What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Leavitt to Oregon

I'm beginning to think he took the Whore job because he realized that nobody was going to hire him as a HC so he better earn all the money he can right now.

People are going to have a different opinion here if the D.C. is in fact the guy from MSU and suddenly some of their commits flip.

If all these recruits had not picked up UO offers AFTER Leavitt moved on I don't think anybody would be too upset with him. Besides actively recruiting players that are committed to your former employer is a dick move. Violates some unwritten rules in the coaching community.

why are people upset? This isn't unexpected or in any way abnormal.
I don't know what is normal. What is the "industry standard" for these situations? Is there the old "unwritten rule?" I don't know. I can only go by my "compass."

Here's the rule: "win" and don't get "caught"
This. College football's a funny thing. We'll gladly accept any recruits coming from whomever the new DC is. Unrealistic to think it doesn't work the other way around. We still don't have to like it.

While I think it's unethical, I'm certainly far from "worked up" over it.
Given the way college recruiting works, it would be unethical for a coach to go to a school and not put in the effort to get the best players possible to that school. While it says "committed" next to their name in the recruiting form, no player is committed until they sign a LOI.

Bingo. I am having a hard time getting worked up about Oregon going after our recruits.
If CU loses most of these recruits to Oregon then we have a major issue with the guys replacing Leavitt/Clark. Has nothing to do with Leavitt/Clark. They are leveraging their contacts and see no problem with it. Most of these same recruits are getting offers from other programs as well. Its not just Oregon.

Flattered whoregon wants our recruits. How long has it been since we could say that?!

JL and two-buck-chuck going after them as low hanging recruitIng fruit is still douchebaggery imo

One of the very first comments on this board about the potential MSU DC coming to CU was "Awesome, I hope we can get some of their commits". Those same people have an issue with JL and the Quacks going after CU commits?

Reality is teams go after commits until they sign. Texas and Baylor are busy trying to flip CU's class as are other schools, including USC. JL is being JL, going after recruits that can help his defense and team win and he is a damn good DC who teaches and gets the absolute best out of his players. Bottomline, if CU keeps it's current commits, it is because they did a better job selling and maintaining those relationships. If those commits flip, CU failed.

One of the very first comments on this board about the potential MSU DC coming to CU was "Awesome, I hope we can get some of their commits". Those same people have an issue with JL and the Quacks going after CU commits?

Reality is teams go after commits until they sign. Texas and Baylor are busy trying to flip CU's class as are other schools, including USC. JL is being JL, going after recruits that can help his defense and team win and he is a damn good DC who teaches and gets the absolute best out of his players. Bottomline, if CU keeps it's current commits, it is because they did a better job selling and maintaining those relationships. If those commits flip, CU failed.

Big difference in the fact that JL and clark go to a conference foe and JL trying to poach recruits from cu when he hasn't recruited squat here.

Yes, all are fair game, just slimey way it's going down.

Isn't this how we got Gillam and Awuzie?
Once again it is completely different when a head coach leaves because he brings his staff so those recruits have no connection to that school anymore and could end up not even having an offer at the end of the day.

Big difference in the fact that JL and clark go to a conference foe and JL trying to poach recruits from cu when he hasn't recruited squat here.

Yes, all are fair game, just slimey way it's going down.

Very similar to when Embree and EB went to UCLA. I'm sure GB would have liked to have had Jones-Drew as his RB at CU between '03 and '05, for example. Might have changed some things.

Once again it is completely different when a head coach leaves because he brings his staff so those recruits have no connection to that school anymore and could end up not even having an offer at the end of the day.
Gotcha.

same logic you're applying to the head coach could be applied to a recruits lead recruiter or position coach as well

same logic you're applying to the head coach could be applied to a recruits lead recruiter or position coach as well
Yeah I have stated multiple times I don't have a problem with coaches going after recruits they found and brought into the program but going after guys they have no connection/relationship to is annoying as hell. Leavitt going after Wells, good to go, Leavitt going after Polley or Newman is a **** move.

Addison Gilliam followed MacIntyre from SJSU. Not a lot of tears shed at the time for the Spartans.

Gotta give as much as we get.

When CU picks up the new DC, I'd hope the recruiting relationships that were established at the old school carries over to the Colorado.

And a great sign that the Rise continues to be real is if those new flips are better than recruits that Leavitt and Clark are pulling to Oregon.

For example, it would be forunate to poach USC recruits by hiring away the DC from USC.

The more I think about it, our coaches we have need to do their job and secure commits. Then, get on the ball with assistants. Actually probably at the same damn time.

Back