What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

giphy.gif

I can't confirm any job offers but there have been opportunities such as Tennessee. He took himself out of the running for that job and Tennessee is a really good job. I remember reading an article in the Gazette about how much him and his family love living in Colorado but I can't find it. I think staying at AFA for that long after much shorter stays in other places is a pretty good indication as well. As for the option, I found a Q&A article in the Gazette where he talked about having quality skill players which will allow him more flexibility in the offense and that they won't have to completely rely on the option. I think that pretty much backs up what I said.

Their beat writer on twitter said he signed 23 3 star recruits this year. At a service academy, that's pretty good.

The dislike that Calhoun is getting seems a little off in my opinion:
  1. He won't run the option here, but might play some option elements in his offense combined with some West Coast Offense (his time as an NFL OC), combined with some spread principles (Chev). Point being, I would actually expect to see a dynamic, balanced, physical offense.
  2. I understand the concern about recruiting, but think about this: He has upgraded the talent level at AFA significantly during his tenure. Which means he is convincing kids to go to a service academy during a time of war. That isn't a seal of approval on his recruiting, but to me, that means he can sell kids.
Is Calhoun my top choice? HELL no. Do I think he would do a good job here, yes I do. I take him over almost everyone that has been discussed thus far, except for Sark, Wilcox, EB, Grinch, and Nameless Incognito.....and is close to on par with McElwain. If those top names are not interested or excluded because of due diligence findings, I would be okay with Calhoun. I know most people here will not agree with this take, I just think this guy is a very good coach and good coaches adapt. I would fully expect to see that here with Calhoun.

Is it April first?? This has to be a joke. Seriously they RG must have had his plane filled with whacky weed to bring these two candidates here for cu. My goodness every time I look at reports of my beloved buffs I find nothing but a train wreck unfolding before my eyes. Wow!! Can’t be more displeased.

uninspiring but solid. Calhoun outcoached HCMT...big time. I would expect a better team that HCMT fielded..personally. If he keeps Chiv...recruiting should remain as is....and Calhoun will likely stay for the duration.

The dislike that Calhoun is getting seems a little off in my opinion:
  1. He won't run the option here, but might play some option elements in his offense combined with some West Coast Offense (his time as an NFL OC), combined with some spread principles (Chev). Point being, I would actually expect to see a dynamic, balanced, physical offense.
  2. I understand the concern about recruiting, but think about this: He has upgraded the talent level at AFA significantly during his tenure. Which means he is convincing kids to go to a service academy during a time of war. That isn't a seal of approval on his recruiting, but to me, that means he can sell kids.
Is Calhoun my top choice? HELL no. Do I think he would do a good job here, yes I do. I take him over almost everyone that has been discussed thus far, except for Sark, Wilcox, EB, Grinch, and Nameless Incognito.....and is close to on par with McElwain. If those top names are not interested or excluded because of due diligence findings, I would be okay with Calhoun. I know most people here will not agree with this take, I just think this guy is a very good coach and good coaches adapt. I would fully expect to see that here with Calhoun.

The recruiting questions are way too concerning to me. Recruiting at the P5 level is a different animal and I do not see a guy like Calhoun embracing that challenge.

uninspiring but solid. Calhoun outcoached HCMT...big time. I would expect a better team that HCMT fielded..personally. If he keeps Chiv...recruiting should remain as is....and Calhoun will likely stay for the duration.

Recruiting under Calhoun would not remain "as is." It all starts with the HC.

The recruiting questions are way too concerning to me. Recruiting at the P5 level is a different animal and I do not see a guy like Calhoun embracing that challenge.
Fair assessment. I suppose my presumption would be that RG is made comfortable that he would embrace that challenge.

At this point of the search I’m thinking that RG should just take the assistant coaches he has left and operate as an anarcho-syndicalist commune. Each AC can take turns to act as sort of executive officer for the week... All the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting in the off season by a simple majority in the case of purely practice matters, but by a two thirds majority in the case of game planning during the season.

This HC search process is no basis for a selecting leadership for a team. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the players, not from some farcical athletic department process.

Is it April first?? This has to be a joke. Seriously they RG must have had his plane filled with whacky weed to bring these two candidates here for cu. My goodness every time I look at reports of my beloved buffs I find nothing but a train wreck unfolding before my eyes. Wow!! Can’t be more displeased.
Step 1: Stop believing anything you read on FootballScoop until you also see it somewhere else.

At this point of the search I’m thinking that RG should just take the assistant coaches he has left and operate as an anarcho-syndicalist commune. Each AC can take turns to act as sort of executive officer for the week... All the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting in the off season by a simple majority in the case of purely practice matters, but by a two thirds majority in the case of game planning during the season.

This HC search process is no basis for a selecting leadership for a team. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the players, not from some farcical athletic department process.

If I went around claiming I was the new head coach at CU simply because some moistened bint had lobbed a football at me, they'd lock me away!

I'm far more excited by other candidates, but I don't hate the idea of Troy Calhoun. I trust Rick and Lance would do their due diligence on Calhoun's plan to recruit here just like they would on Sparkles' exit at Florida, what happened at Arkansas with Boss Hog, or Sarkisian's off field issues.

Back