What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MBB: Buffs @ Dawgs

It appears that this team does not have the conditioning they need to close out games. Why the hell is that?
It isn't conditioning. It is all mental. It is a lack of desire to compete and win. It is laziness. They showed the same tendencies last year. Get a big lead, go cold in the 2nd half, never recover.

I don't think it's laziness, but it's certainly mental. I am really surprised that a group of guys from military families do not seem to have the mental toughness to deal with adversity. Hopefully Schwartz, Battey and Bey bring more of an alpha mentality to next year's roster.

Something is wrong with tads approach right now. And something was very wrong with his recruiting for a few years. This season needs to stop going off a cliff pronto

It isn't conditioning. It is all mental. It is a lack of desire to compete and win. It is laziness. They showed the same tendencies last year. Get a big lead, go cold in the 2nd half, never recover.
I think there may have been some laziness during the off season and when the guys should have been working on improving their games and improving their ability to work together as a team. But then that may not have been laziness so much as the guys just believing too much in their own hype. I know there was some laziness that occurred early in the season when CU was playing, and mostly beating, some really bad teams. That being said, I haven't seen the lack of effort in recent games. I've seen effort, but often miss applied...or they focus their effort on one area and are so focused they fail to do something else (like block out against USC)....last night I think I saw frustration and a lack of understanding on how to attack a team when they start to put defensive pressure on you. I think all of these problems point back to the off season and preseason preparations.

Something is wrong with tads approach right now. And something was very wrong with his recruiting for a few years. This season needs to stop going off a cliff pronto
After last night it's clear the cliff is in the rear view mirror and it's a one-way ride.

I agree with you whole heartedly here. CU is NO longer considered a "black hole" for basketball. Regardless of this season, they're still considered one of the best programs in the Pac-12. They've made the NCAA tourney 4 of 6 years, and it is known NOW as being a quality place for basketball. I don't know where the current AD stands with promoting the sport but I have noticed diminishing crowds and seemingly overall support for the basketball program. Things were far different under Mike Bohn but then football took a major spill and we can't have that. I don't understand why it is so hard to find a good AD that can drum up major support and enthusiasm for all programs.

Anyway, I agree that if things continue down this current path, into next year, we could potentially be looking at a coach teetering on the hot seat. No Joke! And there are many good basketball coaches out there who would be very interested in the job. CU has good facilities now. It's a campus where a lot of kids would love to come play. They can have a very good home court advantage when things are good, and they play in one of the best conferences. It would be a very intriguing place for many coaches.

CU has never been known as one of the best programs in the Pac-12, even with Spencer here, many considered it a "run."

In reality, CU is in the 8-10 range in terms of quality job metrics compared to its conference foes. Does that mean that the coach shouldn't be held to a high standard? No, absolutely not. Tad is in this hole due to many reasons, several of which are his own fault. But when you're CU and you're dealing with a guy who has brought nearly unprecedented success for the program, you give him the chance to get himself out of it. If you fire Boyle before 2020, you've just told every replacement candidate that even though you don't have the full attention of the athletic department, even though you have fair weather attendance, even though you have very little local talent pool to recruit from, and even though you have no tradition, this is a "what have you done for me lately" job where the most successful run in 50 years wasn't good enough.

That's not how you attract A.) Rising stars in the business B.) Guys who will stay longer than a 3-4 year run of success. That's not how you build a program.

Tad's brand of basketball is so hard to watch/support. Fans don't want to watch a team grind it out every game (regardless of the opponent). Anyone watching last night knew that the first half lead would inevitably dissolve.

It's on me! It's on me! This one is on me...

Tad's brand of basketball is so hard to watch/support. Fans don't want to watch a team grind it out every game (regardless of the opponent). Anyone watching last night knew that the first half lead would inevitably dissolve.

It's on me! It's on me! This one is on me...

Then don't watch college basketball. The vast majority of teams and games aren't great basketball. If you only support certain brands of basketball then, well, that's part of the problem at Colorado.

If you fire Boyle before 2020, you've just told every replacement candidate that even though you don't have the full attention of the athletic department, even though you have fair weather attendance, even though you have very little local talent pool to recruit from, and even though you have no tradition, this is a "what have you done for me lately" job where the most successful run in 50 years wasn't good enough.

This. And he's overstating it honestly.

Winning on the road is hard.

Winning on the road against the #1 pick in the NBA draft is really hard.

The Buffs sucked and should be ashamed of that game.

All three of those things can be true, and are. That's the first "bad" loss of conference play. And it's gonna stick for a while. Honestly, everyone not named Derrick White or Xavier Johnson should be pretty disgusted with their performances. And that goes for the coaches too. But anyone talking about firing Tad is absolutely bat**** insane.

