What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mel Tucker leaves CU for Michigan State

Is this worse than when the weasel left?

similar really. Both were first time head coaches that were given a chance at CU. Both worked hard to develop relationships with the players.

It’s hard to tell how much of Tucker’s departure was him actively looking, or MSU simply recruiting him. Neuheisel was actively looking to reach his end goal of coaching UCLA.

if you want your career to grow you have to take opportunities. They don’t always come around again when you miss one.

If that is remotely true, then CU can be a player in the coaching market for both a HC and assistants. That is some big time money.

My guess is that Rick found some big donors to pony up for coaching salaries.

Those donors may have been willing to help with a counter offer, but it may not translate to the next hire

Everyone is comparing this to when Neuheisal left.....it is SO much worse. This won't be a popular factoid, but Rick wanted to stay at CU, but was told to leave by Tharp.

The exact opposite happened here.

I have never heard that take before. Ricky wanted to leave. Tharp did not push him out. That’s revisionist history. The only possible angle is that Tharp couldn’t / wouldn’t counter. That was the right decision by Tharp

Could be wrong here, but I'd think Tucker better damn well win at Michigan State. His word definitely took a hit.
There is a good chance Michigan State soon receives some NCAA penalties. Given this and the fact that Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin and Penn State are in the way, it will take time for him to win, even if he is the really good coach I think he is. As we all know, coaches don't get time in the current college football environment. Thus, if MSU does receive NCAA penalties then I would give MT less than a 50% chance to last past year 4 at MSU.

I will be calling CU momentarily to double down on my season ticket allotment. This isn't the time to run, its the time to circle round your fellows Buffs and support these players.

I think I'm going to take a break from CU football for a while.

The coaching search can obviously go on without me.

Hopefully we pull someone who can get me excited again and save the 2020 class from entering the portal en masse.

This sucks.

It isn't showing up for me. If anyone has a twitter feed or something please pass along. I wish he would be a little unpolished and say he's pissed off.

Edit: Thanks TScheck

There is a good chance Michigan State soon receives some NCAA penalties. Given this and the fact that Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin and Penn State are in the way, it will take time for him to win, even if he is the really good coach I think he is. As we all know, coaches don't get time in the current college football environment. Thus, if MSU does receive NCAA penalties then I would give MT less than a 50% chance to last past year 4 at MSU.

I will be calling CU momentarily to double down on my season ticket allotment. This isn't the time to run, its the time to circle round your fellows Buffs and support these players.
I'm not going anywhere as a fan, never even crossed my mind. That said, I think the football program has taken some years off my life. :D

I think I'm going to take a break from CU football for a while.

The coaching search can obviously go on without me.

Hopefully we pull someone who can get me excited again and save the 2020 class from entering the portal en masse.

This sucks.

I hate to say it but I'll stick around just because, they are my team, bleed black & gold. Coaching staff issues, lack of recruiting, lose to CSU, still sticking around.

That said, I punted my monetary commitment to the programs a ways back. The CU stuff I rock is old and has been in my closet for over 5-10 years. I used to pay for recruiting subscriptions and all that. Punted that stuff because at the end of the day, disappointment like this is completely out of our control as fans. Sucks but true. That said, I do really like Rick George and trust him totally in the process to find a good coach to build up the program.

And in two years we'll probably be in the same boat.

Go BUFFS.

On a positive note, in one year MT upgraded our talent. CU is not in full rebuild mode. That should make it a much more attractive gig. Also, it sounds like boosters are behind increasing the salary pool.

Coach Tucker: "Together, we will be relentless to create an integrity-filled and winning culture for our staff, coaches and student-athletes in everything we do – on and off the field."

Rick George completely danced around the question of whether Tucker was truthful and honest about the process. Translation: Tucker and his reps were working behind CU's back to get this done. @hawg1 can we drop the notion that RG was in the loop the whole time please. Tucker is a snake.

"I got word through some .... (pause) ... channels that there were still discussions between MSU and Mel."

Back