What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Long-term plan for CU facilities upgrades

The structure itself looks fine but I'm no structural engineer. The internals - plumbing, bathrooms - are what needs obvious work
I thought it was deemed unstable. Not sure where I heard this however.

IMO bring it all down, space on campus is too valuable to keep an empty field house. Even another walking path, connecting Gamow Tower to Boulder Creek Bridge would be better surface use.

What it is to become I don’t know, but it’s gonna have to share an expand stadium capacity and upgraded facilities and I don’t think its necessary to connect to Carlson Gym.

We'd maybe get 10 fans at a swim meet. Add in all the facilities costs, locker rooms, etc. and that's simply not going to happen.

Much more likely are Women's Beach VB and Women's Triathlon. The other that I've heard mentioned is Women's Rugby - with its national organization based in Broomfield and existing facilities we use for Women's Soccer (Prentup) meaning zero cost from that end other than the scholarships and coaches plus a recruiting budget and office space, this sport would be relatively easy to add and could get some support/ sponsorship.

We definitely need Men's Lacrosse. Having a stadium for the Lacrosse programs and an emphasis on CU being great at the sport as our spring feature sport makes all the sense in the world for CU.
There are a lot more ways to generate revenue than just having fans in the stands at a swim meet.
My daughters swim for a local team that produces 2-5 D1 prospects every year.
We go to meets thoughout the year and there are hundreds of kids at every meet, not including parents and we spend thousands of dollars in cities like Austin and Des Moines and Kansas City, etc. Those pools constantly run events and generate a ton of money. Besides hotel and food, we also pay a facility fee for every event and of course we have to buy memorabilia for every school we attend. There's no shortage of revenue and I'm sure CU could have that pool filled throughout the year with local and national tournaments as well as local teams that need better facilities.

The new board will measure 130 feet wide by 36 feet high, eight feet taller than the current board and 98 feet wider, or about the same width of the current ribbon board under the current video board, which measures 32 feet by 28 feet.

The board will go from being one of the smallest in the Power 5 conferences to above the national average of all schools within those conferences.

The majority of the approximately $15 million project will go into the steel infrastructure to support the new video board, which will include four new columns running from the bottom of the video board to the ground around the south side of the stadium.

Awesome
So, will there actually be two large screens on the outside that will create a watching area outside on the South along Colorado Avenue?

Most people on this thread probably don't peruse the Broncos thread in the pub, so I'll break down my brilliant solution to the Folsom Field modernization conundrum.

The Broncos want to revitalize or more likely replace Empower Field. The dynamic solution for both CU and the Broncos is for CU to approach the Walton Penner Group and offer this plan:

With a small financial "kickstart" if you will from the WPG, CU embarks on a massive renovation of Folsom while the Buffs play 2 seasons at Empower. After Folsom has been fully renovated, modernized, and expanded, the Broncos play 2 seasons at Folsom while Empower is demolished and a new Broncos stadium is built.

Win win win mother****ers.

That's cool! That video board isn't that old, but was way too small even for the time they installed it
They claimed with a straight face they couldn't build it any bigger at the time due to Boulder County wind mph regulations or something like that.

You can engineer almost anything if you are willing to pay for it.

On the swimming thing- there are currently only 2-3 regulation Olympic sized pools in the state. One is at the Air Force Academy, and another is at DU. I can’t speak for the one at Air Force, but the DU one is in almost constant use. Even during hockey games, there are people in the pool (which is in the same building as the hockey arena). The thing about the DU pool that’s odd to me is that for competition, they actually use the 25 meter lanes and not the 50 meter lanes. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it configured for 50 meter lanes.

Blah Blah Blah Reaction GIF by Travis

I am interested to see how this affects Flatiron sight lines from the field and lower bowl

There's part of me that thinks it's overkill with modern scoreboards and how expensive they are.

But it's a new era with how much video and info is available, what we're accustomed to seeing during a tv broadcast, and the need of a program to not just meet expectations of all relevant parties but impress them. So, given that, I think it's appropriate and even competitively necessary in this era. Got to do the things that win recruits and win the buy box for sports entertainment dollars.

After our weekend at Sanford Stadium, more screens is never too much. Also, interesting note on replays - they show the video that the ref is looking at. At first i was confused but we sat close enough to see what he was looking at and I realized they were the same. I thought that was pretty cool.

On the swimming thing- there are currently only 2-3 regulation Olympic sized pools in the state. One is at the Air Force Academy, and another is at DU. I can’t speak for the one at Air Force, but the DU one is in almost constant use. Even during hockey games, there are people in the pool (which is in the same building as the hockey arena). The thing about the DU pool that’s odd to me is that for competition, they actually use the 25 meter lanes and not the 50 meter lanes. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it configured for 50 meter lanes.
Swimming has two seasons. Long course and short course. Long course uses the 50 meter configuration and starts in January and lasts until early to mid summer. The month of Aug is the off-season. Short course uses the 25M configuration and starts in September and lasts until December.

BTW there are other 50M pools in the state besides DU and AFA. One in Ft Collins (not at csu), one in Grand Junction at Mesa, one in Lakewood, one in Arvada, and one in Thornton I think. There may be others.

Back