This. And he's overstating it honestly.

Winning on the road is hard.

Winning on the road against the #1 pick in the NBA draft is really hard.

The Buffs sucked and should be ashamed of that game.

All three of those things can be true, and are. That's the first "bad" loss of conference play. And it's gonna stick for a while. Honestly, everyone not named Derrick White or Xavier Johnson should be pretty disgusted with their performances. And that goes for the coaches too. But anyone talking about firing Tad is absolutely bat**** insane.
This. Anyone wanting to fire Boyle better have some damn good realistic options to offer. And I submit there aren't any, even ignoring the message firing him would be sent. It's akin to throwing a tantrum.

From Darth Snow
This. Anyone wanting to fire Boyle better have some damn good realistic options to offer. And I submit there aren't any, even ignoring the message firing him would be sent. It's akin to throwing a tantrum.

Thats what this board is for throwing tantrums. Washington was home and when behind Fultz took over and benefited from getting free throw attempts. White drove just as hard and got 5 to Fultz 15. I get the frustration due to having 17 point lead, so now just break down to as how they got that lead. Who was on the floor? What was working?
Losing Wes forced the second zone stint because Washington was putting bigs in PnR with Fultz. Wes is the best big for trying to contain guards. Didnt work well because MF is a talented player.

From Darth Snow

Thats what this board is for throwing tantrums. Washington was home and when behind Fultz took over and benefited from getting free throw attempts. White drove just as hard and got 5 to Fultz 15. I get the frustration due to having 17 point lead, so now just break down to as how they got that lead. Who was on the floor? What was working?
Losing Wes forced the second zone stint because Washington was putting bigs in PnR with Fultz. Wes is the best big for trying to contain guards. Didnt work well because MF is a talented player.
Hi quote feature automatically attached to Reply? Nice to meet you

Hopefully last night killed the thought that the team should be playing more zone. I know @Darth Snow and I were both shocked at how well they played it in the first half, but the second half showed that unless you're 100% dedicated to serious time in zone defense it's not worth it unless it's for spot moments (see: Ben Mills vs Kansas). It's too hard to pull off successfully and it makes it a bitch to box out for rebounds (we gave up 13 boards last night which isn't huge, but...).

But I'm also 100% anti-zone defense in every aspect of life, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Hopefully last night killed the thought that the team should be playing more zone. I know @Darth Snow and I were both shocked at how well they played it in the first half, but the second half showed that unless you're 100% dedicated to serious time in zone defense it's not worth it unless it's for spot moments (see: Ben Mills vs Kansas). It's too hard to pull off successfully and it makes it a bitch to box out for rebounds (we gave up 13 boards last night which isn't huge, but...).

But I'm also 100% anti-zone defense in every aspect of life, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

You know what the 1st half was? King & Fortune were making shots. When they make shots, they don't press their way into as many negative plays, they play much better defense, and they open up the court for everyone else. This team is not good when they're not hitting. There are other issues, of course, but that's the root of the problems and successes on the court this season.

I 100% agree philosophically. Zone was effective in the first half... largely because everyone not named Fultz for UW couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat.

Well, when you can't play zone without giving up dribble penetration you may as well stick to man.

I'm going to chalk this up as inexperience on your part, but trapping zone and match up zone are a big part of my everyday life and I think if you studied the concepts you can incorporate them in some aspects of your life. While I typically parent in a man to man defensive approach, there are times when we switch to zone to keep the kids out of the candy aisle or on the playground. It just doesn't make sense to chase them up and down a slide when you can just watch your zone. And I haven't even mentioned parents that are outnumbered by their kids that play primarily zone defense.

I'm going to chalk this up as inexperience on your part, but trapping zone and match up zone are a big part of my everyday life and I think if you studied the concepts you can incorporate them in some aspects of your life. While I typically parent in a man to man defensive approach, there are times when we switch to zone to keep the kids out of the candy aisle or on the playground. It just doesn't make sense to chase them up and down a slide when you can just watch your zone. And I haven't even mentioned parents that are outnumbered by their kids that play primarily zone defense.

Right now we're running a strict double team defense and things are going well, but I will defer to your knowledge on this topic and know that I may change my tune.

Occasionally I find that full-court pressure is necessary at bath time or bedtime. One essential rule is that in a jump-toy situation the arrow always points to the referee.

Tad deserves time to recover from the mess he's in. That being said a string of seasons like this should be cause for alarm. Seems like he struck out on recruiting in a few key spots, and he seems lost when his teams don't consistently rebound and play defense like he wants. His offensive sets have never been things of beauty. A very good PG that can consistently drive, get fouled, and hit FTs would cover up a lot of warts.

Back