What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MBB 2019 Season Hype Thread

Namon is playing. One of a couple guys who are actually playing D. Mines up 29-22 with 3:52 to play in the first half. No bueno

Last edited:
Mines 33 CU 27 at the half. No Dombek hasn't played and it looks like Deleon Brown might be banged up as he has extra padding on his left knee. Thus he hasn't played either.

Step slow. Can’t shoot. Can’t jump. Can’t finish. Can’t guard.

Team looks like they were up all night running stadium steps while downing Jell-O shots.

Pretty much rolled in the 2nd half. Started dishing off drives and the easy shots started going down a bit more.

Bey looked really good. Battey was impressive, especially considering that he's shaking off 2 years of rust from not playing in games.

Gatling is still figuring it out. Schwartz looks like he has slimmed down, but he's never going to be real quick as a wing defender - has to be scoring. Really liking Siewert's offensive game. Namon was very disruptive on the defensive end and made a big difference today.

Most of what @Buffnik said is accurate. Team really looked like it could care less in the first half. In the second half they played some D that lead to break opportunities. Offensive spacing in the half court is still really poor. Overall this team has a LONG LONG way to go.

Most of what @Buffnik said is accurate. Team really looked like it could care less in the first half. In the second half they played some D that lead to break opportunities. Offensive spacing in the half court is still really poor. Overall this team has a LONG LONG way to go.
thanks for the update...was planning to go but friday nite just crushed myattitude towards anything buffs

Anyone have insights as to why Schwartz won the shooting guard position?

I didn't see much from him last year in driving/creating in the paint. I do like his shooting beyond the arc.

I didn't see much from him last year in driving/creating in the paint. I do like his shooting beyond the arc.

D'Shawn is pretty long and could be a defensive beast if he works at it--especially at the 2.

Small forward, but I think he's a better player and definitely has more upside than Namon. I haven't like much from what I've seen from Namon, honestly.

Small forward, but I think he's a better player and definitely has more upside than Namon. I haven't like much from what I've seen from Namon, honestly.
For me, that depends on what end of the court we're talking about. Namon's inconsistency as a scorer is frustrating, but his defense can be very disruptive and his ability on the break at both ends is definitely a plus. He's also a heck of a rebounder for a 2/3.

For me, that depends on what end of the court we're talking about. Namon's inconsistency as a scorer is frustrating, but his defense can be very disruptive and his ability on the break at both ends is definitely a plus. He's also a heck of a rebounder for a 2/3.
I see him as a good energy guy. His coming here didn't really move the needle IMO, and that's how I felt at the time, too. Nice second unit piece on a good team, but frankly, I think all of us would like to see Tad put more emphasis on scoring, and starting Schwartz does that.

Not sure if he has really won that job or not, but the answer would bethat Namon's jumper is worse than last year and the mechanics are beyond bad.

Namon was the only Buff that actually played D every time he was on the floor in the scrimmage. He has weaknesses but he seems to understand what he needs to do to play.

I see him as a good energy guy. His coming here didn't really move the needle IMO, and that's how I felt at the time, too. Nice second unit piece on a good team, but frankly, I think all of us would like to see Tad put more emphasis on scoring, and starting Schwartz does that.
Schwartz can score and has a nice shot but he is still passive and doesn't even look at the basket half the time, even when he is open. Hope more playing time changes that.

My takeaways from Saturday:
1) If at anytime we really wanted to step on the gas and win by 30 we could have. Take that how you will, but the effort given Friday won't be the one you see against Drake
2) During large portions of the game you had a fivesome of players that likely won't ever play together as a group again this year.
3) If Mines doesn't shoot 50% from 3 in the 1st half we win by 20.
4) Anytime Kin wants to take over he can and will. Frankly, he could've scored 35 if he wanted to. There was no one on Mines that could've stopped him if he wanted to take it himself everytime down the floor.
5) Battey has a pretty great stroke from 10-15. Needs to work on his back down moves and finishing though.
6) Siewart's game has really progressed over these past couple of years. He'll definitely not be afraid to do work inside.
7) Namon can't shoot. He should forego outside shots and focus on being a slasher.
8) Kountz is a long way ahead of Parquet.
9) I agree with the others that mentioned that Schwartz needs to be more aggressive on offense. Seemed to be looking to simply pass the ball off when it rotated to him on the perimeter. He's going to get some match ups with guys 4 inches shorter and not as quick and he needs to take advantage of that.
10) Every shot Gatling took was really flat and short. Anybody know if that's just his regular trajectory?
11) Not having Dallas is going to hurt a lot more than we all care to admit.

My takeaways from Saturday:
11) Not having Dallas is going to hurt a lot more than we all care to admit.

I thought about going player by player after the scrimmage, but wanted to sleep on things, so here it is today.

Dallas will be missed a lot and it looks like he is struggling in dealing with the mental aspects of his injury. He waited behind and away from the other team mates as they introduced themselves, then the instant he was done talking he hobbled off the floor to the locker room as quickly as possible. He also sat on the bench, basically the far end and was quiet most of the game. I really hope he finds a way to pull through and keep connecting with his team mates.

