What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mel Tucker leaves CU for Michigan State

He came from Ohio State, LSU, Bama and George. You think he’s ever seriously had to deal with admissions issues for recruits he’s wanted? Probably not the whole issue, but I could certainly see CU admission hurdles being a big eye opener to him, especially if it was discussed with RG and promised the hurdles would be lowered.
Yeah admissions being harder shouldn’t be a big issue on its own, but if promises were made and not being kept that’s a problem.

I’d bet he wants easier admissions and more money for his staff. Probably both. I’d bet this is a negotiation ploy or shot across the bow. Thing is, while the arrow is pointing in the right direction, he isn’t in a position of strength based on results. So interviewing with MSU is his ammo.

So, it’s clear the difference between these two programs is money, because otherwise it’s a lateral move, at best. So, you can’t blame the guy for trying to make his family and himself more secure financially. That said, this would feel so much less icky if it was some all-time great program he was interviewing for—I could forgive him for that. But MSU is a middling program just like CU. If he takes this interview and comes back, he’ll have this program and the fans’ feet over the fire anytime ANY P5 coaching job opens up. You just can’t let that happen to your program, and that’s what depresses me the most.
I wouldnt say Michigan state is a lateral move, they were in the playoffs a few years ago and CU really hasn't been good for the better part of two decades.

The money differences make sense.

The admissions issues sound more like a crutch.
Admissions is a huge issue.

My first thought was Urban Meyer and this being the reason he has never taken his dream job at Notre Dame.

Being at a competitive disadvantage and being held accountable for things when they are outside your control and go against what you were told would be the job... well, that's not a recipe for promoting job satisfaction.

That said, we're also talking about a coach who is in the midst of fundraising events with boosters, just signed a new class, turned down his alma mater at Wisconsin, allegedly fired his last agent over job interest leaking when he was looking to go from DC to HC, and Michigan State is facing NCAA penalties coming off bad seasons & a recent run in recruiting & attrition that will already be difficult to recover quickly from.

This wouldn't make a lot of sense to me. It doesn't add up (other than MSU having interest and money). So I've only been casually following the story and won't freak out until I have something to freak out about. So far, it seems like one report that has turned into a bunch of other people reporting while citing that one report.

My first thought was Urban Meyer and this being the reason he has never taken his dream job at Notre Dame.

Being at a competitive disadvantage and being held accountable for things when they are outside your control and go against what you were told would be the job... well, that's not a recipe for promoting job satisfaction.

That said, we're also talking about a coach who is in the midst of fundraising events with boosters, just signed a new class, turned down his alma mater at Wisconsin, allegedly fired his last agent over job interest leaking when he was looking to go from DC to HC, and Michigan State is facing NCAA penalties coming off bad seasons & a recent run in recruiting & attrition that will already be difficult to recover quickly from.

This wouldn't make a lot of sense to me. It doesn't add up (other than MSU having interest and money). So I've only been casually following the story and won't freak out until I have something to freak out about. So far, it seems like one report that has turned into a bunch of other people reporting while citing that one report.
Preach, brother.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I hope you’re right but would seem there’s been plenty of time to issue a definitive denial at this point. The silence is deafening.

We can all debate the logistics and the behind the scenes promises and obstacles til we're blue in the face, but the fact of the matter is there is damage done here and we're probably looking for a new coach in a year or two either way. I'm all for looking out for yourself, but this was poorly handled by MT.

I also believe this is a message to the big money boosters. If you want to be elite again, step up to the plate. I believe MT has developed enough cred in one season to send that message. FHCMM never had this kind if clout.

That said, we're also talking about a coach who is in the midst of fundraising events with boosters, just signed a new class, turned down his alma mater at Wisconsin, allegedly fired his last agent over job interest leaking when he was looking to go from DC to HC, and Michigan State is facing NCAA penalties coming off bad seasons & a recent run-in recruiting & attrition that will already be difficult to recover quickly from.

Amen Brother and there were multiple mentions on the MSU Boards about the aggressiveness of the Search Firm trying to get the candidates figured out, and I think that this went from hey, Mel Tucker would be a good candidate to somehow being translated into hey, we are interviewing Mel Tucker. I think it makes no sense, I think Mel is pissed it happened this way, I think Mel is personally calling every single coach and player and when he is done with that, he will make a statement of firm commitment, and we move on.

No surprise that MT isn't answering texts or messages. Including Rick George. But one of the two need to step up to the plate with a believable press conference before the weekend is over and let everyone know what is going on. Lets see, recruiting, season ticket sales, boosters, alum, fans could go south.

Will Mel be on the sideline at today’s basketball game? Inquiring minds want to know. (Organ music)

I also believe this is a message to the big money boosters. If you want to be elite again, step up to the plate and fund the ****ing **** out of the election campaigns against certain regents.
FIFY.

I still believe that for pretty much any booster (and I include us here on allbuffs in that category), until certain regents are removed from office the most effective use of your CU donation dollars is funding election campaigns to replace certain regents.

Pretty sure he's on the CA booster circuit trail. San Diego event last night and one in Oakland tonight.
So, when would he be interviewing if he has all these events? It makes no sense! I wish we did not have Plati running anything messaging, this is 2020 and you need a more savvy PR department.

If MT leaves I'm blowing up that ****ing bobblehead they handed out at the game. I expected eventually a school would throw a ton of money at him and he'd leave. I never expected that time would be before he even took us to a ****ing bowl game.

Yeah admissions being harder shouldn’t be a big issue on its own, but if promises were made and not being kept that’s a problem.

CU never has and never will admit everyone. If that was the promise (which seems dubious), then yes, that is a problem.

Back