What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Montez

@wyobuff he wants to fight

wyo doesn't want any of this crazy...
dale.gif

Can we talk about how with his new stache that Montez looks like a more athletic and buffer version of Pedro Sanchez from Napoleon Dynamite?

Chiv too. He channeled his inner Lindgren tonight.

"They knew what we were going to do," said Colorado quarterback Steven Montez, who went 25 of 46 for 168 yards. "They kind of had us figured out, and when we had some good calls going, we would shoot ourselves in the foot with a bunch of different penalties. I think we've just got to clean it up. If we clean it up, it's definitely a lot closer of a game and I think we give ourselves a chance."

"They knew what we were going to do," said Colorado quarterback Steven Montez, who went 25 of 46 for 168 yards. "They kind of had us figured out, and when we had some good calls going, we would shoot ourselves in the foot with a bunch of different penalties. I think we've just got to clean it up. If we clean it up, it's definitely a lot closer of a game and I think we give ourselves a chance."
That’s because our offensive scheme has become so predictable. And I get that you have to rely on execution and the old football axiom that “even if they know what’s coming, if you execute, you will succeed.” But when the other side has as much or more talent than you do, you need to change things up some.

I posted in the game thread specifics but Montez is not carrying out the play fakes. Many plays are designed to make the D account for Montez when he hands off. He is simply watching the play after the handoff and making no attempt to carry out the fake.

This is not new. See 2:33 left in 1Q KD Nixon on jet sweep.

That’s because our offensive scheme has become so predictable. And I get that you have to rely on execution and the old football axiom that “even if they know what’s coming, if you execute, you will succeed.” But when the other side has as much or more talent than you do, you need to change things up some.
It's not even changing things up. It should be a matter of going to the next option on the play tree which counters whatever the defense is doing with scheme to stop the base plays. That's basic offensive design and play calling.

I think we had 3 things all working wrong. 1) Chev got schooled by Pendergast and also did some stuff that was just stupid in his stubborn insistence on making it about Viska; 2) Montez was locking on instead of going through progressions; and, 3) OL play severely limited what was going to be available through its missed blocks and penalties.

Kind of surprised that Chev is nowhere to be seen on Twitter....he is constantly tweeting. Must be pissed as hell.

He’s a new play caller and got schooled...hopefully he’s pissed at himself and learns from this beat down.

Yep, agree completely. I hope the cost of the lesson didn't do any long-term damage.

I do like that the D played much better in the second half (just as we've seen all season). Gave up only 3 and that was after an onside kick. We are 1 cornerback away from being really good on Defense.

Still on track to win 8 as most predicted. Hard to win more than that until we start recruiting better on the OL.

I went to sleep at halftime. I could see out IL was getting eaten up by USC. Plus I had to be up at 4 am for a flight (was on the east coast) and being super tired and grumpy as hell didn’t sound like fun.

Still need OL and a good CB.

Remember. Josh Allen was actually a pretty bad statistical QB and didn’t lead Wyoming to a ton of success and was still a top 15 pick. One poor game doesn’t change anything regarding Montez NFL prospects after this season. The thing that might is the offense he runs. It’s clear the ONLY reason he’s been as “efficient” w his comp numbers is because almost half his passes are basically extended handoffs. Also, contrary to what Mtn says, he does not play in an offense that requires him to go through progressions regularly. Any NFL coach is going to need to design an offense completely around him and his strengths.

OK, so Montez says they knew what we were doing, and even though he is learning the game much better than anyone we have had in a long time due to coach Roper, he has to look over to the sideline to get the play confirmation or to change the play. His words tell me that he possibly wanted to change some play calls on his own? Is there any chance he has that right?
I agree with the fact that our play caller got schooled and needs to learn from this quickly. Not having the Tight End involved is really frustrating, as well as us regressing into poor route trees. I was interested about how we would pull two linemen, and the moment that happened, they would attack that transfer point and crash the area and thus kill the run play. What were the potential adjustments for that? Seemed like once we got basic and kept linemen in pure pass protect, we were much better off? Seems like Screen plays would have worked on some of these situations.

Remember. Josh Allen was actually a pretty bad statistical QB and didn’t lead Wyoming to a ton of success and was still a top 15 pick. One poor game doesn’t change anything regarding Montez NFL prospects after this season. The thing that might is the offense he runs. It’s clear the ONLY reason he’s been as “efficient” w his comp numbers is because almost half his passes are basically extended handoffs. Also, contrary to what Mtn says, he does not play in an offense that requires him to go through progressions regularly. Any NFL coach is going to need to design an offense completely around him and his strengths.

Right. People also really overrate completion percentage. It is only worth noting when it is bad (sub 60%).

I posted in the game thread specifics but Montez is not carrying out the play fakes. Many plays are designed to make the D account for Montez when he hands off. He is simply watching the play after the handoff and making no attempt to carry out the fake.

This is not new. See 2:33 left in 1Q KD Nixon on jet sweep.

I noticed this on several plays. He needs to follow through and "sell" the fake.

Helton’s post game presser makes it vary clear that shutting down CU’s offense is done by getting Montez off of his spot. Take away his launch point to take away CU’s offensive production.

Maybe time for Roper to allow Montez to practice his broken play improvisation skills that have been beaten out of him?

Helton’s post game presser makes it vary clear that shutting down CU’s offense is done by getting Montez off of his spot. Take away his launch point to take away CU’s offensive production.

Maybe time for Roper to allow Montez to practice his broken play improvisation skills that have been beaten out of him?

Now that he’s solid in the pocket (when he’s got time), yes. Drove me nuts when he was trying to do something fancy on every passing play.

When be he leaves the pocket at a 45 degree angle backwards, it's over. That's reverting to old habits. Which is what they've been beating out of him!

Why not intentionally move your QB off his spot with mini rollouts and other planned launch changes. Initially you keep things solid and see how your OL handles it, but if you are getting beat in a certain area, then creatively move your QB to a new spot with blocking schemes. When Montez was allowed to throw the ball downfield, he is deadly. I think that the little behind the line stuff just brings more pressure, especially from a very athletic defense. Just do not rollout on purpose to cut the field in half and keep the QB in motion, so he throws a risky ball. Aaron Rodgers slides and moves to new spots all the time and it makes for clean windows. (I am in no way comparing Montez to Rodgers, so save that response!)

Was at the game.....Montez was deer in the headlights. Happy feet. Panic. Offensive game plan was predictable and deplorable. Knew after they went backwards after the first pick that the Buffs were in trouble. The USC crowd was...well...ready for a loss. Student section was weak. Strangest college environment Ive visited. Coliseum seating for visitors is...ugh....ridiculous. Hope Miller isn't permantly damaged...man he got schooled. Fun tailgating with the SC fans....some decent folk.

He’s a new play caller and got schooled...hopefully he’s pissed at himself and learns from this beat down.

I hope he thinks, and sees, he got schooled. If he's pissed at himself better yet, but I wonder if he thinks he made the right calls, and like HCMM said, it was the players who didn't execute.. We'll know in less then a week what the answer is.......

I hope he thinks, and sees, he got schooled. If he's pissed at himself better yet, but I wonder if he thinks he made the right calls, and like HCMM said, it was the players who didn't execute.. We'll know in less then a week what the answer is.......
My guess is HCMM told coaches and players to get off of social media and start focusing on Washington. All the bull**** instagramming and tweeting got way out of hand.

1de8b11c7e0e889d9a87b83d5bb68845.png

Back