What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MBB 2019 Season Hype Thread

I went to see the scrimmage today. When you watch a team play each other, it can be a little questionable ... did the shots fall because they were good shooters or was the defense bad? So you have to take it all with a grain of salt. That said, I am confident that this team will be a lot of fun to watch. And they clearly play intensely with a focus on defense ... much more energy than last year at the season ticket holder scrimmage. They played four 10 minute quarters, revolving some of the players between teams each quarter. The biggest takeaways from this particular game for me were:
  • Lucas Siewert may be the most improved guy on the team. He had the outside shot last year. But in this game he drove the basket, created some and was surprisingly aggressive. In the past he seemed more timid and undecided about what to do with the ball sometimes, but now he looks like is confidence is much higher ... made a couple of nice passes as well ... much improved court awareness ... perhaps because he has figured things out
  • Evan Battey is the real deal. He is a load underneath, rebounds and can shoot from outside ... plays defense (so did Seiwert). If Battey can stay out of foul trouble, he will be a big boost inside ... reminds me a lot of the big heavy set forward that played for Washington the past few years and ate our lunch last season. Battey and Seiwert were the two best players in this game.
  • Daylen Koutz (the kid from Denver East) was THE second best guard in this game. He just knows how to play basketball, has no fear, can handle and play the point. At 6'4" he looks like and reminds me some of Donnie Boyce (my all time favorite Buff). I am not saying that he is the second coming of Boyce, but his ability to drive, create his own shot and see the court reminds me a lot of Boyce ... he may be almost as good as Boyce was when he was a freshman. Off of this performance today, I think that this guy will be a significant contributor to the team.
  • Eli Parquet teams with Koutz as the best tandem of freshman guards that I can remember at CU. He is smooth, confident and has excellent court presence, especially for a freshman. He is athletic and plays a bit bigger than his 6-3 frame would suggest. At one point in the game, he posterized" Tyler Bey with a dunk (in fairness, Tyler did not have great angle) ... no fear, no big deal, he just kept his head down and kept on playing.
  • Deleon Brown looks another year better ... played a really solid game on both ends ... maybe the third best guard today ... or tied with Parquet.
  • D'Shawn Schwartz has his moments ... looks confident as a catch and shoot guy ... took it to the basket some ... still seems to be figuring things out
  • Tyler Bey had some nice moments, but still will likely improve from what I saw today. He is athletic and supposedly improved from last year ... what I saw today was about the level that he played at last year ... great sometimes but a little inconsistent ... needs to improve his handle.
  • McKinley Wright was doing his thing. He made a couple of long outside shots and had some nice assists. He looks improved in some aspects ... but I think he was pressing a little, perhaps trying to do to much at first ... improved as the game went on
  • Namon Wright was solid ... about the same as I remember him from last year
  • Shane Gatling had a couple of nice plays ... but I think that he is still figuring out the game at this level ... athletic, can shoot, but certainly is not dominant at this level yet.
  • Jacob Dombek (the kid from the Czech Republic) is intriguing. He clearly was like drinking out of a fire hose at times in this game, but he is intense, can shoot and run the floor ... and he is very long ... although very light at 190 on his 6-11 frame. Given the Dallas Walton is out for the season, I think that he will find some playing time inside as a backup. He has the potential to develop into a really good player (maybe even all Pac 12) ... if he sticks around and works hard at it.
  • Alex Strating is a gritty guy ... works very hard ... this continues to show ... made some nice plays on defense and a couple of nice shots ... But he will likely not see a lot of playing time this year.
  • Frank Ryder (the big kid from Boulder) is pretty good ... especially for a walk on ... But his is not at a D1 level yet ... however at 6-10 (and without Dallas) may see some action as a backup.
  • I miss Dallas Walton already ... so sad not to have him this year ... but we have everybody back but Namon next year ... Maybe 2019-20 will be a coming out party for Dallas and the whole team
So, that is my early assessment ... I am probably optimistic at this point, but I think that they have a shot at making the top four and drawing a bye in the first round of the Pac 12 tourney ... I like this team and I think that you will too

Thanks for the anaylsis - good stuff here. (I think Ryder has to sit this season out, however.) And the Donnie Boyce - Poncho Hodges teams were a lot of fun.

Since we’ve only been 2 years without Josh, does that essentially mean Battey is better offensively than Wes or Dallas?
Way better, yeah.

I don't want to overhype, because it was Buffs on Buffs action, but Battey is such a dynamic threat. He can shoot, drive, post up, and clear space with the best. But the extra threat is he moves the ball efficiently around the court.

Way better, yeah.

I don't want to overhype, because it was Buffs on Buffs action, but Battey is such a dynamic threat. He can shoot, drive, post up, and clear space with the best. But the extra threat is he moves the ball efficiently around the court.

His Mid range jumper looked very smooth, and he looked confident taking it.

My biggest worry with him was I feel he will be in foul trouble constantly, so keeping him on the floor will be difficult. Most of his foul trouble will come from his size, he will barely touch someone and they will go flying due to his physical presence.

That being said, at some point this season he will level someone, and it will be awesome!

His Mid range jumper looked very smooth, and he looked confident taking it.

My biggest worry with him was I feel he will be in foul trouble constantly, so keeping him on the floor will be difficult. Most of his foul trouble will come from his size, he will barely touch someone and they will go flying due to his physical presence.

That being said, at some point this season he will level someone, and it will be awesome!
Maybe Friday night would be a good start? We could use him on the dline!

What's story on tickets for Saturday against Mines? They're not included in the season tix.

All the love ASU is getting despite their losses continues to surprise me.
The Hurleys are college basketball royalty. Especially Bobby because of the dynasty years he quarterbacked at Duke. I think Danny’s a better coach, tho.

TICKETS GONE TO A GOOD HOME - I can't make the Saturday exhibition game against Mines and have 4 tickets for anyone that can use. Message me with an email address and they are yours.

Last edited:
Bump. Let's show up tomorrow. Show RG that the fans can get behind a team that plays hard and a coach that takes responsibility

51TH0OXOfVL._SS500.jpg

Back