What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mack Brown reportedly stepping down

platypus.jpg

This is getting funny. Not only did they now hire a search firm, but this committee is a bunch of oilmen, academics and even a former US Ambassador.

As I said before - being the HC at UT is about handling celebrity and politics more than it's about coaching football.

This is getting funny. Not only did they now hire a search firm, but this committee is a bunch of oilmen, academics and even a former US Ambassador.

As I said before - being the HC at UT is about handling celebrity and politics more than it's about coaching football.
Which is weird because that is exactly what Mack excelled at. He was the CEO who recruited well and represented the program with class. He was never accused of being a great X's and O's guy. In fact, they finally won a MNC when they got out of their own way when they stopped trying to out-scheme teams and just let Vince take the snap and make a play. They are essentially looking for another Mack, no?

Which is weird because that is exactly what Mack excelled at. He was the CEO who recruited well and represented the program with class. He was never accused of being a great X's and O's guy. In fact, they finally won a MNC when they got out of their own way when they stopped trying to out-scheme teams and just let Vince take the snap and make a play. They are essentially looking for another Mack, no?

Exactly. They want to hire Mack Brown. I'm not sure who that guy is, but it's what worked. Didn't Mack have over a decade of 10-win seasons before his act wore thin?

Well yeah but you still need to win games at the end of the day, but it's not only X's and O's but managing egos.

Exactly. They want to hire Mack Brown. I'm not sure who that guy is, but it's what worked. Didn't Mack have over a decade of 10-win seasons before his act wore thin?
After a decade-and-a-half things tend to go stale, if they get a coach who is there for that long, that will be a success IMO.

He did. Last good season was 2009, I think. Since then he's had 1 bad season (5 wins) and the rest 8-9 wins.

The are UT. They assume that just because they are who they are whichever coach they hire will win 10 games a year. They figure that they should be able to get whichever recruit out of Texas they want and that most other teams will simply bow down to their "Hornness."

I agree with other here, this is going to end badly for them, and hilarious for the rest of us.

Keep in mind the difficulties they went through after Darrell Royal Retired. Fred Akers took over and came close to winning some NCs but not close enough for the UT faithfull. They wanted another Darrell Royal. When he had a 5-6 season they replaced him with McWilliams then Mackovic. They had a couple of 10 win season between them but also a number close to .500 which included wins over paid victims in the OOC leaving the fans unhappy and resulted in hiring Brown.

Considering the recruiting advantages they have Texas belongs in the underperforming hall of fame along with Notre Dame and a couple of others.

This process of replacing Mack Brown doesn't lead me to think that status is going to change anytime soon.

As someone said the other day, "when there's a problem... let's form a committee."
or hire a consultant, that is what we do (where I work). Mack should have stayed atleast one more year IMO. There are not that many quality coaches that want to go deal with that fan base and egos.

The true challenge with the recruiting at Texas is the scouting part and deciding who you want and who to pass up on. Not offering a Heisman winner and a Heisman runner-up and #1 overall draft pick from your own backyard, and offering another Heisman winning QB a scholarship as a DB, while you´re trotting out the David Ashes and Case McCoys of this world can make recruiting hard even at Texas ... because you end up with a gigantic egg on your face.

In other words, you don´t have to succeed because you´re always getting decent classes, but you have to be careful not to miss out on some game changing prospects.

2001-09 texas was 101-16, played in two national championships and won one...plus a great record against top-25 teams, w

since the loss to bama, things have not gone so well....i have a long explanation, but basically we tried to change our offensive identity, failed, then moved to no identity at all.....on the defensive side of the ball our coordinators kept taking hc jobs so we had no consistency

or hire a consultant, that is what we do (where I work). Mack should have stayed atleast one more year IMO. There are not that many quality coaches that want to go deal with that fan base and egos.
A consultant is usually for smaller scale operation and when the changes aren't as wholesale. A consultant to me especially in this context is how can you improve with what you have.

A consultant is usually for when you know you are likely to screw up and want somebody else to blame. A consultant to me especially in this context is how can you make a decision without having to take responsibility.

fify

Interesting. I really thought they'd step on their crank during this whole process.

That's a pretty deep Plan B.

Only when you throw out NFL coaches, Super Bowl winning coaches at that, and say that your hire is going to change the world like Texas Rivals' moderators said. They seriously said that.

I hope they like Shawn Watson, given how admired Greg Davis and Major Applewhite were at the end of their time there.

Only time will tell, but I think this is a good hire for Texas if Strong ends up taking the job as expected. He was a very good assistant for years, including winning two national titles as the Florida D-coordinator. Plus his record at Louisville is very impressive. I know it was in a weak conference, but he turned Louisville around, was recruiting very well and convincingly won a BCS bowl game against an SEC opponent. Louisville also convincingly beat Miami in a bowl game this year and were very close to beating a good UCF team. Had they beaten UCF they would have been in a second consecutive BCS bowl game.

Texas:

Players may not live off campus anymore, unless they're a senior who hits certain academic standards. The University will buy out the leases for every player currently living off campus and put them in the athletic dorm

Uhhh...

Come on, I'm sure they'll have some very nice quarters for them to live in. Close to the fields and everything.

Back