What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mel Tucker leaves CU for Michigan State

Update from a friend this morning that knows Mel.

Said he spoke with Mel yesterday and no mention of any interview. My friend did say Mel unhappy with CU admin and the admission process. Said Mel when he took the job was promised by CU that admissions would take recruits that met NCAA minimums and said it was the only way to compete nationally. Friend says Mel has had to pass on some recruits because could not get admitted and feels CU is not honoring their word when he took the job. My friend said Mel has not responded to his texts this morning.

What has he done to even be considered by a program like MSU at this point?
Great Leadership isn’t hard to pick up on. MT has it! Also, Never in 30 years of being a recruiting nerd, have I seen the level of mirror recruiting with Mel. When he offers a kid, it’s a fricking feeding frenzy and not from mid level programs. The elite programs go after.

No new info, still going off the original Detroit Free Press story, but additional color on MT’s ties to the area and the disparity in AD revenue and assistant salary pool between the schools.

Said he spoke with Mel yesterday and no mention of any interview. My friend did say Mel unhappy with CU admin and the admission process. Said Mel when he took the job was promised by CU that admissions would take recruits that met NCAA minimums and said it was the only way to compete nationally. Friend says Mel has had to pass on some recruits because could not get admitted and feels CU is not honoring their word when he took the job. My friend said Mel has not responded to his texts this morning.

That sounds very CU-like.

Super.

[/QUO

damn! Unfortunately that smells not only possible but likely! I’ll go back to my hope that they are using to leverage the administration.

and wouldnt you love to know which recruits!

I think we do know a few. The DBs that were committed or rumored to be about to commit that ended up at Oregon St

Edit: that was supposed to be a reply to CPVbuff. Not sure why it doesn't show up that way.

I'd point out that Fickell is probably their number one choice by a mile, will likely generate more excitement in their fanbase and donors, and is probably more than willing to jump there from Cincinnati.

So, it is still very unlikely that MT will be the MSU coach at the end of all this, for better or worse.

So, it’s clear the difference between these two programs is money, because otherwise it’s a lateral move, at best. So, you can’t blame the guy for trying to make his family and himself more secure financially. That said, this would feel so much less icky if it was some all-time great program he was interviewing for—I could forgive him for that. But MSU is a middling program just like CU. If he takes this interview and comes back, he’ll have this program and the fans’ feet over the fire anytime ANY P5 coaching job opens up. You just can’t let that happen to your program, and that’s what depresses me the most.

So, it’s clear the difference between these two programs is money, because otherwise it’s a lateral move, at best. So, you can’t blame the guy for trying to make his family and himself more secure financially. That said, this would feel so much less icky if it was some all-time great program he was interviewing for—I could forgive him for that. But MSU is a middling program just like CU. If he takes this interview and comes back, he’ll have this program and the fans’ feet over the fire anytime ANY P5 coaching job opens up. You just can’t let that happen to your program, and that’s what depresses me the most.

Again, read the Howell article.

Considering we lost two JUCO DB recruits to a conference rival, I completely believe this to be true. I’m sure it’s frustrating for a HC to have thought he fixed the biggest weakness on the team with some high caliber players, only to find out CU admissions says nahhhh.

A coaching search at this point in time is difficult at best and also filling out a staff. For continuity, Tucker staying is better but if he interviews damage is done, IMO.
I tend to agree with this. Unless this is completely fabricated it’s a rough situation regardless.

I suspect this is Mel playing hardball with the CU administration.

What do they care? I doubt Rick George wouldn’t allow whatever Tucker needs to compete. The administration I’m sure would gladly take the money and run. Even his contract was vetoed by certain douche BOR members, they’d be fine if he left.

The money differences make sense.

The admissions issues sound more like a crutch.
He came from Ohio State, LSU, Bama and Georgia. You think he’s ever seriously had to deal with admissions issues for recruits he’s wanted? Probably not the whole issue, but I could certainly see CU admission hurdles being a big eye opener to him, especially if it was discussed with RG and promised the hurdles would be lowered.

Back