What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Larry Scott not happy with Bruce Benson

vector_black-zipper.jpg

Why is it that the ACC is publicly discussing pods and Scott isn't?

Pods will make everyone happy. It gives everyone access to all the recruiting and fundraising grounds. It cuts down on travel expenses. It allows everyone to play everyone more than twice every 8 years. It makes a conference feel like a conference, instead of two semi-conferences. 2-3 mega-conferences pushing for pods and 2-tier conference playoffs will make the NCAA fold like a tent. It seems like a simple solution.

Why is it that the ACC is publicly discussing pods and Scott isn't?

Pods will make everyone happy. It gives everyone access to all the recruiting and fundraising grounds. It cuts down on travel expenses. It allows everyone to play everyone more than twice every 8 years. It makes a conference feel like a conference, instead of two semi-conferences. 2-3 mega-conferences pushing for pods and 2-tier conference playoffs will make the NCAA fold like a tent. It seems like a simple solution.

Scott is. He just has to be careful because of the ingrained politics within the PAC. He did say creative scheduling that gives every team equal access to each of the conference areas. That's code for pods.

If there´s one thing Cal84 has achieved then it´s that this board speaks with one voice. And that´s very rare. Few people have achieved that, Cal84.

If there´s one thing Cal84 has achieved then it´s that this board speaks with one voice. And that´s very rare. Few people have achieved that, Cal84.

Yes, seriously Cal84...thanks, you've been very unifying.

Similarly, the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan provided the incentive for the tribes, ethnicities and villages to set aside their differences to oppose the occupation.

Similarly, the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan provided the incentive for the tribes, ethnicities and villages to set aside their differences to oppose the occupation.
How has the USA avoided this problem Wally? I hear rumblings of a nationalistic uprising.

How has the USA avoided this problem Wally? I hear rumblings of a nationalistic uprising.

Well, I've had to keep my head down for a day-or-two now--it got a little exciting. But despite that, you'll be happy to know that it's a much more isolated resistance the U.S. and erh allies are facing. It's a committed group of Pashtuns, in three different groups, mostly, but much more limited than what the Soviets faced.

We're approaching it a lot differently too.

Look, I don't want Texas to wreck our cool new conference either.

But don't you think we tend to overstate how bad Texas really is? I'm pretty sure that if we just give them Czechoslavakia they will be happy enough to leave the rest of us alone.

Hah - just a little lebensraum?

Well, I've had to keep my head down for a day-or-two now--it got a little exciting. But despite that, you'll be happy to know that it's a much more isolated resistance the U.S. and erh allies are facing. It's a committed group of Pashtuns, in three different groups, mostly, but much more limited than what the Soviets faced.

We're approaching it a lot differently too.
Well, the kill entire villages approach isn't exactly the US's style, so that is good. Glad you are keeping your head down. If you get killed fishing, fish head won't be funny anymore.

Well, the kill entire villages approach isn't exactly the US's style, so that is good. Glad you are keeping your head down. If you get killed fishing, fish head won't be funny anymore.

It might be...it really depends on how I get killed, no?

It might be...it really depends on how I get killed, no?
True, but we probably won't get the details, so will have to make **** up. Given the fishing mission, I figure thats the direction we will go. This is the internet, and allbuffs, and we don't let a lack of detail stop us from creating a narrative.

True, but we probably won't get the details, so will have to make **** up. Given the fishing mission, I figure thats the direction we will go. This is the internet, and allbuffs, and we don't let a lack of detail stop us from creating a narrative.

But I suspect that the narrative will be funny, and therefore fish-head will continue to be funny too.

But I suspect that the narrative will be funny, and therefore fish-head will continue to be funny too.
If Rugged and BP have anything to say, it will still be funny. But they are damned to hell, and I am damned by association. Not sure that is a good thing.

The BearInsider forum has mentioned on several occasions that the Cal fans are not very unified in their opinions.

Cal84's deaf ear to CU's warning about Texas joining the Pac might be part of his master plan to unify the Cal fan base with a strong dose of UT-in-your-conference therapy.

Having Texas in the P12 will focus those disorganized bears against a clear and present aggressor that threatens their way of life.

Allbuffs appear to be taking a page from fmr president Bush when he used the threat of terrorism to unify America.

If we really want to help Cal84 achieve his mission to bringing the Cal fan base together, then we ought encourage the University of Texas to crash their longhorns into our conference.

/sarcasm

Last edited by a moderator:
The BearInsider forum has mentioned on several occasions that the Cal fans are not very unified in their opinions.

Cal84's deaf ear to CU's warning about Texas joining the Pac might be part of his master plan to unify the Cal fan base with a strong dose of UT-in-your-conference therapy.

Having Texas in the P12 will focus those disorganized bears against a clear and present aggressor that threatens their way of life.

Allbuffs appear to be taking a page from fmr president Bush when he used the threat of terrorism to unify America.

