What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Montez

Statistics are only as meaningful as the results of those statistics. Lil Hawk had a bunch of CU passing records when he left CU but all we had to show was a lot of losses and offensive futility. Darian Hagan had relatively lousy passing statistics but he hit a lot of passes for big first downs or TDs in huge games.

Yes the jet sweep completions are a way of fattening up his percentage but as mentioned earlier those "throws" set up some other things including opportunities for some deeper balls. Those quick screens out to Viska are high percentage throws as well but unlike when Cody was throwing them they keep turning into big gains.

Worth mentioning that little toss on the jet sweep isn't as easy as it looks. It requires perfect timing and the ball has to be placed exactly so the receiver can control it while looking at the defense. Some teams bring the QB forward a step and have him reach and hand off but in this case if the ball is dropped it is a fumble. Montez also has the option if he sees the defense blowing up the play of pulling the ball out and going to a secondary man or of saving a loss of yardage by throwing the ball into the feet of the receiver for an incomplete pass.

Also if you want to get picky about statistics our average gain per rush is reduced by having victory formation kneel downs in multiple games. Those count as lost yardage and a rushing attempt. I'll gladly take the win and damage the statistics.
A) I’m agreeing with you
2) Remeber Liufao couldn’t hit the dink passes to left (the ones that some dismissing out of had from Montez as “padding numbers”) or kept throwing INTs on screens?
Point being, just because a pass is “supposed” to be easy doesn’t mean it is.

A) I’m agreeing with you
2) Remeber Liufao couldn’t hit the dink passes to left (the ones that some dismissing out of had from Montez as “padding numbers”) or kept throwing INTs on screens?
Point being, just because a pass is “supposed” to be easy doesn’t mean it is.
Just thought about the fact that if there is a drop by the receiver, it goes as an incomplete pass and not a fumble. Less chance of some defensive player blowing up the play and getting a turnover.

Not sure if discussed here or not. Who's a better NFL prospect ? Justin Hebert or Steven Montez?
A 'way too early' NFL Mock Draft has Hebert going to Denver as the 11th overall pick. They have Daniel Jones- Duke going to the Giants two picks earlier.
If Montez declared would he be considered better than Hebert ? Jones ?
I supposed maybe this question gets answered in the next two weeks.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...s-first-qb-off-the-board-replace-eli-manning/

Not sure if discussed here or not. Who's a better NFL prospect ? Justin Hebert or Steven Montez?
A 'way too early' NFL Mock Draft has Hebert going to Denver as the 11th overall pick. They have Daniel Jones- Duke going to the Giants two picks earlier.
Montez could make himself a lot of money with back to back good showings on national TV. If he just continues doing what he has already done, he will be in a great position.

He also is the kind of guy who could explode after a good pro day and a good combine.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...s-first-qb-off-the-board-replace-eli-manning/
Herbert is pretty much the concensus QB1 for the draft at the moment. Of course, that can and probably will change between now and late April, but I can’t imagine him being available at 11, short of his stock falling a little throughout the process like Rosen’s did last year.

C'Mon,
I want Montez back next season. We could be playing for the Natty with the returning talent.
Even if Montez leaves, we are going to be really good next year. We have a lot of talent at all positions and have some serious potential in the wings at QB.

Herbert is pretty much the concensus QB1 for the draft at the moment. Of course, that can and probably will change between now and late April, but I can’t imagine him being available at 11, short of his stock falling a little throughout the process like Rosen’s did last year.
Other than the Giants who else that looks to suck this year will be going after a QB?
Denver needs one and the Chargers are going to be in the market due to Rivers' age but to get one they would have to move up. Maybe Miami but not many others.
If Montez doesn't look like a top 10 pick and I were him I'd stay as I'm not sure demand will be as high for a QB in 2019.

Other than the Giants who else that looks to suck this year will be going after a QB?
Denver needs one and the Chargers are going to be in the market due to Rivers' age but to get one they would have to move up. Maybe Miami but not many others.
If Montez doesn't look like a top 10 pick and I were him I'd stay as I'm not sure demand will be as high for a QB in 2019.

DEN needs one
Miami probably needs one
LAC needs one for the future
NE needs one for the future
NYG need one for the future
GB need one for the future
DAL may need one, depends how Dak finishes the year
TB may want one
JAX could probably use one
IND and TEN could both probably use a good young QB to backup their starters due to health issues
SF may be in the market for a good young QB because of the injury to Garoppolo

Just thought about the fact that if there is a drop by the receiver, it goes as an incomplete pass and not a fumble. Less chance of some defensive player blowing up the play and getting a turnover.
Yep. Exactly. I think was actually mentioned a little earlier in this thread.

DEN needs one
Miami probably needs one
LAC needs one for the future
NE needs one for the future
NYG need one for the future
GB need one for the future
DAL may need one, depends how Dak finishes the year
TB may want one
JAX could probably use one
IND and TEN could both probably use a good young QB to backup their starters due to health issues
SF may be in the market for a good young QB because of the injury to Garoppolo

New Orleans needs one for the future (Brees is older than Rivers.)
Arizona needs one

I think it is no joke that based on what his teammates are saying about maturity and leadership, as well as just his skills and mental development that if we can keep Roper here for next year, as well as Chev that Montez could have an epic year in 2019, and could be a #1 pick in the NFL Draft. Really want him back next year, and I think it should happen unless he just tears it up and is pushed to go to the draft with the overall weakness of the class.

Previously posted how Montez **** the bed at Mich. I believe unjustly so. Tight game in front of 105K only minutes to warm up and how old was he at the time? Threw the long ball to the end zone to who? Of all people..Frazier...thanks Lindgren you dip ****. The next week at Oregon the outcome didn't surprise too much, give anyone a week to prepare from a backup to starter they will play better. At sc in 16 it wasn't Montez that lost that game, now he can draw from 16 as having been there and this is one reason why I believe the Buffs have a great chance to win tonight.

he ain't that big.

giphy.gif

Back