and it would be a bold move to lock this back in.

1) This is NOT it for Chev.
2) Why do you say that Rick George, Lance Carl, all the other people that work in the AD and the other 10 assistants and lower level coaches are not fighting for the players?
3) Yes, he'll likely be gone.

I don't understand the people who think there will be some sort of negotiation on the buyout. If I'm RG and MSU calls up wanting to negotiate the buyout, I'd ask them if they want to pay more.

There are A LOT of misconceptions out there for some reason.

Granted, he's not employed to report on college things (and ignore the EB thing) but this is one of the top football insiders in the country and he says such things about salvaging a recruiting class that's signed.

(I do with the staff hiring thing tho. That's a very legit concern)

That might also be the main reason why I'm fairly pessimistic right now and don't really see a good way out of this mess. Being forced into making a hire in mid February is very, very challenging. The only pro I see here is that 2020 class has been signed, sealed and delivered.
Not true on Signed, Sealed and Delivered!!! If the wrong coach is hired, or the recruits are not feeling it anymore, they have time to request to be let out of the LOI! Even the early enrolees could bail.

Back