What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mack Brown reportedly stepping down

well, two reasons. The other being $
How much $ does he really need? He took less money (at the time) to go to Bama than stay in Miami. I'm not saying it's a non-factor, but I can't imagine at his age it's the deciding one when he's already one of the richest head coaches.

How much $ does he really need? He took less money (at the time) to go to Bama than stay in Miami. I'm not saying it's a non-factor, but I can't imagine at his age it's the deciding one when he's already one of the richest head coaches.

He made enough money to buy Miami, but he pissed it away so fast.

Hmm I wonder how much money is too much. To people that are highly driven, is there enough?

Hmm I wonder how much money is too much. To people that are highly driven, is there enough?

For a some people it isn't about how much you get, it's about how much you get in comparison to others, it's a kind of scoreboard.

The same guy who wants to beat LSU by 35 wants to beat Les Miles by $3.5 million a year.

If I'm Nick Saban, I feel like I'm underpaid if any college football coach makes more than I do.

He made enough money to buy Miami, but he pissed it away so fast.

He went out on the sea, for adventure. Expounding the view of the captain and crew like a man just released from indenture?

Reactions: aik

No.

If I'm Nick Saban, I feel like I'm underpaid if any college football coach makes more than I do.

Exactly.

Even in his mind does Saban want/need an extra couple million a year? No not really.

Is it flaming horse **** that someone makes more money than him? Absolutely.

Considering the Bama chancellor has said, "he's the best investment, they've ever made," he's implying should be paid even more. That tends to happens in sports, Bama only really has to compete against Texas and potentially NFL teams for his services.

QuagmirePart2-1.png

I look at that as a career strategy move. His "personal brand" was going to tank if he stayed too much longer in Miami without success, and I think he had figured out that he wasn't going to be successful in the pros (or at least in Miami in those particular set of circumstances). By moving back to college, where he knew he could be successful, he retained some of the value he had already built.

I just can't decide who I want to be more disappointed. Texas fans or Bama fans. Bama fans definitely top the arrogance scale right now, but that always comes with success. Texas fans will go right back to the top though if they get Saban. I'm torn here.

Still nothing beats eats kentucky basketball fans. Unbearable.

I just can't decide who I want to be more disappointed. Texas fans or Bama fans. Bama fans definitely top the arrogance scale right now, but that always comes with success. Texas fans will go right back to the top though if they get Saban. I'm torn here.

So, is this a formulaic thing? Fans of all winning teams suck?

Or the real reason why he would go.

His wife wants to. It's amazing how often people who are paid to make decisions have the major decisions made for them by their wives.

:nod: This was the real reason he left the Miami Dolphins too. His wife hated living in Miami and let everyone know.

I look at that as a career strategy move. His "personal brand" was going to tank if he stayed too much longer in Miami without success, and I think he had figured out that he wasn't going to be successful in the pros (or at least in Miami in those particular set of circumstances). By moving back to college, where he knew he could be successful, he retained some of the value he had already built.

The only reasons why Saban would move would be (a) $ (it's always about the money, no matter how much you have) and (b) that he genuienly likes the challenge of building up a champion by installing his "process", his system. And, of course, the ego trip associated with both.

I think he also knows when to get out before things fall off a bit. He's set the bar very high at Alabama, and he knows how hard it is to maintain that level. Pitfalls seem to always stack up at really successful programs--staff turnover, team discipline/motivation, ncaa violations. Urban Meyer and Pete Carroll knew when it was time to move on, I think Saban follows a similar career strategy.

Texass fans, by a long shot.

Reactions: aik
Back