Siewert - Will be the best big CU has this year. Yes he can spread the floor, but he looks bigger and more willing to mix it up inside.
Battey - is smooth and can clearly play, but he needs a big man camp as he has a bad habit of leaving the ball low and within easy reach of opponents when he is in the block. Also, he may be the worst defensive player on the team. A couple 6'4" mines guys abused him in the post a time or three. Good news is, he isn't likely to foul much.
Bey - I know coach is gaga about Bey, but if I am honest, he didn't look any different than he did at the end of last year, maybe his shot is slightly better, but it is flat. That being said, Bey at the end of the year last year was damn good.
Parquet - Not sure how much floor time he will see. Definitely athletic, but didn't excel anywhere in the scrimmage.
Kountz - I know I said Battey may be the worst defender, but Kountz will give him a serious run for his money. That being said, Kountz is very fluid on offense and his step back jumper is going to be really good one day. During the scrimmage he just wasn't very accurate.
Namon - I think he will be the best defender on the team, but no one and I mean no one will guard him past 15 feet. Definitely a slasher...still turn over prone.
Gatling - To me, Gatling and Parquet were almost indistinguishable during the game. Similar build, similar propensity to make mistakes, neither looked like great shooters....maybe Gatling just had a bad game??? Or maybe the step up to this level is going to be more difficult than I would have thought. At least five mines players are better shooters, with better form than Gatling....and he didn't look THAT much more athletic.
Schwartz - If this guy were just aggressive he could be one of the top three players on the roster....I expect to see more of that this year, but not to the extent he is capable of. Great form on his shot, good body to go inside, quick first step, not a bad defender....yet it isn't all coming together on the floor. You all didn't know this but Schwartz is actually spelled PSchwartz.
Strating - Already better than I ever thought he would be last year. Still shouldn't play except in clean up...Wait, I here the Football team could use a tight end. Strating definitely could do that as he looks much bigger than his listed weight of 227.
Deleon Brown - Didn't play, so probably the same Deleon we saw before? Honestly, except for his stature, he may be the second best guard on the team.
Dombek - Didn't play much, didn't look horrible out of place when he did...but thank GOD this was played in doors where there isn't any wind, or else he might have blown away.
M. Wright - Best player on the roster (duh), but to be honest, he didn't play very good defense against Mines (disinterested much?) and he turned the ball over more than the stat line said he did. Also he burned several Mines players, but CU's spacing on offense was so bad, it often just led to him being covered by others.

Last edited:
Are we allowed to set expectations at an invitation to the dance or is that still a ways off?

Are we allowed to set expectations at an invitation to the dance or is that still a ways off?
Before I watched the scrimmage, the kool aid was flowing and I would have said yes, CU is going dancing.....after watching the scrimmage it seems that the kool aid man is just a giant red balloon filled with piss.

So, in spite of CitizenK's underwhelming report, I am setting my expectations at being an NCAA bubble team. Whether that bubble bursts or gets us in, I can't say. I think this team should at least be in the first 4-8 in/out. However, I'm hoping all things click and the ceiling of one/two wins in the tourney is reached...which yes, I acknowledge is very unlikely.

Before I watched the scrimmage, the kool aid was flowing and I would have said yes, CU is going dancing.....after watching the scrimmage it seems that the kool aid man is just a giant red balloon filled with piss.

Yeah, seriously...wtf man?! Your post sort of makes me nervous man... ... ...thanks for the post though, nice to get some balance to my optimism.

Great!

So, in spite of CitizenK's underwhelming report, I am setting my expectations at being an NCAA bubble team. Whether that bubble bursts or gets us in, I can't say. I think this team should at least be in the first 4-8 in/out. However, I'm hoping all things click and the ceiling of one/two wins in the tourney is reached...which yes, I acknowledge is very unlikely.

Yeah, seriously...wtf man?! Your post sort of makes me nervous man... ... ...thanks for the post though, nice to get some balance to my optimism.
They really did look that bad during the scrimmage. There isn't any getting around it. Mines will be a mid level RMAC team...but those Petroleum Engineers managed to make CU look pretty bad a time or ten. I am hoping that this is because the CU players just didn't want to be there at all....but some of it (Interior defense in particular), looks like it is just going to be a problem all year. Losing Dallas is a Big, BIG loss.

Oh and when Tad thanked people for coming out he said, "I know this team has a lot of things it still needs to work on, but I really want to thank you for coming out." He didn't start with the thank you, he started with a pseudo apology. That probably sums up the scrimmage better than I ever could. If I had taken a photo of RG's face, that would have done it too.

If you set expectations on scrimmages, you're either going to be very happily surprised or very disappointed because they are in no way representative of what teams are going to look like during the year.

Lots of head scratching scores during scrimmage season. Head scratching, if you think either team is playing it straight.

If you set expectations on scrimmages, you're either going to be very happily surprised or very disappointed because they are in no way representative of what teams are going to look like during the year.

Lots of head scratching scores during scrimmage season. Head scratching, if you think either team is playing it straight.

Yes and no.

Duke just beat the hell from last year’s division 2 champs in a scrimmage on Oct 27. 132-48.

That’s probably an accurate depiction of what would happen if those two teams played each other mid season.

Sometimes you just need to beat the hell from a lower level team that you’re scrimmaging.

If you can.

Last edited:
Just don't think setting expectations at the NCAA bubble level does much good with the injury to Walton. He has his limitations, but was a competent shot alterer and post scorer in a way that no one else on the roster is. I'm eager to see how this team looks come January, but I think it's fair to say that what should have been a bubble team took a pretty big hit losing its starting center.

For me, I'd like to see an NIT team that might make a late season run, notching three or four wins against the top half of the conference, and taking care of business against the bottom third.

Back