If we really want to help the Cal84 in his mission to bring the Cal fan base together, then we ought to be excited about the University of Texas crashing their longhorns into our conference.

/sarcasm
You are doing it wrong.

Your demographic argument fails to explain the success of the SEC. It's missing important business drivers like per viewer spend, quality of consumer experience, television distribution and viewership.

TV distribution? Even rednecks get cable. And you are going to have a tough time arguing that viewership rates are poor in SEC land. It's just a fact that the SEC footprint is 25% bigger by population than the Big12 footprint and that gap grew even larger once it became the Little10.

Mostly, you are missing out on the quality of leadership within the Big 12 conference itself.

Like most people in this country you wind up subscribing to the "One Great Man" theory. Sometimes valid in medieval times, it is increasingly less so as societies get larger and larger. A great B12 commish would have helped that conference, but unlike "great men" who come and go, economic demographics marches on relentlessly. I'm sure you think it's just a coincidence that the "great" conference commissioners belong to conferences with the demographic advantages while buffoon commissioners belong to the conferences without those advantages, right?

Edit: Oh, and I didn't get a MBA from Cal. I got one from a certain expensive, high faluttin' private east coast school. In retrospect the Berkeley degree was more valuable.

TV distribution? Even rednecks get cable. And you are going to have a tough time arguing that viewership rates are poor in SEC land. It's just a fact that the SEC footprint is 25% bigger by population than the Big12 footprint and that gap grew even larger once it became the Little10.

We are still pretty far apart. I must be a poor communicator.

Permit me to clarify that the SEC has fanatic viewership. Their TV viewers are rabid football fans that have large per viewer spend with their universities. These SEC viewers not only subscribing and watching football on TV, they are also attending spring games, buying merchandise, and in some cases, starting their tailgating on the Wednesday before game day and tattooing imagery in support of their teams all over their body. This part of the country is crazy about football, and their support translates into a multi-billion dollar business. If you thought I was diminishing the influence of SEC television sets, you interpreted the exact opposite of where I was going. The SEC is arguably at the epicenter of college football in terms of performance and they were the first BCS conference to unlock network revenue for their member schools that delivered 10 figures.

I am critisizing your ham-fisted correlation between conference viability and population density and economic might. Using your argument, the Big East and ACC should be stronger than they are relative to the SEC. The SEC territory overlaps the ACC and a bunch of smaller conferences. The major city in SEC-land is Atlanta. TV markets drop pretty fast thereafter. You'd have to explain your footprint numbers a little more precisely when comparing the SEC to the B12. For example, are you giving all of Florida and all of South Carolina to the SEC when those states are also heavily influenced by the ACC?

I also don't think your Great Man argument is particularly relevant regarding the role that Dan Beebe played in the B12's demise. Dan Beebe was not a great man in terms of being at the helm of the B12. A Great Man would have done a better job expanding east or west. Expanding with a Louisville or BYU or New Mexico would address some of those growth concerns. More importantly, a strong conference leader would recognize that a conference can only be as strong as it's weakest member.

When some members of a conference are more equal than others, it breeds the type of contempt that accelerates animosity and defection.

The B12's willingness to run a loose affiliation that promotes self-interest ahead of a strong confederation and expansion, then the conference will fail, regardless of the economic demographics.

In summary, you continue to ascribe to economic demographics while ignoring the role of governance.
UT is ungovernable under any sort of confederation. This important point renders your economic/demographic areguemrnt largely immaterial.

Cal fan, although he is losing the argument, has brought up good points. I applaud him, and wonder "what if" the regents had ditched the big 12 in 1994?

I am critisizing your ham-fisted correlation between conference viability and population density and economic might. Using your argument, the Big East and ACC should be stronger than they are relative to the SEC. The SEC territory overlaps the ACC and a bunch of smaller conferences. The major city in SEC-land is Atlanta. TV markets drop pretty fast thereafter. You'd have to explain your footprint numbers a little more precisely when comparing the SEC to the B12. For example, are you giving all of Florida and all of South Carolina to the SEC when those states are also heavily influenced by the ACC?

I also don't think your Great Man argument is particularly relevant regarding the role that Dan Beebe played in the B12's demise. Dan Beebe was not a great man in terms of being at the helm of the B12. A Great Man would have done a better job expanding east or west. Expanding with a Louisville or BYU or New Mexico would address some of those growth concerns. More importantly, a strong conference leader would recognize that a conference can only be as strong as it's weakest member.

When some members of a conference are more equal than others, it breeds the type of contempt that accelerates animosity and defection.

The B12's willingness to run a loose affiliation that promotes self-interest ahead of a strong confederation and expansion, then the conference will fail, regardless of the economic demographics.

In summary, you continue to ascribe to economic demographics while ignoring the role of governance.
UT is ungovernable under any sort of confederation. This important point renders your economic/demographic areguemrnt largely immaterial.

I'm starting to get confused on whether we're talking about college athletic conference realignment or 20th Century European politics and economic game theory...

Back