What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Montez

Interesting statistic. Seems kind of a silly thing to keep track of, but ok.
Thanks.
It's just a way to see some adjusted statistics since so much of college football has evolved into the dink and dunk. It's also why the comp percentage needs to be taken with a grain of salt. He's getting at least 4-5 completions/game for catching the snap and barely tossing it forward to KD/Viska/Brown on the Fly Sweeps. Very similar to Geno Smith at WVU, where he had a 71.2 comp % due in large part to that same play.

It's just a way to see some adjusted statistics since so much of college football has evolved into the dink and dunk. It's also why the comp percentage needs to be taken with a grain of salt. He's getting at least 4-5 completions/game for catching the snap and barely tossing it forward to KD/Viska/Brown on the Fly Sweeps. Very similar to Geno Smith at WVU, where he had a 71.2 comp % due in large part to that same play.
Yeah...but it'd be interesting to take out his jet sweeps and throw aways when no one is open...because one inflates his accuracy the other reduces it. From only watching the games (since I don't know of any stats that back this stuff out), I think he is still really accurate.

The way CU runs it, it's a pass. Montez pitches it forward to the motion man. That's one reason why he's hitting 75% of his passes.
One reason, but its not like he is missing on that many downfield passes that are not throwaways. Seems like at worst he would still be close to 70% without the jet sweep.

Edit: What Bufffan68 said.

Yeah...but it'd be interesting to take out his jet sweeps and throw aways when no one is open...because one inflates his accuracy the other reduces it. From only watching the games (since I don't know of any stats that back this stuff out), I think he is still really accurate.

He is probably in the 60-65% range if you take all those out (which is still pretty solid), it just wouldn't look as extraordinary as his 75+% now.

I would speculate that he gets 4-5 completions per game on the fly sweep stuff and also has 4-5 incompletions on throwaways, so probably evens out on those. However, it's not just the fly sweep stuff. It's that little dump pass to Viska in the flat, WR screens, and short hitches that probably account for 50% of his pass attempts. I'm not trying to knock him at all, just pointing out that this offense is very QB-friendly and conducive for inflated % numbers.

Agree. I would also point out that for the first time in years, we have a QB that I have VERY rarely said to myself "that was not a good throw". Dude is throwing dimes. The only really bad throw I can think of him making on the year was in the Nubs game @ the left flat where he drilled it into the turf, 5 yards in front of a wide open Mac. I am sure he has made other poor throws, but they are few and far between. His mechanics and decision making are light years ahead of last year.

Agree. I would also point out that for the first time in years, we have a QB that I have VERY rarely said to myself "that was not a good throw". Dude is throwing dimes. The only really bad throw I can think of him making on the year was in the Nubs game @ the left flat where he drilled it into the turf, 5 yards in front of a wide open Mac. I am sure he has made other poor throws, but they are few and far between. His mechanics and decision making are light years ahead of last year.
His pick against CSU is the only other throw where it was a legit bad pass this year.

How can we tell that CU is having a great football season so far? There are numerous posts of discussion quibbling the stats and whether jet sweep to WR is a pass or not, favorable impact on QB completion stats, etc. Let's go Buffs...keep up the winning ways.

Montez probably got a little over confident in that situatuon. It was meaningless, but also a bad decision on his part.

There, was that so hard?

Statistics are only as meaningful as the results of those statistics. Lil Hawk had a bunch of CU passing records when he left CU but all we had to show was a lot of losses and offensive futility. Darian Hagan had relatively lousy passing statistics but he hit a lot of passes for big first downs or TDs in huge games.

Yes the jet sweep completions are a way of fattening up his percentage but as mentioned earlier those "throws" set up some other things including opportunities for some deeper balls. Those quick screens out to Viska are high percentage throws as well but unlike when Cody was throwing them they keep turning into big gains.

Worth mentioning that little toss on the jet sweep isn't as easy as it looks. It requires perfect timing and the ball has to be placed exactly so the receiver can control it while looking at the defense. Some teams bring the QB forward a step and have him reach and hand off but in this case if the ball is dropped it is a fumble. Montez also has the option if he sees the defense blowing up the play of pulling the ball out and going to a secondary man or of saving a loss of yardage by throwing the ball into the feet of the receiver for an incomplete pass.

Also if you want to get picky about statistics our average gain per rush is reduced by having victory formation kneel downs in multiple games. Those count as lost yardage and a rushing attempt. I'll gladly take the win and damage the statistics.

Bad plays are bad plays, but that's just me.

Love Montez this year. Don't cheapen what he's accomplished by lying about it.
I'm sorry but quit being a Bitch Snow. ; ) ****, even Brady throws a bad one now and again. My point is, Montez is night and day better this year and it's due to his comfort in the pocket, better feet and knowledge of reads. It just goes to show what an exceptional coach like Roper can do and also what good quarterback play does in this day and age. It will be fun to watch him progress even more as the season goes on. Next year with him and Shenault back and with a solid veteran OL, should be even better.

I'm sorry but quit being a Bitch Snow. ; ) ****, even Brady throws a bad one now and again. My point is, Montez is night and day better this year and it's due to his comfort in the pocket, better feet and knowledge of reads. It just goes to show what an exceptional coach like Roper can do and also what good quarterback play does in this day and age. It will be fun to watch him progress even more as the season goes on. Next year with him and Shenault back and with a solid veteran OL, should be even better.
I do what I want! Also, I wasn't arguing with you. You didn't say anything stupid. also, you are very large

I don’t discount the dinks and dunks because he puts the receiver in a position to make a play. While we generally completed these in the past, the throws were usually low, behind the receiver, etc.

Back